Anyone running CJ pre with non-CJ SS amp?

From tubes to solid state.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Re: Anyone running CJ pre with non-CJ SS amp?

Post by Wildcat »

Am I too late to join the party?

My PV-14L is my first CJ product--really liking it! I haven't settled on a phono stage yet--the Phonomena II+ sounds really good but has a bit of background noise (the hiss/"rushing" sound) that gets distracting. So I may still change that out.

Power amp is a Nakamichi PA-7, the original Nelson Pass design (the version that Pass himself recommends of the Nak amps). They're very similar to something like the Threshold S/x00 "Stasis" series (the circuitry has only minor changes between the two). It runs warm but it also has a smooth, warm sound to it.

I do really want a tubed amp, but don't know if I could live without having the power on tap. I will be driving Martin Logan Sequel IIs (refurbished/lightly modified). I like the Premier 140, which has some muscle to it, but they're out of my price range.

I can actually get a good price on an MF-2300a at the moment, but it would be more like a sideways move, wouldn't it? The PA-7 sounds quite good as-is. I just wonder if I'd gain anything by staying in the C-J family. And I'd have to sell the PA-7 and a crummy little Rotel to pay for it.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In terms of power output the the PA-7 and MF-2300a are about equal. Both are really nice amps, no doubt about it. If I had a choice I would go with the MF-2300a. A few reasons:
  1. I think sonically it should pair better with the PV-14L
  2. It's a newer unit. Less risk of failure. Those extra 7 years could mean the difference of a cap failure in the near future.
  3. I think the CJ unit is just a higher end product than the Nakamichi,... I guess that's just personal opinion.
In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either unit as they are both excellent. But I would go with the CJ... but take that with a grain of salt from somebody who spent time making a dedicated CJ forum! :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I agree--the MF-2300a is probably the better match. I always feel the "family" approach to preamp/power amp is the best. But I go between wanting that or maybe a more powerful tube amp like the Premier 140 (yet I could do without the heat, in this part of the house). It's C-Js fault they make too many tempting power amps. ;)

I certainly can live with the Nak for now, no issues there. I'll be freshening up the caps in the autumn, so it will be good to go for another dozen or two years. At least I can live with it while I decide which way I want to go on C-J amplification.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

Currently reviewing the GAT 2 with my reference Pass Xs 300 mono blocks and the combination is fantastic. It's just like when I started my CJ journey about 35 years ago with a PV-1 and the Threshold 400A power amp. Interesting...
Publisher, TONEAudio Magazine
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

TONEPUB wrote:Currently reviewing the GAT 2 with my reference Pass Xs 300 mono blocks and the combination is fantastic. It's just like when I started my CJ journey about 35 years ago with a PV-1 and the Threshold 400A power amp. Interesting...
Good to see you here, Jeff!

Your write-up of the Nak PA-7 was one of the reasons I ended up getting one when I had a chance to grab a nice one locally.
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

Thank you for the kind words! And thank you for reading...
Publisher, TONEAudio Magazine
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
joemarsh
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by joemarsh »

admin wrote:In terms of power output the the PA-7 and MF-2300a are about equal. Both are really nice amps, no doubt about it. If I had a choice I would go with the MF-2300a. A few reasons:
  1. I think sonically it should pair better with the PV-14L
  2. It's a newer unit. Less risk of failure. Those extra 7 years could mean the difference of a cap failure in the near future.
  3. I think the CJ unit is just a higher end product than the Nakamichi,... I guess that's just personal opinion.
In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either unit as they are both excellent. But I would go with the CJ... but take that with a grain of salt from somebody who spent time making a dedicated CJ forum! :)
I'm running a ET3 SE with a MF 2300A. The 2300A replaced an Adcom 555. It's been running worry free for 15 years. I'm trying to determine what's next....Thinking Ayre, Wells Audio, Plinius, McIntosh, or a CJ solid state. I could get seduced by a Premier 140. I am looking for synergy so, if others have experiences to share with any and all....love to hear!
mikeycooks4u
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mikeycooks4u »

YES!! I have a PV 11 which I bought new in 97 or so, only replaced 2 - tubes since new. I have used it with a Classe 15, a Dyna Stereo 70, the power amp portion of a Kenwood Citation III (an amazing combo as the Kenwood only cost me $10 and it sounded great!), the power amp in a Technics integreated amp (this didnt work so well for some reason), a few Marantz integrated amps (in the bypass mode) and at the moment I am using an Adcom GFA 555 II and this is also a great set-up for the money. The PV11 is the constant and it lets me know which amp or amp section is worthy.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I've had a change in my system since my last post in this thread--I am now using a Premier 11 power amp with the PV-14L. Given that Nelson Pass's design of the PA-7 had what might be called "tube-like" qualities to it, there is less of a difference between the PA-7 and the Premier 11 than you'd think. While I wouldn't bi-amp my Vandersteens with a mix of tubes and transistors, I would have no issues bi-amping a pair of Martin Logans that way, as some of their models have amplifiers for their bass modules, letting you drive the panels with your amplifier of choice. (Given that these are two different technologies--dynamic bass drivers vs. electrostatic panels--the two types of amps should work well together driving the complete system.) The Premier 11 does sound nice with most music, but when the music has a lot of dynamics or powerful bass, it runs out of gas quickly. I am anxious to get my Martin Logan refurb project completed, so I can try all of this out together. :)
Kyrlos
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Kyrlos »

Years ago I used a PV4 and later a PV-10A with my Mark Levinson No. 29.