re: CJ DV 2b cd player

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
hornbeck67
Beginner
Beginner

re: CJ DV 2b cd player

Post by hornbeck67 »

Does the DV 2b work best with CJ supplied tubes or with Mullard 6GK5's (nos)? thanks
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: re: CJ DV 2b cd player

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate, greetings from down under;

Just came across your post, sorry it took over a month to reply and no one has replied either...

Anyway, from what I know: I used this CD player along with my previous pre-power combo- PFR & Premier 11A driving a pair of Maggies MG3.5/R, back in 1999/2000.
At the time I received this unit they had the Mullard's. After about a few months, the entire transport / laser pick up unit failed. It went belly up mainly due to the excessive climate we had back in Colombo. And then my PFR caps started failing as well, one by one. This was the time I ventured away from CJ and leaned more towards VTL & Manley. Of course after a while, over another decade, I ventured back towards CJ and never looked backed, you just can't beat their musicality.

In my experience, I can claim that either CJ's tubes or the Mullard's would work just fine, probably both relatively equal. It's quite hard to tell, especially input gain tubes but with phase inverter & output tubes, the level of quality / musicality is fairly obvious.

If you really want that "special" sound and you are willing to cough out the extra dollars, I would go with CJ supplied. On the other hand, if for a little extra savings, the Mullard's from any reputable tube store would be fine. If you can afford a bit more, try both that way you can tell the differences, if any...
Cheers and all the best!
RJ
Mojofilter17
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Mojofilter17 »

Hello Sir - I know it's been years since this post, but wondering if you still have your dead CJ DV 2b player? I would be interested in buying it from you.
Thanks,
- Tim
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

Just read your post regarding the CJ CD player. Do you know anyone that works on these players. Mine still works flawlessly but I’ve often thought about replacing the transport/laser. From what I’ve read, this is the part that tends to fail. Unfortunately, CJ stopped servicing the player - no parts are available.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As you pointed out, CJ has stopped servicing the player. Certainly there are no "new" transports for that player and haven't been produced in 30 years. This would certainly be a hard fix.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

I replaced the tubes with CJ supplied tubes. I can’t provide an honest opinion. However, I think there are only 2 tubes. I played it safe a just called CJ and ordered the tubes.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

Hard fix, definitely agree. However, I honestly don’t know if someone has upgraded the transport. I know a few people replaced the transport a number of years ago. Don’t know if it is still possible today. My player still works but I know at some point it may die a slow death. I try to limit its use today and stream music with my Lumin U2 mini.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you want to make it as future proof as possible, the best thing you can do is buy a backup unit. I'm into laserdiscs and no players have been made in 2 decades so I'm kind of stuck. I actually have duplicates of some of my models so if/when it breaks, I can use the other or combine parts.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

Unfortunately, in my case, most dead units probably had the transport fail. From what I’ve been able to read on a few different sites, the transport is the weakest link. It may be next to impossible to find a spare working transport. When is crashes, I don’t know if I will replace it with another CD player. With the quality of steamers and online music files, a CD player has already become obsolete.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, the mechanical aspects of any player are probably going to be the first thing to fail, and also the hardest to replace. Although the transport itself can most likely be taken apart so unless the identical component in both transports have failed, there may be a chance.... but again it's luck of the draw.

This is why I have like 4 laserdisc players despite only using one. I just know that in 20 years it's going to be a big problem to keep them running.
-admin