Best Sounding Tubes Ever Made...

From tubes to solid state.
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Best Sounding Tubes Ever Made...

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

Hi all,
I would be Interested by all Members have the Conrad Johnson Equipment wheter Pre-Amp or Power Amp what have Equipment for Tubes? What is the experience with various tubes whether triode or pentode in your devices from the sound come from? How is your experience and current annos tubes in the devices?
For me it is very interesting because every ear is different, therefore, listen and feel it would be glad to have heard from any member of his experience with various tubes and the positives and negatives to report concerning tubes brands .. Best Soundings Chris 8-) 8-)
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Best Sounding Tubes Ever Made...

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

DSC00406.JPG
[attachment=0]DSC00406.JPG[/attachment

My Best Sounding Tubes Ever Made in Conrad Johnson Premier 16lS MKII 8-)
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

DSC01947.JPG
DSC01947.JPG (107.71 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
DSC01946.JPG
DSC01946.JPG (110.19 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
6FQ7 Top Clears Best Sounds ever Made for Conrad Johnson Equipement!!! 8-)
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

DSC01951.JPG
DSC01951.JPG (93.65 KiB) Viewed 6070 times

RCA 6FQ7 Clear Tops Workings in Premier One b...Superb Sound!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, those look beautiful (and I bet they sound great). May I ask where you bought them? They really do look very nice.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

admin wrote:Wow, those look beautiful (and I bet they sound great). May I ask where you bought them? They really do look very nice.

These tubes are becoming rare 6FQ7 Top Clear like a good age Chateau Ladour! The RCA 6FQ7 Top Clears were the best tubes that we should do as a reserve. 8-)
My Premier Premier 8A and Premier 12, and all have the MV75 RCA 6FQ7 since before the GE were installed 6FQ7 the Brilliance in my upper Range too shrill, and Sovtec 5751 with even higher ...
Who likes to listen to hard Rock or Metal so it's still not my taste ...
Therefore, I always take the RCA Clear tops with JAN-Phillips 5751 and drowned Soft Top and middle which is very good for Jazz, R & B, Classical, Rock .... but one that taste thing because every ear is different sounds ..
Despite everything, I would give each owner of Conrad Johnson, the RCA Clear Tops 6FQ7 necessarily Recommend!! Best Soundings Chris 8-) 8-)
alexwu21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by alexwu21 »

Hi, I am a newbie in CJ (ET3SE and Classic-SixtySE). Thanks for sharing and I will try to find those in Hong Kong...
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

In my case, I've been limited to the tubes used in the CJ preamps I've owned. (Currently GAT)

I've owned ET5, ET3 and now GAT, all obviously 6922 based.

I think by a fairly good margin I preferred NOS Mullards, but I have terrible luck with these, and have wasted a ton of money trying to keep a working pair.
I tried a pair of NOS Telefunkun, OK but nothing special. In the end I've at the moment settled on Gold Lions. They are relatively inexpensive and sound good. No NOS no NOS for me.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
alexwu21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by alexwu21 »

Thanks.
alexwu21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by alexwu21 »

HI Ray,

Just want to ask how I would know the tube is really NOS apart from what being said by the seller... Please excuse me if the question sound a bit stupid....

Thanks,

Alex
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Alex,

There is no such thing as a stupid question. I'd like to know myself. I don't know enough of tube history to make smart tube purchases so I stick to well known or trusted sellers. Sometimes you pay a little more for their trust.
alexwu21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by alexwu21 »

Dear Joeinid,

Thanks. In Hong Kong, there are some one selling NOS. However, i have not deal with them before. Therefore, I am asking this question... But I will take your advice.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hopefully we will have some members recommend great Hong Kong tube dealers.
bicycle_man
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bicycle_man »

Ray wrote:In my case, I've been limited to the tubes used in the CJ preamps I've owned. (Currently GAT)

I've owned ET5, ET3 and now GAT, all obviously 6922 based.

I think by a fairly good margin I preferred NOS Mullards, but I have terrible luck with these, and have wasted a ton of money trying to keep a working pair.
I tried a pair of NOS Telefunkun, OK but nothing special. In the end I've at the moment settled on Gold Lions. They are relatively inexpensive and sound good. No NOS no NOS for me.
Interesting! I have the same impression of NOS Telefunken 12ax7s, and the same positive impression of the sound of NOS Mullard 12ax7s.
Good Dog Jocko
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Good Dog Jocko »

Andy Bowman of Vintage Tube Services will sell you the best tubes ever made at significantly less than most tube "dealers". Andy Bowman is not just a tube dealer as he has the best tube testing equipment on the planet, much of it from the RCA Labs that developed some of the best vacuum tubes ever made. Visit his website, look at his tube testing lab, and read his philosophy. I retubed my C-J EV-1 with his tubes, and they are far better than the eastern European tubes the EV-1 originally came with. They are virtually the same as the old English Mullards (Mullard built the factory) at far less than old English Mullard prices. Andy has forgotten more stuff about vacuum tubes than most others will ever learn, and if the gonzo tube"dealers" have tubes as good as Andy's, there is a good chance they got them from Andy and you are paying a middleman markup.

Once you deal with Andy Bowman of Vintage Tube Services he will probably become your main supplier. Fully guaranteed and no hype.

He tested a lifetime supply of Mullard M8080 tubes for my C-J PV-14L and they all passed, as they were all MOD military grade tubes. You can send any tubes to him for testing and he will grade them for wher ethey should be used in the audio chain. The RCA 6C4 tubes I picked up on eBay failed testing, and I bought a lot of garbage from online sources, even though they were "matched sets" or other such nonsense. NOS tubes haver been "picked over" and it is very hard to find anybody who has a stash of the old premium tubes that are the "real deal". If any of the new tubes being made can be considered audio grade, then Andy knows which ones they are and he probably has some, tested and fully guaranteed. You take NO chances with Andy.