Thinking about converting my ARTsa to triode mode ....

From tubes to solid state.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Thinking about converting my ARTsa to triode mode ....

Post by joeinid »

I'm seeking advice from all the CJ lovers here. I have an ARTsa that I bought with the intention of converting to triode mode. The tech I emailed said he would rewire the amp for triode operation and install EL34's (instead of the standard KT-120's). Power would drop from 140 wpc to about 60-70 wpc but would sweeten up the sound. I don't play my music loud but wouldn't mind some extra sweetness, even at the expense of tighter bass and everything else that goes with it. Would just getting a Classic Sixty (with EL34's) be the better alternative for the time when I want the different musical experience? My main speakers are Sonus Faber Strads.

Right now, CJ has no intention of certifying either the ART monos or ARTsa amps for KT-150's or wiring the transformer for their use, if necessary.

So what's your opinion? Thanks!
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: Thinking about converting my ARTsa to triode mode ....

Post by pstrisik »

Joe,

FWIW, I received the following comment from CJ in April 2013 when inquiring about converting my 11A to triode:
EL34 vs. 6550 is a choice that has advocates on both sides. Personally, I was quite enamored of the sound of the EL34s operating in triode mode. A richer, smoother sound than was available from the GE 6550As that we used when these were new amps. When we switched to the Svetlana 6550C tubes I felt that those tubes offered all the desirable traits of the triode operated EL34s without the reduction in power (half the power) and reduced dynamics that went with it. The KT120s are even better.

Rather than moving from the Eleven A to Twelves with triode EL34s, I think you would do better to do a "C1" Teflon cap upgrade to your Eleven A. This upgrade costs $1500 plus shipping. Of course, budget permitting, it would be better still to upgrade the pair of Premier Twelves with KT120s and the C1 upgrade ($1450 per chassis).
This was shortly after Ed retired. It wasn't signed, but I have my suspicions about who wrote it! ;)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Thinking about converting my ARTsa to triode mode ....

Post by joeinid »

Thank you Peter. I do understand what he's saying and agree. I am pretty sure that I may leave the amp alone and if necessary, consider just playing with a less expensive EL-34 amp, probably a Classic Sixty.