CJ DF-2 cd player

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

CJ DF-2 cd player

Post by billyz »

Well my beloved CJ cd player has lost it's laser. It was a fine sounding cd player and I found no desire to even try another. I initially a/b'd it with several fine player and found it to be the best for my taste. However, last year it started acting out, eventually stopped reading the disc. I did some online research and decided to try replacing the laser. I nearly succeeded in that it did start reading but skipping etc. I figured I somehow fubarred the laser and tried another, and I tore the fine ribbon cable. I think young girls must install the ribbon, i am just too fumble fingered to to do it. I am considering to sell it to some one who has the skills to replace the laser. I emailed CJ about it and got no response.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ DF-2 cd player

Post by admin »

I just recently acquired a CJ D/A 2-b processor. I would love to pair the DF-2 up with this. I am a little scared however to take on the challenge of trying to replace the laser myself however. May I ask what ballpark figure you were looking for? I don't think I could justify a substantial amount of money into a piece of equipment that I probably have a 15% chance of ever getting to work (that's probably optimistic in my case as I am not very skilled in electronics). However, it would be a fun project.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by billyz »

Unfortunately I just sold it on Ebay and got what I thought was a fair price. I will miss it as it did sound great, but I do enjoy being able to play the newer mp3 disc and more home computer disc. The DF-2 always was finicky about those. I mostly listen to vinyl anyway , a Lenco l75.
Good Dog Jocko
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Good Dog Jocko »

I have used a Rotel RCD-855 CD player since 1991. That is almost 23 years of service. I did have to make a few minor repairs along the way, but being a biomedical engineering guy, it wasn't a big issue. I know that its laser is about to die as well. Some CD's it has trouble reading. Things are gradually worsening.

However, since my Rotel RCD-855 and your C-J DF-2 were created, better stuff has come on the market. Digital was a rapidly developing medium when our CD players were created.

My Sony DVD/CD/SACD player is a better player, and it is 2002 technology. It cost less than the RCD-855 and does more and does it better. You can buy a used RCD-855 on eBay for less than $50 ,and that is what it is worth compared to other players that are newer and more capable. Your C-J DF-2 CD player is no different.

Author Salvatore, among others, has noted that digital is where you do NOT want to spend big money as the lower cost stuff is very close to the most expensive stuff, unlike analog turntables and phono cartridges. C-J seems to have gotten the message a long time ago and dumped digital as one of their areas of concern.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with your comments. I find that digital technology is advancing so quickly that top of the line units from a decade ago often have difficulty competing "bargain bin" units of today. I use an oppo CD player as I use an external DAC and it's nice to have the ability to play CD's, DVD's, and SACD's all in one player.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
weckenmann
New User
New User

Post by weckenmann »

Hello,
i leave in France, i've buy a CJ DF 2 on Ebay uk.

It don't work. Do you know where i can find Schematic ?

Thank you.

Christian
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

weckenmann wrote:Hello,
i leave in France, i've buy a CJ DF 2 on Ebay uk.

It don't work. Do you know where i can find Schematic ?

Thank you.

Christian
Christian,
Welcome to CJO. I don't think we have a schematics file for that model. You can find all our schematics files in the "troubleshooting" section of the forums.

What kind of problem are you having, maybe we can give you some advice on troubleshooting the problem?
-admin