Conrad Johnson Premier 1b

From tubes to solid state.
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Conrad Johnson Premier 1b

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

Hello to all fans of CJ, I own the Conrad Johnson Premier One monster b amplifier with EL34 tubes and not the 6550th Which member once had such tubes with these? How and what is the experience that was made ... I think not many would be happy with these Röhren.Ich on brisk responses and see all Greets CJs 8-) ".....
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Conrad Johnson Premier 1b

Post by unclestu52 »

Beautiful sounding amp, once was on the Aboslute Sounds recommended list: tremendous bass punch and a sweet midrange
Too heavy for me though, as I advacne on in years.
Good Dog Jocko
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Good Dog Jocko »

One of my first introductions to C-J amplification was an article in Audio magazine by the late Bascom King, a noted amp designer, who did a review of the C-J Premier 1. The amp measured quite good, but not perfect. However, Bascom said that at the end of the day when he just wanted to enjoy music, the Premier 1 was the amp he wanted to be listening through. That review always stuck with me, it encouraged me to listen to a C-J amp, and it is a major reason I have been a C-J amp owner since 2001 with no intentions of changing.
TarnishedEars
Regular
Regular

Post by TarnishedEars »

I own one of these amps. They are amazing sounding, once you roll the right match of tubes in. I own a number of other ultra-classic tube amps, and this amp remains my favorite.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

Beautiful amp indeed, but bettered by Premier Four & Five according to TAS en Stereophile.
It put CJ on the high-end scene and it's probably the most collectible amp there's.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

Good Dog Jocko wrote:One of my first introductions to C-J amplification was an article in Audio magazine by the late Bascom King, a noted amp designer, who did a review of the C-J Premier 1. The amp measured quite good, but not perfect. However, Bascom said that at the end of the day when he just wanted to enjoy music, the Premier 1 was the amp he wanted to be listening through. That review always stuck with me, it encouraged me to listen to a C-J amp, and it is a major reason I have been a C-J amp owner since 2001 with no intentions of changing.
No, that was the 1986 review of the Premier Fives.
I have that review and the Premier Fives ;)
DrBob
New User
New User

Post by DrBob »

I don't think Bascom is dead yet....He is designing amps for PS Audio
I love my Premier 1B