Any experience with the MV-60 or MV-55 in triode?

From tubes to solid state.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Any experience with the MV-60 or MV-55 in triode?

Post by jeffreybehr »

A friend is fighting to get his extremely efficient, horn-type speakersystems sounding good. I suggested one of these amps. Anyone know much about them?
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
grove2
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Any experience with the MV-60 or MV-55 in triode?

Post by grove2 »

Just had Mv 60 switched to triode by Bill Thalman of Music Technology. I am running 95db speakers and the sound is great on jazz, vocals, soft rock.etc Will audition other music and post again later.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Any experience with the MV-60 or MV-55 in triode?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate,

Glad to hear about a mv60, it was by far one of my favorite amps I ever owned. The mv55 is also a very nice sounding amp with its el34's, however the mv60 is a newer design with better transformers that were only utilized on cj's premier series. The mv60 also replaced the mv55 and premier11 series, so overall it had a wonderful presentation with the addition of more power on the mv60se series, which can take the much larger more powerful kt120 tubes.

In my experience with horns, since they are highly efficient, both the mv55&mv60 regardless of triode/pentode mode would be ample power to drive horns. I would say they're "overkill."

Either of these amps are fine, beautiful sound. To me the mv55 has more of that "golden glow" that cj was well known for, a much warmer sound and sort of fuzzy. The mv60 was cleaner, more sharp, more refined on the edges and had some pretty good power for just 50watts. I think the 50 watt rating was conservative, sounds more like a 80 - 100 watter. Plenty of current/voltage drive if you may, and superb power supply. Hence, the mv60se takes this to a whole new level in overall performance.

If your buddy can afford the extra $$$ the mv60 in triode mode would be a treat with horns. When I did have mine, I tried it for a short while on the Avant Garde Duo's, had a blast! Fantastic speed and acceleration, tone decays & dynamics, plenty of slam and powerful bass from the Duo's subs and a full presentation on stage. However, I really don't prefer horns but that's a personal thing, I am sure if your buddy is a horn enthusiast, he would no doubt enjoy the power and finesse of the mv60.

Cheers, RJ