Anyone running CJ pre with non-CJ SS amp?

From tubes to solid state.
ll21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Anyone running CJ pre with non-CJ SS amp?

Post by ll21 »

Just curious how people are using their CJ pres. i used to have CJ pre with CJ tube amp...but have since moved to SS Class A which i prefer. Always good to hear other people's experiences about what works!
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Anyone running CJ pre with non-CJ SS amp?

Post by Animal »

I don't have it routinely hooked up to it, but there is a truly remarkable synergy between my PV5 and a Van Alstine hybrid power amp I have. Dunno how you would classify a hybrid power amp other than, well, as a hybrid. Tubes on the input side and FETs on the output side.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

ll21 wrote:Just curious how people are using their CJ pres. i used to have CJ pre with CJ tube amp...but have since moved to SS Class A which i prefer. Always good to hear other people's experiences about what works!
I am and have been running CJ Preamp(s) with SS amps for quite some time.
Initially a CJ Classic driving an old Krell KSA-150
...Later an ET-3SE driving Primare A32 and finally a pair of JC-1s.

Final story is a CJ GAT driving the JC-1s, best combo thus far, as it well should be.

All of the above combos were driving either Mag 3.6 or 3.7s...and soon to be GAT/JC-1s driving a pair of 20.7s.

Only issue ever was the older generations CJ preamps, with "higherish" output impedance...meant one had to keep an eye on pwr amp input impedance.
No concern whatsoever with the newer CJ preamps.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
ll21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by ll21 »

A fellow CJ GAT owner...congrats! I used to have PV14 and then the ACT2. CJ GAT is my favorite preamp of any manufacturer, and i've not been without CJ in my system in 12 straight years. Sounds like we've got a similar pre/amp setup. I run the GAT with SS Class A amp from Gryphon. I run old Wilson X1/Grand Slamms and a Velodyne DD18 (in parallel).

Congrats [soon?] on the 20.7s...when are you expecting them?
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

Just yesterday, I sold the 3.7s! so now there are a couple empty spaces where speakers should be. The 20.7s were to have shipped on Sept 7th, so maybe I'll only be without sound for a few more days!

I've admired the Gryphon products for many years, no doubt they are in a entirely different league than my JC-1s. beautiful products! Absolutely a superb system you have!
I couldn't imagine me owning a system at this point without at the very least a CJ preamp!
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ray,
Congrats on the new 20.7. I really like planar speakers, I think the mid to highs simply can't be matched. I remember auditioning the magnepan 20.1's a few years ago. They were truly magnificent (but a little out of my price range). :)
One thing I remember is that they really needed a large room to shine, the dealer had also mentioned this. I was very close to buying a pair of 3.6's until I found a really nice deal on some Martin Logan's and ultimately decided to go that route.

As for solid state amps, I use a CJ Evolution 2000 which is tube input but solid state output. I find that planar speakers really need a lot of power to run best. Finding purely tube amps that output more than 200 watts per channel is difficult (and very expensive). I think that by using a tube preamp (or tube input stage on the amp) you retain the warm "tube sound" yet it allows for ample power to drive these kinds of speakers.

Once again, congrats on the purchase and make sure you post some pics as I want to see those huge monoliths!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

I fell in love with Planars back in the Apogee days, (Duetta Signatures) In some ways, even today I notice planars are either loved, or hated. Some love them but hate the setup issues, others just don't like them overall.

Looking back over the years, I never really managed to get the Apogees sounding correct. Nothing against the speakers themselves, just my own inexperience really. (of course I thought I new everything back then) Over the years I've finally found the "secret sauce" to getting planars to work properly, even in a smallish room. It literally wasn't until my 3.6s that I got that magical Magnepan soundstage to show up. Once I admitted that I didn't know diddly...and started from scratch, things fell into place. Simple things like listening to those that said for years that "Magnepans need to be 4+ feet from the front wall (the wall behind the speakers) Then I also realized that Magnepans really can be placed inches from side walls, In any case, after years of futzing around, the 3.7s were pure magic, the speakers absolutely disappear. Literally a sound stage that is wide, deep, with dead sharp focused voices.

