NEW !!! CA150 Control Amplifier

From tubes to solid state.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

NEW !!! CA150 Control Amplifier

Post by joeinid »

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_so ... index.html

Conrad-Johnson is pleased to announce the availability of the new conrad-johnson CA150 control amplifier – a power amplifier with level control and source selectors. A control amplifier is identical in function to an integrated amplifier, but without the additional distortions that would be inherent in a superfluous line-stage. Like an integrated amplifier, a control amplifier also eliminates the colorations of preamplifier to amplifier interconnect cables. The CA150 combines the circuitry of our popular MF2275 power amplifier with source selector circuits and a Burr-Brown precision level control.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEW !!! CA150 Control Amplifier

Post by admin »

Very cool. Interesting how they went with an integrated design. I wounder if they are trying to appeal to an audience that would like to go high end and maybe save a few bucks with an integrated unit? I guess it begs the question of what the price difference is between this unit vs a MF2275 and preamp would be. Can't wait to hear some reviews.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

It seems to have taken a long time for something to come out. I hope this is the start of a new round of gear from CJ !
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I certainly hope so. I would love to see something like a new DAC come out. Or maybe something crazy like a CD player... The HD3 is very nice, but I think to stay competitive with other brands they need something that has more than just a USB input. At the same time, I can see them just wanting to stick with their core expertise of preamps and amps.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I agree.

I am so curious if they are even considering any KT-150 updates.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I'd love to hear this compared to the CA-200 that I used to own. Never should have sold that piece. It was a little quirky but the sound was wonderful. You don't realize what you had until it's gone. Every time I see the newer CJ solid state gear, I think McCormack. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just I've never spent any time with them.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I've been very pleased with my CA-200 these past few years. It replaced some Premier tubed gear and while not a match in some areas, all-around I think it's excellent. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the power in-rush when when switching from standby to on has burned through a lot of aftermarket mains fuses. The HiFi- Tuning Gold XT (extra slow blow) was resistant to blowing but ultimately I preferred their Silver Star for its increased clarity. So now I just leave it powered-up all the time.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

That's so sweet looking. You know that initially they will make an affordable model then later release an SE version. I can see this becoming very popular real fast.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I'm thinking you mean a non-Teflon caps version originally versus a latter version with the Teflon caps. Based on my experience with the Premier 140 and if it's anything like that, get the Teflon caps.
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

Just saw the new CA150 for sale at the Spearit Sound web site. $4K.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Considering that takes care of both the preamp and amp stage, I think that is a very good price point for high end audio entry. I hope it becomes a success.
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

There it is! I had a strong feeling they would offer another pre-power combo. This will definitely position cj in that market of integrateds with high-end quality. This amp looks stunning, as was the case with the ca200. Can't really remember at what price point the ca200 was at. This new one will certainly be a good option for many out there, including new comers to the world of cj.

I hope I can audition one at the melbourne dealer just to compare against the ca200. He currently has a ca200 that was in for a trade-in. Great stuff indeed!
Cheers to those who are considering this amp, it will be something special.
Enjoy, RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The CA200 was $6,500 when it first came out. They go from the mid-$2k to mid-$3k range on the used market.

The CA200 clocks in at 185 wpc while the CA150 is a little less at 135 wpc. I'm sure there are other differences between the two under the hood.

If they do come out with an SE/Teflon caps version, I'm sure it'd sound superb (not that the current version is a slouch, I'm sure). Unfortunately there's no room in the CA200 for the larger Teflon caps.
C-J CA200
Polk T50
bgiliberti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bgiliberti »

Joe Appierto wrote:...
If they do come out with an SE/Teflon caps version, I'm sure it'd sound superb (not that the current version is a slouch, I'm sure). Unfortunately there's no room in the CA200 for the larger Teflon caps.
Based on my experience with the Classic SE preamp and the MF2550 power amp, Teflon caps make a more noticeable contribution to the preamp than to the power amp. I actually preferred the non-SE MF2550, whereas the Classic SE blew away the regular Classic preampm. (Far more extension on both ends, which the Classic really needed.) Given that there is no preamp here, I wonder if an SE version would be worth the considerable extra cost.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I picked up the CA150 second hand earlier this year. It is really transparent, although the lack of a line stage requires some getting used to since The volume control level seems to require a high setting.

The sound is really natural though. And it is dead quiet, even at very high volume settings.

I noticed that CJ says they can upgrade the CA150 to the CA150SE model. I called to ask about this.

I was told that it can be done, but it has not been requested yet, so my unit might be the first.

I was told that only about 10% of the original units were built to the SE spec, so they are rare.

Since I’ve enjoyed the cap upgrades and SE upgrades I’ve had done by CJ before, I’ve decided to let them do it.

It will go to the factory next week. Stay tuned. 😉
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

bgiliberti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bgiliberti »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:07 pm The volume control level seems to require a high setting. 😉
I consider that a plus...about the only thing I don't like about my Classic SE and PV7 preamps is that volume the control too sensitive on the line stage. I can only go to about 8 o'clock (about 1/8 of the entire range) before it gets too loud. Let us know how it sounds -- should be great with the upgrade.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It is at CJ now. I hope it will return next week, but no promises. I was talked into my first SE upgrade by Jack Tozzi at Spearit. I sure wish they hadn’t closed. Jack was so convinced it was worthwhile, he was willing to ship to me on my evaluation at home. Spearit was supposed to maintain some presence in a warehouse/listening room location, but if they did, it’s a mystery to me.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Meanwhile, I think at least one review of the CA150SE had it running a pair of ML CLS, forerunner of the CLX (hot discussion in another thread). It was reported that it had performed well.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

bgiliberti wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:42 am
Based on my experience with the Classic SE preamp and the MF2550 power amp, Teflon caps make a more noticeable contribution to the preamp than to the power amp. I actually preferred the non-SE MF2550, whereas the Classic SE blew away the regular Classic preampm. (Far more extension on both ends, which the Classic really needed.) Given that there is no preamp here, I wonder if an SE version would be worth the considerable extra cost.
It could have been the state of break in for the MF2550SE.

It Literally takes Several hundred hours to get to their sweet spot. It has been suggested to put the CD player on repeat and let the amp run 24/7 for two weeks.

The CJ-D Teflon caps are like Exquisite little truffles when they’re ripe. They might appear to be snake oil to the uninitiated ... but they’re really the pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow.