Solid State MF2550

From tubes to solid state.
Justharry
Beginner
Beginner

Solid State MF2550

Post by Justharry »

First, I am new to this site, but my interest in the new solid state CJ amps has drawn me to this site.

I have not been able to audition the new MF2550. There is not a lot of information on web but I have seen the insides and it’s a very cool neat looking amp.

I would like to hear impressions of this amp and any comparison to any other amps. My reasoning here is my hope that this will give me some idea about the place in the market for this amp and maybe a better idea of the nature of the MF2550?

Thanks
Justharry
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Solid State MF2550

Post by Justharry »

I am sorry to see I haven't a reply. Amps in 200-300 A have a wide range of selling price, $4K and $6K (for SE) is expensive ask price for this amp :shock: . Thus the reason for my question. I understand that Conrad Johnson has a reputation for high quality parts but does this translate to their sound? If someone could compare the MF2550 to another amp that might help me have some understanding. There just isn't a place for me to hear the amp near me :( .
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't speak specifically to the MF2550 but I own a CJ Evolution 2000 amp which is a solid state amp with a tube input stage. I think the price tag in general comes from the quality of the parts and the design. My amp is very accurate but at the same time musical. It's hard to put this into strictly scientific terms. To make a comparison, I was recently listening to an Emotiva amp. If you read the specs, the Emotiva should blow the 2000 out of the water. Yet, it was not as pleasant to the ear, almost harsh. Are there any CJ dealers near your area? If you are serious about buying they may be able to order one so you can demo the unit.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Justharry,

Where are you located?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Agreed with Admin!

The MF2550 is a fine amp and replaced the MF2300 that I once had driving maggies. I did audition the MF2550 and to me it was far better in terms of musicality compared to Parasound, Sonic Frontiers, Adcom, Sumo, Hafler, Carver, Sunfire, Threshold, Forte, NAD and so on... The only power amps that bettered the MF2550 were c-j's very own tube amps, such as the Premier 11A, Prem 12, Prem 8, and other big tube amps like Manley, Melos, BAT, Cary, Audio Research, and McIntosh.

However, please keep in mind in order to have that full c-j synergy of sound in your system, you MUST partner c-j power amps with a very high quality preamp or one of c-j's tube preamps. Otherwise the overall sound will not be anything fantastic, it will sound good but not excellent. You cannot just dump a c-j power amp in an entry level system and expect it to perform miracles... All of the above power amps I mentioned have been partnered with either top of the line c-j preamps such as the Premier 16LS, ART or the PV12. Other were top of the line from Audio note and Cary.

Therefore, for you to even try out a MF2550, you must have a preamp up to high quality standard, otherwise you're venture into this amp is useless. Even an older PV10AL will do nicely if you have a limited budget.
Good luck in your findings,
Cheers, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh ye! as Joe said, where are you actually located? We may be able to find a c-j dealer within the region at least, I reckon...
Justharry
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Justharry »

Thank You Guy for thoughts,

I am located in Birmingham, Alabama. The shops have closed around here, Atlanta would most likely be the closest. Big Dog you selected a hi-power tube amp over the MF2550? That's interesting and the kind of info im looking for.
With all due respect I would expect it to better the mid-line, high-quality, audio equipment. To be out done by the amps you mentioned means it doesn't compete with the hi-end, audio equipment. Or maybe you prefer tube amps?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hi mate,
Ok, if Atlanta works for you that's good. Try to work it out with some good dealers over there. First get to know the dealers before you make any purchases, especially in the high-end. You need reliable dealers who can back you up, also when it comes to service. Generally dealer's who carry c-j gear are very good but you will find the odd ball once in a while...

Ref. to the amps I mentioned in the solid state (SS) range; what I meant was that the MF2550 beat all of those other brands out of the park, including the MF2300, which is also an excellent amp if you can get hold of one. What the MF series does is not just watts, but more of that musicality that c-j is known for compared to the others.

When it comes to "vacuum tubes", this is a whole different planet my friend! You have to know what tubes can do, their specs, and have lived with tubes for a while to start comparing. The mistake I made was comparing tubes to SS gear.
In this comparison, I did not meant that the MF2550 cannot compete in the high end, rather compared to tubes, even the 35 watt Premier 11A in triode mode, will blow away the MF2550 out of the country side in terms of musicality and its soundstage!

To experience this you have to audition SS gear directly with tube gear, and then you'll know what I'm talking about.
The other fairly big tube amps I mentioned, such as Manley and ARC that I previously owned at one point or the other, are fine tube amps. However, when compared to Conrad Johnson tube amps, c-j does have the extra edge once again in terms of musicality, sound-staging, extended highs, smooth mid-range and good bass, an overall sound that is well balanced. Many of the other tube amps I mentioned either have way too much bass or over-powering mids and highs, and can sound harsh with the wrong type of speakers... Some audiophiles and music lovers prefer this type of sound over c-j and may claim that the c-j sound is laid back and not forward...
This is their preference, what works for some, others may not like and vice versa.

At the end of the day, to me I would prefer something to relax to, and be able to listen to my favourite music for endless hours without any listening fatigue, and to me that sound is C-J vacuum tube amplification!

Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic SS gear out there for mega bucks, such as Pass Labs, Gryphon, MBL and Vitus Audio. All top notch in dollar value, however at the end of the day the world's best amplifiers are all tube design.

Any c-j gear (whether SS or tube) can very easily compete in any category of the high-end, even in the "ultra high-end" where a pair of monoblocks would equate to the price of a small country side cottage!
At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself what "you" are looking for and exactly how much you can afford...
Once you have addressed this fundamental quest, you will be most satisfied regardless of what type or kind of system you have. Whether it's a tin can/ coconut with silver wires, or that awesome 350 grand system, enjoy the music!
Cheers mate, and have a good one.
RJ