OBTW, If Magnepan were gone tomorrow, I'd be at the Martin Logan site in a matter of seconds! ...and whether by design or accident, I've always tried to use big solid state power amp(s), will little or no specific sound character of their own. ( I know, wishful thinking) ...and then taylor the sound a bit with preamp, cables, etc. I almost bought a old CJ Premier 350, but I'd decided I wanted Mono blocks and as much power as I could $$$.. Almost drove myself crazy, but I ended up with the JC-1s, which can drive the daylights out of Magnepans without breaking a sweat.
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
tzdvl
Regular
Regular

Post by tzdvl »

I have a Premier Three that I use with a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe amplifier (upgraded by SMC Audio to "Revision A Gold" level, plus the Plitron toroid transformer and soft-recovery diode bridge "Platinum" options).

The DNA-1 drives Vandersteen 3A speakers.

Nowhere near "GAT" territory, I know, but the system sounds great to me!

Ken
timothywas1
Beginner
Beginner

Post by timothywas1 »

OtYes; Ill be taking delivery of a new met 1preamp to handle multichannel duties in my hmetheatre. Had heard a CJ ls 17 some years back and wasn't real impressesd driving a plinius sa250 with Hamilton speakers perhaps the synergy wasn't there but I'm betting all the marbles on a new met1 from spirit sound along with siltech cabling to enhance those highs. I too have class a amplifiers and while I like the feature sets n receivers I'm looking forward to adding the met 1 on weds. My system currently consists of mirage om 6 mains om10 surrounds mc2 center bPS 400. .1 effects sub / 2 stereo bag end 18 inch subs from plinius m8 preamp on my 2 channel side w/ HTbypass. All transparent plus bicable speaker cables and ultra interconnects with my kora Hermes 24/192 triode dac and connecting my magnum dynalab 102 triode tuner. Then roll up to my technicsl sl1200 turntable and two phonostages a bellariVP 129 along with a jolida. Jd 9 for my dennon sl1 MC cartridge. 3 silver apc type s15 line conditioners handle power and filtering duties. Logan classic series racks. And adona amplifier stands one silver with white marble for my plinius sa102 in silver monobloc rated at 460 Watts. A black adona amp stand with blue Pearl granite for my black sa 102they are 125 Watts pure class a . I also have a plinius p8 200 Watt stereo amp driving my MC 2 center ch inannel and a plinius sa 100 Mk 3 for surrounds 100 Watts class a. Pioneer elite. Reciever and oppo bdp 95. Pioneer bdp 95. Pioneer elite 59avi etc... pioneer 730 HDMI monitor but will adding Epson 350 with black diamond 120. Wondering how to load pics. See ya soon.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

timothywas1 wrote:OtYes; Ill be taking delivery of a new met 1preamp to handle multichannel duties in my hmetheatre. Had heard a CJ ls 17 some years back and wasn't real impressesd driving a plinius sa250 with Hamilton speakers perhaps the synergy wasn't there but I'm betting all the marbles on a new met1 from spirit sound along with siltech cabling to enhance those highs. I too have class a amplifiers and while I like the feature sets n receivers I'm looking forward to adding the met 1 on weds. My system currently consists of mirage om 6 mains om10 surrounds mc2 center bPS 400. .1 effects sub / 2 stereo bag end 18 inch subs from plinius m8 preamp on my 2 channel side w/ HTbypass. All transparent plus bicable speaker cables and ultra interconnects with my kora Hermes 24/192 triode dac and connecting my magnum dynalab 102 triode tuner. Then roll up to my technicsl sl1200 turntable and two phonostages a bellariVP 129 along with a jolida. Jd 9 for my dennon sl1 MC cartridge. 3 silver apc type s15 line conditioners handle power and filtering duties. Logan classic series racks. And adona amplifier stands one silver with white marble for my plinius sa102 in silver monobloc rated at 460 Watts. A black adona amp stand with blue Pearl granite for my black sa 102they are 125 Watts pure class a . I also have a plinius p8 200 Watt stereo amp driving my MC 2 center ch inannel and a plinius sa 100 Mk 3 for surrounds 100 Watts class a. Pioneer elite. Reciever and oppo bdp 95. Pioneer bdp 95. Pioneer elite 59avi etc... pioneer 730 HDMI monitor but will adding Epson 350 with black diamond 120. Wondering how to load pics. See ya soon.
Lots of great gear in there! I noticed your using a Jolida JD9 for the phono preamp. I also utilize the JD9. Is your unit stock, or have you done some mods to it. It seems that the JD9 is probably the most heavily modded piece of stereo equipment I have ever seen. I did some mods to the unit and the sound is much better. It's relatively easy to do, I wrote a DIY guide here: JD9 upgrade guide.

