Dumb Question for the Day

From tubes to solid state.
RDSChicago
Regular
Regular

Dumb Question for the Day

Post by RDSChicago »

I just had a new Classic 60 SE delivered and there was not a manual in the box. How do I remove the tube cage? Thanks and I apologize for the newbie question, but I want to get my amp up and running before I go to bed tonight!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dumb Question for the Day

Post by admin »

First, welcome to the site!

I don't actually own the Classic 60 SE but I think the tube cage is held on by 4 screws on the inside of the cage. If you look at the top side edges, there will be round holes on the top of the cage in these 4 places where you can fit a screw driver through to unscrew the holding screws. If it's not working, post some closeup pictures and I'm sure we can figure it out. :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RDSChicago
Regular
Regular

Post by RDSChicago »

Here's a few photos. Of course my screwdriver is not long or thin enough if those holes on the top of the cage are the entry point. If this is how you open the cage, any suggestions or should I just purchase a new screwdriver with a long thin shaft? Thanks again.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The picture is very small but I think I can make out the larger round holes (most easily seen on the bottom right of the picture) on the top of the cage. You will need an appropriately long and thin screwdriver. If you look straight down the holes on the cage you should be able to see a screw that is holding the cage to the amp.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RDSChicago
Regular
Regular

Post by RDSChicago »

Thanks. I was wondering if screwdrivers of this sort come with the amp? Mine is a demo from an authorized CJ dealer. No manual and no screwdriver were in the box. Thanks.
RDSChicago
Regular
Regular

Post by RDSChicago »

Mission accomplished!! Thanks.
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

RDSChicago wrote:Thanks. I was wondering if screwdrivers of this sort come with the amp? Mine is a demo from an authorized CJ dealer. No manual and no screwdriver were in the box. Thanks.
The amps don't come with a screwdriver for removing the cage, but it should had a long thin plastic screwdriver that will allow you to bias the tubes with the cage on. You should have gotten the manual,I would contact the dealer or CJ to get one. I hope the amp didn't ship with the tubes in place.
Justharry
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Justharry »

RDSChicago wrote:Thanks. I was wondering if screwdrivers of this sort come with the amp? Mine is a demo from an authorized CJ dealer. No manual and no screwdriver were in the box. Thanks.

I know this is a rather old post but I have a question. Would you mind tell whom you bought your amp from?

Thanks,
Harry
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Justharry wrote:

I know this is a rather old post but I have a question. Would you mind tell whom you bought your amp from?

Thanks, Harry
My heavens--one of the dozen-or-so English speakers in the world who knows how to use 'whom'! Congrats! :D
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."