Announcing the conrad-johnson CA-45 control amplifie

From tubes to solid state.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Announcing the conrad-johnson CA-45 control amplifie

Post by joeinid »

We are pleased to announce the new conrad-johnson CAV45 control amplifier, designed to satisfy the needs of those seeking a high-quality vacuum-tube integrated amplifier.

Unlike a typical integrated amplifier, a control amplifier eliminates the preamplifier stage altogether, thereby eliminating its inherent distortions, at the same time preserving the integrated amplifier’s performance advantage of avoiding interconnect cables between control section and power amplifier as well as the cost advantage of consolidating these functions in a single chassis.
The CAV45 employs a pair of classic EL34s in each channel to produce 45 Watts per channel. As with all conrad-johnson tube amplifiers, output tube biasing is simplified by the use of our built-in bias circuit. The CAV45 accepts three line-level inputs. Exceptional parts quality is the rule at conrad-johnson, and to this, the CAV45 is no exception.

Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Announcing the conrad-johnson CA-45 control amplifie

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe, nice one! well done CJ.
what a beautiful work of art, looks really retro.
This looks like a true classic, I also prefer those wonderful transformer caps, nice and neat. Certainly not like those butt ugly trannies exposed in the classic 60, although the classic 60 sound is simply superb.
I remember the Cav50 very well, driving a pair of Sonus Fabers, beautiful very musical. had that caramel effect...

This would certainly be a nice amp to try out on stats, must check if and when it arrives to Aus. I am actually waiting for cj's next 60 watter in line or the 300B, which for me would be an ultimate. I don't think cj would put out a 300B though since production / reliability is an issue. cj always sticks to reliable and available factors, hence the choice of the EL34 tube. being around for decades, well regarded in the midrange and their imaging. I remember when I first had the Premier 11A on triode config, the soundstage was remarkable. Then got it converted to ultra-linear with 6550's to drive the maggies, which was better than the standard EL34 but didn't quite have that lush midrange compared to fantastic bass. I guess these were the trade offs... What really got me going was the ARTSA with EL34's and the KT120's, both were awesome with stats being controlled by the GATS2. Completely different ball game here both in terms of cost and performance but I must say any cj amp will give you that simple musical pleasure nor matter what model, it's in their DNA and they have preserved this for as long as possible.

I truly hope they can keep these designs up and continue to manufacture in the USA, I'd just hate to see them shift production off shore, and then standards suffer. I'm sure CJ is well covered and has a well thought out plan for the long term, after all the company is headed by economists...
Have you heard the Cav45 as yet?

RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi RJ,

I have not heard it yet but I really want to. I was/am considering the Classic 60 with upgraded parts and the EL34's. I am sure the CA-45 will be a great little piece. 45wpc vs 60wpc. Tough call but the CAV45 makes a compact system.

It was supremely satisfying to see the new CJ website layout. Gives me hope all is well in CJ land and hope to see more gear coming out.

I've heard of a KT-150 based amp (possibly ARTsa style) by years end. Could it be? Finally! Fingers crossed.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe,
Now that would be interesting to have a cj design around the KT150. Although the KT120 is hardly a difference, hence I thought cj wouldn't put out a KT150 since reliability & availability are still not established...
ARC has already jumped on this band wagon but I didn't like the overall sound that much compared to the Ref 75 with KT120's. The Ref 75 was a very nice solid sounding amplifier- plenty of power, headroom, solid bass, smooth highs, equally great midrange, easy of control and when required to thump, it would thump! However, I preferred the Classic 60SE, it had all those listed above taken to another level of musicality, with superb depth and layering, and of course that magical cj midband plus airy highs, you just can't beat that "just sounds right" feeling.

