ET250S with Magnepan 3.7 or Martin Logan Montis?

From tubes to solid state.
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

ET250S with Magnepan 3.7 or Martin Logan Montis?

Post by Q3Di »

Hello,

I am new to this forum. My question could be old topic.

I have the ET250S and wanted to pair it with planar speakers. I like Magnepan 3.7 and Martin Logan Montis. Is ET250S a good match to pair with either speaker?
If you have to choose either 3.7 or Montis, which one would you choose? Why?
Let me know your thoughts if you have owned these or have listened to these.

Thanks,
Jim
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ET250S with Magnepan 3.7 or Martin Logan Montis?

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,
First off let me welcome you to the forum. I can't specifically comment on the ET250s as I do not own that unit, but I own a very similar powered CJ Evolution 2000 Amp, and I have used a Martin Logan Vantage in my system as well as a Mangnepan 20.1. So slightly different but same manufacturer and similar speakers.

Honestly, you should be perfectly fine with both as the ET250s should give you ample power to play either speaker. The Maggies are less sensitive so you will need more power if you want to play REALLY LOUD. Also, the Montis is going to have a more powerful low end due to the active woofer. The other consideration is the price. The Montis is twice the price of the 3.7's.

The truth is that I am a huge planar fan and really loved my maggies and Martin Logans. I don't think you will be disappointed either way you go. If you want to save some money, go with the Maggies, if you want to play really loud and have a powerful low end, the Martin Logan's will be a better bet. Otherwise it's really a toss up. If you have a chance to audition the two, that may be worthwhile.

Hope that helps!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day from down unda!
Just my thoughts and experiences with this:

The EVO2000 from c-j was a formidable design, there are just a few manufacturers who can match these during the day. It had a massive transformer with very "high current drive" that was capable of handling the "reactive loads" of electrostats. Although it is rated at around 200 w/ch, it could drive virtually any speaker on its own, and back in the day it was driving the mighty Apogee Diva's for a while, until the ARC 160 watt class A monoblocks were being repaired, my old pop's loveable system. The main system it was connected to were the big Martin Logan Monoliths, drove it effortlessly.

Having said that, I don't think the ET250 is built on the same standards of current stability as the EVO2000 amp. Why? here are my experiences:

1. The ET250 does not have the huge transformer compared to the Evo2000 (nearly 50lbs alone, giving the Evo2000 a total weight of nearly 120lbs).
2. The Evo2000 has 5 pairs of MOSFET output devices, together with the massive transformer it can deliver a serious amount of current required to handle speakers with reactive loads, this was its main design spec.
3. The ET250 smoked right in front of me whiles driving the QuadESL2905 stats! I kid you not, and my dealer buddy at c-j in Melbourne said the ET250 is definitely not a good match with large stats at all. Hence, we witnessed this with our own eyes.
4. The ET250 is rated at 250 w/ch which is good BUT this does not mean it can deliver close to anything of the current capability of c'j's tube power amps or the Evo2000 for that matter. The Evo2000 is in a class of its own. The only new design that could match or better the Evo2000 is the Premier 350. Then again the Premier 350 does not have that smooth sublime mid-range compared to the Evo2000's hybrid design, having triodes as input devices coupled with solid state devices will always better a true solid state in terms of "musicality."
5. True the ET250 does have Bi-polar output devices and Teflon caps and all those goodies but it will never match a Evo2000's capability.

Therefore, from what I have experienced, I don't recommend the ET250 with stats, however with the maggies it's fine. Driving the ribbons are not reactive loads rather solid wattage and stable power supplies is what is required to drive ribbons, and this the ET250 is capable of. In fact, it does sound quite wonderful driving maggies. I drove it for a while with my old MGIIIa's. With stats it's far better to use tube amps or other well known solid states that are capable of handling reactive loads.
When the amp shuts down, especially in a puff whiles driving stats, it is certainly not a pretty sight nor sound...

Cheers mate, and all the best in your system matching.
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RJ really gave a great and detailed analysis here. Sounds like it may be safer to go with the maggies in this case. The upside is that with going with the 3.7's you are going to safe yourself quite a few dollars that you can always put towards upgrades in other area's of your system.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

Thank you all for your input.
I also have a pair of Balanced Audio Technology BAT VK-55 tube mono. The dealer told me that they won't work well with Maggies. Will they work with Logan? The dealer also recommended me to pair Maggies with CJ MF series.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes! Good point Admin. The mg3.7 is definitely true value when it comes to absolute sound. Not only is it a superb sounding ribbon design with the right amplification but also reproduces recorded music with a great sense of balance and coherency. Since it is a full range ribbon afterall.

Reference to the Logan's, I've always found them to be "thin sounding" especially in that midrange to mid bass slam. Then kicks in their built in bass driver/sub, it just doesn't seem to deliver from one sonic wave. Anyway, the Logan's are great stats indeed. Many many years ago I enjoyed the clsIIz - full range stats. Great speed, quick mids/highs etc and looked wonderful too but huge gap in the bass and sounded thin. The Quads are miles apart. The newer Logan's are better designs but none of them could match the all mighty Statements EVII. That was a serious stat design and one very expensive pair of panels. In order to get all the elements right in stats you would have to pay so much for the Statements might as well go homeless!

To answer your question on the Bat amps: yes they will drive both the maggies and the Logan's quite well to a certain extent though. It all depends on your playback level/size of room/listening position etc. If you are a true music lover and enjoy near field listening, like myself, then 50 watts of single ended will be plenty.

If you are listening from a fare distance and like to crank it up so that the neighbor's cat loses it fur coat, obviously 50 watts is not going to deliver. The Bat amps are a great match on either ribbons or stats. It's a matter of preference, therefore only your ears will be the final judge.

If you're after that musicality factor with a sense of ease of endless hours of listening, c-j tube amps are the way to go, and they will drive either ribbons or stats with absolute pleasure.
Cheers mate, have a good one.
RJ