Turn on thump

From tubes to solid state.
george_k
Regular
Regular

Turn on thump

Post by george_k »

Hi all,

New member here looking to add a CJ amplifier to my setup.

I read in an audio asylum review of the MV60SE that a thump will be heard when the amp is turned on. Can anybody confirm this? Is this the case with other CJ amps as well?

I currently have a Naim setup and the thump is an irritant.

Thanks,
George
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turn on thump

Post by admin »

I can't speak specifically to the MV60SE but my CJ Conrad Evolution 2000 amp makes a noise when it activates the output to the speakers after the warm up period. The sound comes from the switch in the amp and NOT the speaker. The lights in the house also dim slightly for a second when this happens.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey George, just came across your post.
I can confirm this, I had the mv60se for quite a while. To confirm there is no thump during turn on, the thump is apparent only when shutting down. Also, just to be sure, please remember to power up preamp first followed by the rest of your source equipment, and switch on the power amp last! Never switch the power amp first followed by the rest of the gear, not only a thump, you will experience a kaboom!
The thump is normal and doesn't affect anything.
Have a good one, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree with Big Dog RJ. General rule I use is turning on equipment in the direction of the signal path, and then in reverse for turning it off.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
macster
Regular
Regular

Post by macster »

This happens with my amp also, but is less of a problem (as in less noticeable) after I installed a dedicated 20A circuit for it. All of those other annoying system noises are gone also.

M~
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, correct. Having a dedicated AC circuit for your system is actually the BEST possible source of power conditioning.

Sometimes those lofty power conditioners such as the so called "high-end" ones really don't do anything other than drain your wallet! When such conditioners are installed, they do alter the sound one way or the other, and then we go "ah!" that sounds great!

At the end of the day, all the system really requires is clean dedicated circuit of either 15 or 20 Amps is more than adequate for hi fi. Afterall these are not commercial / industrial welding machines.

Having a voltage stabiliser and magnetic field stab is a fairly good requirement though, especially when you live in an old rented shoe box that was built in the 50's! The voltage was crazy at our place, biasing output tubes was a 1-2 hour pain in the BUTT process. I could never quite get it biased just as the LED goes off because it doesn't!
After they installed a new transformer around the block, plus upgraded power poles and digital meters at the mains, now it is far more stable. I still do get this thump even with the CAV45 after turn off.

Admin- It's quite funny when you stated that during switch on, your lights would dim! That's a sure sign of one powerful amplifier! Your EVO 2000 can also be sued to power the next NASA launch mate... similar to those massive Manley monoblocks I had with my Infinity system, the same dimming of everything would occur. Was actually kind of cool, reminded me of poltergeist!

Cheers, RJ