By the way, where did you hear about the possibility of cj putting out a KT150 amp?
Was it at the recent show/CES or somewhere? I'm waiting for a SE design or a 300B to come out from them but I think they shelved that idea a decade ago... What are your thoughts on a cj 300B or SE design Joe?
RJ :? :?
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Until recently, KT120 were sole source and still pretty much is for the most part. KT150 have been reliable and have proven themselves from my poit of view. ARC would not jump to KT150 if they felt there was an issue. But the "flavor" of ARC is not my first choice, CJ is my first choice.

I have an inexpensive Jolida with KT150. It is an awesome piece. I know CJ can and will do KT150's right or "better" for my taste.

I hear things and hope I am right re: CJ and KT150. I have no doubt that dropping in KT150's in my CJ amps would be a positive outcome but I still wait for their blessing. An amp tweaked for the KT150 would be amazing.

I feel a 300B CJ amp is NOT going to happen. Look how long it took to get even a new EL34 control amp. CJ moves like molasses, for better or worse.
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

Nice looking Integrated. Is there an SE version in the future? Wondering if this beauty can work well with Maggies.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

An SE version would be a nice option to have. I'd love a triode version if possible too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

By SE version do you mean one that'd use 6550 tubes and/or Teflon caps?
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Maybe just better parts? Not necessarily 6550's.
Joe Appierto wrote:By SE version do you mean one that'd use 6550 tubes and/or Teflon caps?
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Okay, thanks Joe.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

yes, SE version could well be a number of great upgrades. from KT120's to teflon caps, plus upgraded resistors, the usual good stuff that cj upgrades on-
similar to the mv60se and classic60se.
However, it would be interesting to see what actually comes out since this is a control amplifier, afterall all using sweet sounding EL34'S. An SE version would have to certainly better that performance, therefore the choice of tubes would definitely be critical.

keeping in mind that price range, I guess they can upgrade on parts. comparing this to the ArtSA using EL34'S in triode mode vs kt120's in UL mode is necessarily not an upgrade, rather a matter of personal preference. I for one certainly enjoyed the triode version, hence my real excitement on their newest designs incorporating the EL34. I can definitely tell this is going to be one sweet sounding wonderful amp.
Another classic by cj.
Cheers Joe & Joe!
RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

just sold off the last piece of cj gear, the Act2. very lucky new owner, he seems to be enjoying it as one should.
Therefore, feeling a bit sad since there is no cj gear in my system for now... using the little Jas 300B driving the Quads quite nicely especially during late night sessions.
on the happy side, I have placed an order for the new cav45. no SE version in sight, I was waiting though...
as soon as it arrives on deck, will forward a report.

on another note, whether this control amp can drive maggies, sure it can! However, all depends on the level of playback you are after. it won't drive a maggie to full potential, better off with a 60/70 watter in that case but for low to moderate levels, late night listening, the cav45 and maggies would be a fantastic match. I know this because I had a very similar amp cayin 50T driving a pair of mg3a's. This amp was only rated at 35w/ch ultralinear using EL34'S, the sound was very smooth and relaxing, could listen to for endless hours. However, when things needed to be turned up it ran out of steam. that's where the bigger mv60se or classic60se performed with far greater authority on the maggies.

I do know for a fact that the cav45 will be a match made in heaven with stats, because back in the day (25 years ago) my best experience was the cj prem 11A in triode mode partnered with a pv12 pre driving a pair of Quads esl 63's full range- wow! and that is exactly where I'm heading. of course a gat and art amp would be wonderful but I sincerely think the cav45 is far more sensible!
Cheers to all, and the music plays on...
rj
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Finally ordered the Cav45, arrives in 3 weeks from now. Dealer chappy is getting a few other CJ items in: LP125sa, ARTsa, CA150, Classic 60SE and a whole lot of pre's. I'm seriously considering the Classic 2SE pre with phono stage, sounded superb with the ARTsa.

Both dealer chap and I are actually waiting for a CAV45 "SE" version, as we feel that EL34's may not do much justice in the bass compared to KT120's. We'll have to see when it arrives. I also plan to drive the maggies MG3.7i's just for a comparison against the Classic 60SE which had no problem driving the maggies. I am sure the CAV45 will manage and do very nicely but of course within limits.

