LP66s (4ohms) + Bw 805D (8ohms)?

From tubes to solid state.
F.salomao
Beginner
Beginner

LP66s (4ohms) + Bw 805D (8ohms)?

Post by F.salomao »

Hi, guys

I'm writing to obtain more information about the lp66s.

I've a pair of BW 805 diamond, which has a nominal impedance of 8 ohms (minimum of 3,5 ohms).

Knowing that the CJ lp66s is a 4 ohms tube amp (without factory changing), would it match well with my speakers?

Anyone has any experience with a similar setup? Are there any risks using this power with a 8 ohms nominal speakers ? The sound quality should be affect?

Hope hearing from you guys.

Thanks.

Best regards from Brazil.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LP66s (4ohms) + Bw 805D (8ohms)?

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. It's nice to have you with us. Most people would say that it is ok to run a 4 ohm amp with 8 ohm speakers. But not the other way (8 ohm amp with 4 ohm speakers).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
F.salomao
Beginner
Beginner

Post by F.salomao »

Thank you!

It's a pleasure to be part of this community.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

no worries at all with that one mate. Indeed the lp66s will have no problems whatsoever driving a pair of b&w's or any dynamic driver type in that range for that matter. cj amps can drive virtually anything unless it was a massive load like a formidable tower type Infinity or Dunlevy... or a notorious panel type like Apogee's or magneplanars. even these can be driven with cj amplification in the range of the lp66s or similar within limits.

it all depends on how loud you want to go? your actual listening levels, room size and the amount of air you want to push towards the listener position. judging that you have the 805d's infact the lp66s would be an ideal match.
I'm sure you will notice a wonderful expansive soundstage, fantastic midrange and smooth flat bass from this combination.
Enjoy and remember to bias the tubes as accurately as possible before serious listening.
Cheers, RJ
Bebop
Regular
Regular

Post by Bebop »

This week I acquired a LP66s (ET3SE pre in front) to pair with my 805S speakers and it's wonderful. It replaced a Quad 909 which I though was pretty good already, but the LP66s is just another level.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very nice mate.

Yes, as with the case in all CJ amplifiers, they are in a different league altogether. Not only to they offer more refined music but also engages you in the level of musicality that is hard to beat at that price range. There are quite a number of other brands that also deliver this superb level of sound but cost far more than CJ. The top line VTL's, Audio Research, Lamm and Kondo (Audio Note) amplifiers are at the top of that game. The average price starts at 100 grand, so we are talking drug money here...

Just enjoy your CJ gear mate, it will last a life time!
Cheers, RJ
Bebop
Regular
Regular

Post by Bebop »

Oh yeah. I'm done for a bit as I think the next step up is well beyond my means.

Keeping with the LP66s team, what power tubes do other owners use with this amp? I think I have a set of Svetlana 6550 in there. Not sure as its not marked at all. I'm thinking of a back up set of Tung Sol 6550 or Gold Lion KT88. Although, being relatively new to tubes, I'm a bit afraid of all this things I read about the tube failing.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the LP66s with your B&W's, very nice power amp indeed, should be a good combination by any means.

Having the 6550's in there and upgrading either to the following will give you a few options:
1. 6550C - SED's from Svetlana Electron Devices, made in Russia: very good tube, powerful with extended highs, smooth midrange and rounded good clean bass. Most widely used in CJ's previous amps such as the Premier series 11A, 12's & 8's. Was offered on the LP range of amps including the MV60SE but also offered KT120's as replacements by CJ, giving a fuller sound.

2. KT88 - very musical sounding, all of the above with slightly less force, more focused on the midband. Very widely used in McIntosh and Quad tube amps.

3. KT120 - Tungsol: probably the best overall ultra linear pentode out there, apart from the KT150 (which I didn't prefer). The KT120's highs and mids are glorious, and the bass is solid! Tight fast and powerful when called for. It will make your LP66s sound completely different.

All of these tubes are fine, it all depends on the ultimate sound your ears are after. One thing, please keep in mind you cannot use EL34's or KT77's on the LP66s as a direct replacement. These tubes would require a slight modification on the main circuit for current bias, plus closer to Triode config. Therefore, would be best done at the factory if you wanted to use EL34's or similar.

I have used all three output tubes as mentioned above, and they were all great in what they could deliver. For me though, late night listening and wanting that overall full sound, highly musical with superb highs-mids-tight & fast bass is definitely the EL34. However, I did enjoy the KT120 VERY much with the MV60SE & Classic 60SE more to do with the way these tubes could deliver great dynamics yet offer subtle nuances at the same time, without the artifices... However, they sound best when cranked up a bit, after all these are power beam tubes, and deliver a lot of power when required.

This is just my personal experiences and preferences, I am sure others will have different opinions and preferences, especially between KT120's & KT150's. Also the 6550C's have been around for a long time, and I know quite a few people who still prefer this tube over the KT series.

Cheers, RJ
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

One out put tube I would urge you to try is the Mullard reissue KT88 (Russian). Its 95% similar to the Gold Lion KT88 which is much more expensive. I could not hear the difference much like Kevin from Upscale Audio. I actually prefer them to the KT120. They Mullard's are slightly warmer than the KT120 and are more holographic.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
Bebop
Regular
Regular

Post by Bebop »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to take a look at those tubes. I think the KT120 is a bit too tall for me to use the cage. Which I need to due to having young kids. The Mullard looks interesting.
shag57
Beginner
Beginner

Post by shag57 »