Upgrade teflon caps need suggestion

From tubes to solid state.
Abora
Beginner
Beginner

Upgrade teflon caps need suggestion

Post by Abora »

Hi friends
I have cj mv-60se power and pv14 pre.i want to upgrade them with teflon capasitors.so could you advice to choose best sounding caps brand?mundorf,jensen or cjd teflon caps. Or any other brand.
Thanks
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Upgrade teflon caps need suggestion

Post by AnotherJohnson »

CJ proprietary caps without a doubt.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Abora,

The advice given above on CJD Teflons is spot on! Btw cjd stands for conrad johnson design... Just for your info.

I actually had the MV60SE and it was fitted with Teflon caps plus the KT120's, so your unit should already have Teflons in there if this is the SE version. However, you need to have this checked out, in case CJ only upgraded the tubes from EL34's to 6550C's which is the SE version. Also a bit unusual if Teflons weren't added...
In any case, I did the full SE upgrade on the MV60SE, which included a full array of Teflons plus the KT120's. It was fantastic driving Maggies full range, MG3.6/r and the older MGIIIa. The MV60SE had no issues there whatsoever, and the KT120's were cruising along...

On another note, the Mundorf caps you mentioned are in a different league. Along with Dueland caps and Mundorf are very expensive! Mostly used in crossover units for top end speakers, such as refurbed Apogee's and Audio Analysis ribbons. I've heard both these at great length as they were on my short list in my final speakers when auditioning. I'm not sure about these particular high grade caps used in amplifiers, so I cannot comment in such designs.

CJ always uses the highest grade Teflons in all their current SE version upgrades plus all their top of the line gear, so you can't go wrong with these fine Teflons. The only downside is that they take 100's of hours to settle in fully.

Try some other research into the Mundorf and Dueland, just to see where they've used these and in what amplifiers, you may get some positive reviews. As far as I know, CJ only recommends Teflons at this stage.

Hope that helps, cheers
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Abora,
RJ is saying to you that all SE (Special Edition) version use top grade teflon caps.

Your Premier 14 preamplifier is a very well sounding preamp. I am going to advice a perhaps better option. Why don't you trade your 14 for a newer model with SE version?. A 17SL2 or an ET-3SE as an example? These preamps use teflon caps.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Some of the high end CJ products still have a few polypropylene caps, sometimes bypassed by Teflon.

I think CJ tries very hard to deliver the best sound, and is not bound by simple rules, like all caps should be Teflon. This is especially true when there are virtually totally diminished returns for a large cost.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.