What DAC are you using with your CJ

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

What DAC are you using with your CJ

Post by jahatl513 »

As the title says, what DAC are you using with your CJ set up? Just want to know recommendations from real users; no speculation.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What DAC are you using with your CJ

Post by admin »

None other than the CJ D/A-2b. I really like the sound and it's unlikely to be replaced (unless CJ introduces a new DAC).

I wrote a pretty lengthy review awhile back here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=205
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
sleepysurf
Regular
Regular

Post by sleepysurf »

Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB MKii, with Squeezebox Touch.
Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

PS Audio DirectStream
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. Exasound E-32 with the UpTone JS-2 linear power supply. There is a newer upgraded model MKll, but I am very happy with this one. The quality sound of this DAC revivals many DACs costing twice or more. I am very happy with the quality of this DAC.

Happy listening.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

Yesterday I got my new linear power supply from UpTone model JS-2 for the Exasound E-32 DAC. I never thought that this change could bring so much to my stereo system. Basically the harmonic texture has changed for good. I had some brightness on some recordings that now is just pure music. Also I am getting deeper bass and extended highs. I do not understand why is this. But this LPS is a product that must be taking for a serious listening. I read good things about this product at computersudiophile.com and I dicided to do the effort. I am now with my ears wide open!
Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

Chord 2Qute here. Although I am an analog guy listening mostly to LPs in think the Chord is a great DAC
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Right now I have a Bricasti M1SE. They have an update available that installs a network connection which is Roon ready. I’m a little torn about doing that or investing in a new dac. I also believe they are adding an option for MQA. I need to contact the manufacturer and see what they are offering.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola..the Exasound E-32 MKII now has the MQA possibilities. You can check this Wonderfull DAC at www.exasound.com

Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

For now I am just using the DAC in my Oppo 105. In the interrim I may decide to get the Sonica DAC and a Sonore microRendu to handle the streaming properly. (The Oppos cannot do gapless over a network.)
Joe Appierto wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am PS Audio DirectStream
That is my "end game" as well, with a Bridge II. Or I may go the Directstream Jr. since it is a little closer to my pay grade.

I'd look into a C-J, but so much of what I own now is high-res or DSD that I need those capabilities. I like also that the Directstreams use FPGAs rather than DAC chips, so even the sound of the DAC can be upgraded simply by upgrading the software, and new file formats and streaming support can be added again just by upgrading the software. Future-proofed. :)
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I am not sure how many future updates there will be beyond the current OS called Redcloud. That having been said, the release of the newest one, Snowmass, should be soon.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

From what I gather, this DAC will be around for a while yet, so I feel OK about getting one eventually. One good thing about this is that there are a lot of them for sale as previously owned, and when I'm ready I can wait for the right deal to come along.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Just an update--I did get the DirectStream Jr. about two months ago and have been revisiting my collection again. I can't believe what a step up it is from the Oppo 105 I was using. The Bridge II still has a couple of hiccups, but I've been streaming from a Synology NAS, and using an Intel NUC computer on the network to run Roon Core and a couple of other processes I've offloaded from the NAS. The DS Jr. is discontinued (or as Paul said at AXPONA, "We killed Junior"), but they still are supporting it in the future since the basic architecture is the same.

PS is introducing a new DAC later in the year or early next year--the Obsidian Ted Smith Signature DAC, which in essence is a two-chassis DAC with the digital and analog separated, connected by a fiber optic cable (not TOSLINK, but genuine fiber optic). The digital chassis will have a full-width touchscreen on the front. It wasn't yet in operation, but think of it as an "ultimate DirectStream" in that it's a no-holds-barred design. Price is expected to be $20k-ish.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Wildcat,

It looks that you have Nirvana too. Good for you. I did use the Oppo long time ago, and I was very happy, until I heard the Exasound E-22. I did the change and now I am using the E-32. There are forbidden downloads from certain Internet connections here in Costa Rica, so I have to use external hard drives to storage my music. It works fine, but I do not have the library that you can get.
My sound? Since I am with Conrad Johnson, I am in Nirvana. My dac works beautifully with the Signalyst HQPlayer. This is a fantastic software for DSD files and PCM. There are a lot of variables using this software that you can not find in other computer software for music. The overall sound is very. crispy and not edgy at all. There are no harsh or distortion. The quality is quit impressive. The main software is ASIO. When I use iTunes, the CoreAudio is.

Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drlung
Beginner
Beginner

Post by drlung »

benchmark1 HDR. i am looking to replace. i use CJ preamp, PV12 or usually ST2. Does CJ mplan on making a new DAC, or is it staying in analogue reproduction
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I was kind of hoping CJ might one day make another DAC, but who knows? With the change of ownership, perhaps they might consider a DAC with a great CJ analog stage. The only caveat is that today, a DAC needs to be able to play high bit rates and also handle DSD. I know some don't use DSD, but others (like me) may have dozens if not hundreds of titles in DSD that we would like to be able to play. I had toyed with getting a CJ DAC anyway, but with most new albums coming out in high-res, that means I would not be able to play many of the titles I own.