I'll let you know how it goes once it arrives down unda.
cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds like you are going to be in for a treat. Let us know your thoughts on the CAV45 when it arrives.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

I wonder how different it sounds than the CAV-50. Same power rating. Two less tubes (no 6sn7's) and missing the two big upright can capacitors used in the CAV-50. In other words, a different circuit.
cav-50 cover off.jpg
cav-50 cover off.jpg (193.33 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I will certainly let you know when mine arrives next week Tues/Wed!

I have used the CAV50 with Sonus Faber speakers and know its sound quite well. Utterly musical and very transparent are the two main attributes it delivers. Not a a very deep bass provider though, compared to the KT120 or KT150 but what it can do it the midrange is simply stunning!
I will be driving this with either my Quads or a new Martin Logan stat, I haven't quite decided on which model, it will be either the Ethos or Theos.
But for now, it will be the ESL 2905's driven full range.

As with the Ethos, it comes with built-in dual bass drivers with a 200 watt Class D amplifier on board. This means this amplifier can take care of all the bass required as it crosses over around 375Hz, and the CAV45 can just focus on the mids & highs controlling the panel- I think this should sound superb! I'm biting my fingers already, I don't know if this is nervousness or excitement...

BTW, funny looking thing when that transformer cover has been taken off. I also don't believe CJ ever uses those large tin can type caps anymore. This also gives a completely different sound in the audio stage but I think those big caps were used only as power reserves and not in the audio stage. Otherwise the CAV50 would never sound so musical.

Cheers Joe,
RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Another marvellous amplifier from CJ!

Well it finally arrived- hooray! What a nerve racking event that was, shipping, handling & the wait...
Took it out of the box last evening, and hooked it up and WOW! Very nice indeed!

Rated at just 45 w/ch of pure bliss from EL34’s, I knew straight away that this is going to be something good from the first note... The amp has a good healthy weight (around 20kg) and the chassis is exactly the same as the Classic 60 & MV60. Same basic circuit as the Classic 60, and the tube cage was the nice heavy gauge type used in their previous designs, not the flimsy ones. Sort of gives the amp an added overall stability for the front.
The transformers are much smaller than the Classic 60/SE, although the tubes are relatively the same for input/driver using triodes, plus a 6922 that is very quiet. I don’t hear anything of the usual “hiss” that I was used to with my ACT2 & Classic 60SE. The controls are very simple and have a crisp feel to it. The input selector has a wonderful solid “click” when making selections and the level control feels spot on whiles adjusting. I am wondering whether just 3 inputs would be adequate for multiple components but for me just two is fine.

Sound & performance: just for comparison, I found the sound to be similar to that of a Classic pre with the Classic 60 performance. The Classic 60 in triode version offers EL34’s and this was matched extremely well with the Classic pre. Taking this to another level with the ARTsa in triode mode using EL34’s, this is where I found the level of resolution to be surpassed. I know this may an unfair comparison, but I have heard it with my own ears, and really found the level of performance of the CAV45 to be bettered only by the ARTsa by a “far margin” compared to only marginal improvements over the other line up. No doubt these other amplifiers are well capable of further improvements over the CAV45 but for the value it offers, I strongly feel that the ARTsa in triode mode would be a worthy upgrade, and a very significant one if you were to follow that road.

Apart from that, if your system is very simple, and you don’t have an elaborate array of components to hook up, therefore by eliminating the line stage altogether, I feel that the CAV45 is the answer. It delivers superb musicality, and such a fine level of detail and resolution, what more is required?

Highs- very smooth highs, extremely relaxing and never harsh or overpowering, no glare or brightness whatsoever. The Cav45 delivers superb timbrel accuracy along with remarkable 3 dimensional imaging. From top to bottom, the scale is just superb! I could not find any flaws and it was well capable of driving the Quads (ESL2905) full range with ease. I have a relatively average sized room (not large), therefore this level of playback was more than adequate and it can play fairly loud when required without flinching.

