Tube rolling on LP70S

From tubes to solid state.
jas681312
Regular
Regular

Tube rolling on LP70S

Post by jas681312 »

I have the stock (supplied by CJ) 6550s and 6992s in my LP70S. All of the tubes should still have plenty of life after the unit was recently factory serviced but I was thinking about trying something different. Does anyone have experience with running other tubes? Any recommendations?
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Tube rolling on LP70S

Post by Joe Appierto »

I've never owned the LP70S but I did have for years both a Premier 11A and a Premier 140. The latter of which I had upgraded with the CJD Teflon capacitors. I'd imagine that your LP70S shares some of the characteristics of both. You didn't mention if you're trying to get a different sound (warmer, more liquid, etc.), so it's a little difficult to make suggestions, but here it goes anyway.

If you want to avoid NOS output tubes due to cost, then you might want to try the New Sensor "Tung-Sol" 6550 and/or their "Gold Lion" KT88. I know I'm in the minority but I never did care very much for their KT120. Next to the basically impossible to get Lorenz 1960's vintage 7DJ8/PCC88, my next favorite "reasonably priced" small signal tube for the 140 was the Siemens made/Telefunken branded 7DJ8/PCC88 http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-pcc88-7dj8/. Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio carries these for $65 in the basic gold grade. They're very neutral, detailed and airy. I would've recommended the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 that he carries because they're so musical and throw possibly the best sound stage of any NOS tube I've tried in this family but I don't know how hard this amp is on the input tubes. I know that c-j's more recent preamps like the Classic-2, ET3, ET5, and GAT for example have a reputation for eating certain tubes. The Matsushita 7DJ8/PCC88 http://www.upscaleaudio.com/matsushita- ... cc88-7dj8/ he carries are a steal in my opinion at his asking price of $30/$35 depending on the grade.

I have no affiliation with this dealer other than being a satisfied customer of his for the last 20 years.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC