Conrad-Johnson MF-2500A

From tubes to solid state.
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Conrad-Johnson MF-2500A

Post by aldinohiend »

I am in negotiations for the purchase of a MF2500A to be used in the summer instead of the Premier 140.
To be honest, I would have liked a Premier 350 but unfortunately the budget is limited.
Does anyone know the MF2500A? How would match the Premier 16? Be able to adequately drive the Sophia II or the Sonus Faber Electa Amator first series?
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
Conrad-Johnson GAT / Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 / Magneplanar 3.7i
Conrad-Johnson Premier 16 LS2 / Conrad-Johnson Premier 140
Conrad-Johnson Premier 18 / Conrad-Johnson MF-2500a / Dynaudio Confidence 5
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conrad-Johnson MF-2500A

Post by admin »

At 240 WPC @ 8 ohms, the MF2500 will power anything adequately. Granted, the Sophia II is not a very efficient speaker, I think it's 86 db, but at this power output you can run them as loud as you want without distortion. Likewise, this should be plenty of power for the Sonus Faber as well.

I heard some Wilson speakers (can't remember the model, it was a couple of years ago, but it was one of their smaller units) powered by a CJ MV60 and it sounded really nice. That's only 60 watts per channel! Granted it was at modest volumes, but even that sounded really nice.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

The Sophia 2 have an efficiency of 89 dB while the Electa Amator of 88 dB. Please note that currently are controlled by the Premier 140 with great satisfaction. Before the Premier 140, I had the MV60 and I can assure you that it was a great feeling with Sophia. Unfortunately it was borden line. My application did not affect the ability to drive but the type of type of sound, the tone of the MF-2500A.
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yup, your correct about the 89 db for the sophia II. So even less concern about the ability of the MF2500A to drive them at adequate levels. I guess as for the "type of sound", that is hard to judge without listening. Are you planning to buy online or local? If you are deciding local, perhaps you can "test drive" the amp. A lot of local high end audio stores will allow you to try it out for a a week before buying.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Martin Colloms is usually pretty much on the money in his reviews on conrad-johnson equipment. Here's one he did for Stereophile back in December, 1999. It sounds quite positive.

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1299cj
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

I thank you even though I had already read that review. I was interested in the opinion of someone who owned or had owned in the past the amp.
P.S. How's the CA200. Egregious things I've read about and I do not hide the fact that he had a little thought ....
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I had a CA 200 and it was wonderful. I am sorry I sold it. I will go against the grain and say I actually preferred it to the Premier 350. it was warm in the just right sense of the word. It was more than powerful enough for my needs and had the typical CJ sound. layered, holographic and deep. If I could buy a brand new one now, I would.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I agree with joeinid (hi Joe) and have been really pleased with the CA200. It's simplified my audio life and sounds terrific. I did initially have a frequent problem with blown mains fuses every time I used aftermarket fuses from HiFi-Tuning and AMR. But since then, I tried the HiFi-Tuning Gold XT (extra slow blow) and no problems since.

What have you heard that was negative about the CA200? Just curious.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi Joe,

It's great to see you here and enjoying your CA200. Don't give it up. If I am not mistaken, some people complained of possible hum coming from the CA200 but not through the speakers. I don't think it was wide spread and I really only remember one person on audiogon complain about it as he was trying to sell it. Mine was dead quiet and silent.
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Post by antaresbluespirit »

aldinohiend wrote:I am in negotiations for the purchase of a MF2500A to be used in the summer instead of the Premier 140.
To be honest, I would have liked a Premier 350 but unfortunately the budget is limited.
Does anyone know the MF2500A? How would match the Premier 16? Be able to adequately drive the Sophia II or the Sonus Faber Electa Amator first series?

Hi

I owned at the same time the MF2250 (2x120w )and MV60SE linked with PV8 preamp ,the sound were very warmth,well balanced (good partnership with the2250) as well as with the MV60SE that remains natural and very dynamic with low or high efficient loudspeaker without any hardness

pre and amp assiociation remains sensitive....

Regards

Raymond
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

The MF-2500a arrived 2 days.
Is brand new and beautiful but also very heavy!
I'm waiting for the technician to voltage conversion. We will refer to days.
Stay tuned .......
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

Yesterday afternoon we finished the work to convert the voltage to 240V and we turned on the device. At first it was very close because it was probably a long time still. Later, with the passage of time, listening has been gradually improving. The amp was turned on about an hour, that is too short a time to understand the real figure sonic. This morning I'm listening to one and a half and more time passes the more I am convinced that it is a great device. The music flows free, sweet, harmonic. It looks like a tube amp. In the coming days I will report in more detail. Stay tuned!

Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

aldinohiend,

Congratulations. I am so happy for you. looks great. I know from experience that it will take time to open up and blossom. You have a great amp there. Please enjoy it in great health. Please keep the updates coming.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice indeed! I am curious, what exactly did they have to do to convert the voltage?
-admin
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

The conversion to 240V is very simple. It 'just follow the diagram who kindly sent me the Mother House

Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That actually does not look all that complicated. I guess they probably designed the power supply with the knowledge that there will be a lot of 220V users. Thanks for the diagram and enjoy the unit.
-admin
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

Hello to all. After about a month to go, I would like to talk about the MF- 2500A .
As mentioned at the beginning sounded a bit closed off and despite having about 240 W per channel.
After a few days of operation is literally blossomed. It coming off the typical sonic signature CJ: the sound is sweet, harmonious , the stage is large in all three dimensions and the power seems to never end !
A friend of mine audiophile , after listening to him , said: If I had hidden , I would not be able to distinguish it from the final tube that you have the Premier 140.
The best synergy was detected with the Electa Amator , cases that most of Wilson Sophia II , prefer the solid state.
For more information, the MF- 2500A has the need for about 1 hour before to make the maximum.
It was also useful to replace the signal cables with Kimber KCAG , known to be highly suitable for connecting CJ .
Ultimately a great purchase that I recommend to those looking for the CJ sound but not very familiar with the valves.
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100