Anyway, very nice. I would love to see some pics of the setup!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by miatadan »

Using McIntosh MC302 solid state amplifier using autoformers , I feel this makes McIntosh solid state closest to tube power amplifiers
Steve
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve »

I'm using my Classic 2 SE with a McCormack DNA 125 and they sound great together......
hukkfinn
Regular
Regular

Post by hukkfinn »

Odyssey Stratos Extreme monoblocks. I was recommended these by a well-informed gentleman on an audio forum who said "I can't imagine anyone not being happy with these" -- and he was right. God, they just work and exude music.

First used with my CJ PV10B, then with a PV14LS2, then a PV12, and now with said CJ PV12 modded by Bob Backert. Audio heaven to these ears.
drlung
Beginner
Beginner

Post by drlung »

I ran a CJ PV 12 preamp with an Ayre V3 amp driving Maggie tympani 3's and then Thiel CS 2.3 speakers. Great combination. The tubed preamp gives you the great mid-range and the Ayre provides a great bottom end and plenty of current. Now I have the ET3 se pre which is breaking in and sounds superb (its really a hybrid in the line stages but I do have the phono stage which is tubed) and am looking for a ss amp to run the Thiels. Not easy with limited audition opportunities. Thinking AYre, ?Mcintosh, simaudio W7, hard to know.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

Currently I am using CJ Premier 10 and Threshold S500 II to drive my Accustic 2+2 planar speaker. The combinnation works for me within my budget constraint. Currently, I am looking for incremental upgrade to improve my system but need to figure out where to spend my best $.
Asitreadalong
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Asitreadalong »

I'm running a CJ PV10-AL and QSC 1400 driving Klipsch Cornwalls. I just put the CJ into the system and what a HUGE difference. I pulled out an inexpensive ss pre. I didn't know what I was missing. Everything is deeper, softer, rounder, all of that.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I ran a CJ ET-5 with McIntosh MC601's and loved that combo. I thought I could do better and still miss that combo. I'm still thinking about it.
pjm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by pjm »

I used a PV14 with an all Linn Aktiv set up and it really sang. Replaced the PV14 with a Premier 18 SS and although an improvement I still fancy getting another valve CJ to put back into the system.
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

ll21 wrote:Just curious how people are using their CJ pres. i used to have CJ pre with CJ tube amp...but have since moved to SS Class A which i prefer. Always good to hear other people's experiences about what works!

I have used just about everything from Audio Research to Crown with my pv-1. I run mostly active crossovers, so yeah my oh so hated crown 150's on subs is great, but surprisingly, they dont do bad as mids on my old school maggies. "tweets", yeah, it gets a bit "bright"....but depending on speaker and listener location, I have been satisfied. Also have run several Parasound amps that my happy. Didnt have the AR long enough to let my ears gets used to the sound.
Good Dog Jocko
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Good Dog Jocko »

My C-J PV-14L replaced a B&K Pro-10 MC preamp and was driving a B&K ST-202+ amp. I could tell a definite improvement, so I bought a C-J MF-2250 and got even more improvement.

I once had a Hafler preamp and power amp, but the B&K amps were a definite upgrade. The C-J amps are a definite upgrade over my old B&K gear, but you need very good speakers and a very good source to hear the full improvement. If going to recent C-J amps from the entry level high end audio brands, you are going to be forced to upgrade your entire system. I am currently running VMPS RM-1 loudspeakers with ribbon midranges to get the full benefits of liquid clarity and dynamics that C-J solid state amps are noted for.