Midrange- oh wow! This was the one main area I was after, and my golly does it produce some very sweat palpable midrange that is so captivating, you just cannot off the system... kept me up till 3am! The depth and full body is touchable; you can actually reach out and shake hands with all the performers. You can also tell, see and feel every breath of the singer. For example of Patricia Barber’s Cafe Blue, there is a track towards the end of the album where she uses body slaps and finger snaps as part of the music. This is SO real that you can actually visualise exactly where she’s clapping, slapping and snapping, it is so real and utterly transparent. Further on, the midrange tones of drums, vocals, strings and piano are just extraordinary in resolution and finer detail. Even the “salt shaker” can be visualised where the chap is standing and actually shaking this thing back & forth! Outstanding midrange along with those airy highs extends the performance to whole new level.

Bass- this was one area where I was really surprised! I didn’t expect much bass at all, infact I had already made an impression of loose, undefined and flabby bass. Oh! Was I wrong! The bass is very well controlled, tight and articulate. “Musical” and “tuneful” is what comes to mind and the ability to add even more resolution to the bass notes in all areas (upper-mid-lower bass). There was absolutely nothing lacking, and this amp was able to drive my Quads astonishingly well similar to the effect I had when I was using the Classic 60SE. The 60SE using KT120’s had lower bass and better impact, stronger bottom end with quite a lot of low level detail. I initially thought with the EL34, I was going to miss out on this. However, what the EL34 does with the bass is something quite different. It just doesn’t add more oomph or drops lower, rather it adds more musicality to the bass with a very fine line of resolution that allows you to actually see more through the bass, which I actually prefer over KT120’s. This is why I am so hooked on the sound of the ARTsa in triode, that is one superb all time amplifier.

All that I can say is, that this is the BEST purchase I have ever made in the history of CJ! I am absolutely thrilled with this amplifier, there really is nothing more than what is required from a true classic design in control amplification.

I highly recommend the CAV45 to anyone looking for simplicity/musicality/and superb performance in all aspects of music reproduction, it will certainly surprise you big time!
Cheers, RJ
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

Congratulations on getting your new amp RJ. Thanks for the review.

Anthony
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wonderful review, thanks for posting such a detailed breakdown of the CAV45's attributes. Enjoy!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day folks, from down unda Melbourne.
Just missed something important worth mentioning Re. to the CAV45:

Since this is a "control amplifier" it does not have an on-board linestage for inputs to be actively gained from linestage circuitry. By eliminating the linestage altogether, CJ finds this reproduction to be clearer and virtually eliminates noise.

CJ has kept the control circuitry as simple as possible with just 3 inputs that are equivalent electronically.

However, this is where there's a minor problem. If using a CD/SACD, Tuner, DAC or other sources it's fine, as these components have high level outputs that don't require active linestage to sound best. The problem is when using Phono- very low on the gain. A high quality phonostage with high gain would be best to allow the CAV45 to control levels more appropriately.

Since I'm using a simple Rega Phonostage, the gain is quite low. I have to turn up the level control on the CAV45 quite high to achieve decent playback. When I was using the ACT2 with the Classic 60SE, the Rega phonostage was more than adequate. I believe if I were to use a much better phonostage, such as a CJ or ARC or Allnic, this wouldn't be a problem.

It also depends on the recording, on certain LP's the level is fine but still requires a bit more oomph, whereas some LP's I can only listen to at certain volumes before things tend to generate too much noise, such as surface noise & pops/clicks.
Re. to CD/SACD's the level is quite high and the playback is superb. Therefore, a DAC or music DVD would work just fine as well.

Now I'm looking out for a phonostage as I feel the Rega Phono MM is not upto mark...
Any ideas or suggestions?