Restored vs Modern Amps

From tubes to solid state.
rjhd3
Beginner
Beginner

Restored vs Modern Amps

Post by rjhd3 »

I have my first Conrad Johnson pre amp arriving next week. It is an ET3 SE. I'm now debating a few options for a well matching amplifier to drive my Martin Logan Vista's.

I'm looking for thoughts from experienced owners about the differences between older, formerly high-end amps and the current similarly priced entry level CJ. Specifically there are Premier 11a's and Premier 12's that crop up used quite regularly. How would these (after brought back to factory specs by CJ) compare to a Classic 60SE?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

-R
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Restored vs Modern Amps

Post by AudioDIY »

I would say a $7000 amp made in 90-00 is always better than $3000 modern amp. In your case, I would prefer a used Premier 12 or Premier 140 over Classic 60SE. This is only my personal speculation since I have never heard those amps before.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AudioDIY wrote:I would say a $7000 amp made in 90-00 is always better than $3000 modern amp. In your case, I would prefer a used Premier 12 or Premier 140 over Classic 60SE. This is only my personal speculation since I have never heard those amps before.
I completely agree with this viewpoint. The only exclusion I would put on it is if the amp is very old, pushing 30 years, caps do have a tendency to sometimes go bad. In that case, one has to weight the cost of having to replace the caps compared to a newer unit (which may be good for many years to come).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

admin wrote:
AudioDIY wrote:I would say a $7000 amp made in 90-00 is always better than $3000 modern amp. In your case, I would prefer a used Premier 12 or Premier 140 over Classic 60SE. This is only my personal speculation since I have never heard those amps before.
I completely agree with this viewpoint. The only exclusion I would put on it is if the amp is very old, pushing 30 years, caps do have a tendency to sometimes go bad. In that case, one has to weight the cost of having to replace the caps compared to a newer unit (which may be good for many years to come).
True, but it could also be seen as a golden opportunity to have the C1 Teflon cap upgrade done. :D
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets