Conrad Johnson da 2B digital converter

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
Vagante
Beginner
Beginner

Conrad Johnson da 2B digital converter

Post by Vagante »

So a friend of mine is giving me one of these. I have not received it yet but look forward to trying it out. It will be replacing a McIntosh MCD 205 CD player which has some issues. My question is how would this matchup with a Cambridge audio transport? This is the one that is simply a transport and sells for $499.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Conrad Johnson da 2B digital converter

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, nice to learn about another McIntosh CD player. I currently use a MCD301 SACD player, wonderful musical instrument.
Many years ago I had the CJ DV2B, it was a superb machine but failed in the tropics! Later sold it off but still to this day I haven't owned anything that good, other than the MCD301 but it's not tube, rather solid state.

The DA2B will be a great upgrade and you will like the sound. It is very musical and lively, also brings out the best in reference recordings. The Cambridge Audio transport is fine, as long as it's kept for that purpose. Cambridge Audio also makes some very good sounding equipment and value for money but they are not close to high-end sound where transparency and resolution is of greater importance, hence would cost far more...

I think this should be a pretty good combination, better to audition first, and make sure it sounds exactly what you're after. You should experience greater resolution, finer detail in all frequencies, extended highs, open midrange and tuneful bass, with low frequency extension. Your amplifier should also be able to pick this up and match well with the speakers, therefore it is not just the source that's going to make a significant difference, rather the system as a whole synergy of musical instruments.

Cheers and have a good one!
RJ
Vagante
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vagante »

Thank you so much for that reply. That is the best and most informative information I have received on this unit after searching the internet for anything on the Conrad Johnson da 2B. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I use a CJ DA2B in my system and absolutely love it. I think you will really like it as well. I find that it it really adds an extra level to my CD listening and takes out the harsh "digital sound" of some of their sub-optimal mastered albums.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.