conrad-johnson premier 11a

From tubes to solid state.
nzlowie
New User
New User

conrad-johnson premier 11a

Post by nzlowie »

Hi all
I'm thinking of purchasing a premier 11a, I know back in there day they were a top class amplifier. How do they stack up with the latest amps with similar specs?

Thanks Dave
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: conrad-johnson premier 11a

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the site.

As for your question, it's hard to answer. I can't speak directly to the Premier 11a as I do not own that unit, but I've found CJ amps to be exceptional value, especially when buying on the used market. I use a CJ Evolution 2000 amp and I would put it up against anything modern in it's price range. Amplifier technology has not really changed in the last few decades so I don't think you would get anything "unique" in a new tube amp compared to an older unit.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Re: conrad-johnson premier 11a

Post by antaresbluespirit »

nzlowie wrote:Hi all
I'm thinking of purchasing a premier 11a, I know back in there day they were a top class amplifier. How do they stack up with the latest amps with similar specs?

Thanks Dave
Hello Dave

I agree, The latest Premier serie like the premier 11a or the MV60SE are good value in the used market..

I own the the second one for many years and the sound quality meet my expectations in term of balance,dynamics, and soundstage and there no crisp effect in the middle.

Take into account of a sensitive point, their proven reliability...

You have to spend more money to get a significant subjective listening improvement

go for one of these units if you find an opportunity!

Raymond