CA200 Review

From tubes to solid state.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

CA200 Review

Post by Joe Appierto »

I realize that c-j's CA200 has been out of production for a number of years now but they do pop-up periodically on the used market. Therefore, I'm going to post these three reviews I put together a couple of years ago for those that might be interested. My system has changed so fundamentally since then that I really should do an update. Maybe one day I will.

http://jda1951.xanga.com/2012/12/18/con ... er-part-1/

http://jda1951.xanga.com/2012/12/21/con ... 00-part-2/

http://jda1951.xanga.com/2013/01/01/con ... er-part-3/

Let me know if the links don't work and comments, good or bad, are welcome.

Regards,
Joe
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: CA200 Review

Post by joeinid »

Thanks Joe.

I should have kept my CA-200. It sounded great and I didn't realize what I had until it was gone. More than enough power, great 3D and layering. I am so curious how the new SS amps from CJ compare. Thanks for the post.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

You're welcome -- it was my pleasure. Everything I've read has been very positive concerning the new ss amps. The two (?) models are supposed to be different in their presentations with one favoring a more tube-like sound and the other decidedly ss but both done well. The only negative I can think of is that c-j concentrated on the innards while the casework and fit'n'finish are hardly what would be called audio jewelry. Given a choice, we both know what's more important.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Thank you for that review. About 6 months ago I bought a used CA200 on AudiogoN. I has to be one of the best purchases I've ever made. Think it's a genius approach to integrated amplifier design. I would love to hear a new CA150, or at least read a review.

Btw, just found this forum looking for a review of the Jolida JD9 II. Am upgrading my cart to an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. I have a Soundsmith MM pre which I'm keeping for a while, but have added a Bob's Devices SUT. Perchance, any comments or thoughts out there.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hi mate, a very nice amp the CA200.

Have auditioned the CA150, and the new MFseries 2550. cj put these out to cater to a larger group of music lovers/audiophiles, not really the same mob. We've already experienced cj and are quite familiar with its' signature sound. I can conclude some of these newer designs do not have that signature sound. Rather, they sound more open, more transparent, higher gain, easier to drive reasonable loads, and bring out the actual recording to a more accurate/natural level. Having said that, some of us out there prefer the c-j golden glow of that era, and when something new comes along, it takes time getting used to.

Both the CA150 and MF2550 are pretty good amps, for what they can do. CA150 driving Vandersteen's 2CE Signatures & 3 series were quite impressive but I actually preferred the CA200 for that matter. On a more positive note, the "SE" version is an improvement though, simply because it has special metal foil resistors & vishay resistors in critical signal paths, a few more CJD Teflon caps (BTW Teflon is not a proprietary product of CJ, rather Dupont); don't understand why they refer to their caps as cjd Teflon. Anyway, the Teflon caps and all those additional goodies of resistors make the overall performance better by a fair margin, therefore the "SE" versions are something special.

The MF2550 was driving a pair of newer Quads 2912's, soundwise, better than the ET250S, which did a horrible job of driving stats. I must say though that the MF2550 cannot match the Premier 350. That was one hec of a design, it was like a EVO2000 on major steroids. The MF2550 is quite powerful and it was able to drive stats as well, hence the power supply and capacitance factors have been significantly improved over the ET250S, whereby the amplifier can handle re-active loads. Also has a very good stable current drive and sense of effortlessness when driving stats, therefore should have no problem driving most dynamic types. Having previous owned the MF2300 series, starting with the MF2100, MF2200 and so on, the MF2550 is definitely a step above these amps but not equivalent to a Prem350. It would be interesting to see if cj would offer another version of a Prem350, perhaps not since they are focusing more on tube gear. So for a Prem350 equivalent, the McCormack DNA series comes to mind since it is actually made in the same factory under the same specs as the 350's.

For those of you close to VA Fairfax, give cj a visit and you will happen to come across the production line of Steve McCormack's DNA amps, quite impressive! Cheers, RJ