Conrad Johnson Classic 120

From tubes to solid state.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Conrad Johnson Classic 120

Post by Timo62 »

Hello ,

I currently own a Premier 17 and MV55 amp. I also owned the CAV50 for many years. I just bought a pair of Harbeth M40.2 speakers and looking for some more power from an amp. I am an EL34 fan and would welcome any feedback on the CJ Classic 120 EL34 version.

Thanks ,

Tim
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Conrad Johnson Classic 120

Post by roberto »

Hola Tim, !
You can't go wrong with the Classic One twenty. If you like the EL-34 tube, then you do know that are you going to get, but much better. The unit is clear, transparent sound, wide and depth 3 D sound stage, with the right size of the instruments with a lot of air between them.

Happy listening
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Thanks Roberto for you input on the CJ Classic 120.

Sorry for the late response , but I just noticed your reply.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Tim,

That is affirmative!

The new Classic series of amplifiers will bring out the best from your music. They are so well designed and built to very high standards compared to the older models, that they can compare side by side even with their own top of the line. The higher up you go with CJ, and believe me it gets very expensive as you go up towards GAT and ART status, they do sound incredible. However, for a much more realistic and affordable price range, something that is well within reach after hard work and successful career... the Classic series is quite affordable to more audio enthusiasts and music fanatics.

Any of the Classic series are superb amps, starting with the 60 to the 120, and if you want to take the performance further by quite a margin the "SE" versions are SOTA!

This is also what I plan to do with my older monoblocks, the LP125m's, after the SE upgrade, that should provide an even further level of refinement and outstanding value for what they can deliver.

The EL34 is no doubt a magical tube, if you do like that midrange warmth and are also looking for equally good fast bass, which is lean and tight, try the KT88 tubes. They were recommended from a known chap who has very high regard for the KT88's on his monoblocks, which are the same ones that I currently have. On the other hand, if you are not looking at too low a bass, rather that magical midrange that the EL34's are known for, plus the added punch from having a bank of them in stereo config, then the Classic 120 in EL34 finish, should provide you with more than what is required.

I have also heard this particular amp fitted with EL34's driving a pair of Martin Logan Renaissance 15A's, it was marvelous! However, the chap who owned them thought they were not adequate and ventured towards the top of the line monoblocks, after trying the SE version of the Classic 120 as well. It also depends a lot on your room, hence too much power will over-energize the room, causing unwanted frequencies and distortions... Just the right amount of power at the right levels will give you that level of realism and true live impact, like focusing a camera lense.

I personally think the Classic 120 (EL34) version is superb and very highly musical, in fact this was going to be my final choice in amplifiers, until I found a special deal for the monoblocks... Go for it, you won't be disappointed mate.
Cheers, RJ
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Hello,

I am very satisfied with CJ The Classic 120 El34 amp. I had a chance to listen to the Classic120SE version modified with EL34 tubes. It is a great sounding amp also. At this time I prefer the standard Classic 120 version.
Even though the Classic120SE/EL34 version was a little more 3 dimensional, holographic and slightly fuller sounding , it was a little hot in the treble for my ears. I was listening to the Classic 120 SE/EL34 amp with a ET7-2 preamp. The teflon caps do add some magic to the music , but after a couple hours , the elevated treble level bothered me. Not sure if that could have been tweaked with different cables , or tubes.

Down the road I might revisit the SE/Teflon versions by way of a home demo. I would be interested in trying either ET3SE , or ET7 preamp, or TEA2SE phono preamp to confirm my experience that I had with the Classic 120SE/EL34 and ET7-2.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi Tim,

Still loving the Classic 120 with EL34? How do you think the Classic 120SE compares to the Classic 120SE version built around the EL34 tubes?

Thanks!
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,

I have only heard the Classic 120 and the Classic 120SE EL34 version. There is a difference in sound between those two as I stated in my last post here.

To answer your question , the difference between the two amps would be the sonic characteristics between the KT120 and EL34 tubes. Everything else would be the same.

You really probably need to hear the difference between the two for yourself if possible. I would just start out with listing with whatever version your local dealer has available . That should help steer you in the right direction. You might fall in love with the SE teflon versions, or find out that you would prefer the standard Classic 120 version.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Thank you. Finding the gear that I’d want to hear in stock locally will be a little difficult, but I’m searching.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,

I agree , it can be difficult to find a dealer that would have exactly what you would want to hear. That is why I suggested to just start somewhere with what ever they would have.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,

I would think you would be happy with either version of the Classic 120. It might be just a matter of preference and your budget. What are you using currently for a preamp , or will you be purchasing a new CJ preamp also?
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I want a CJ preamp but have a Luxman C900u which I love but is not a CJ :)
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Joe mate, where are you going with this...

Didn't you have a GAT preamp? What the heck did you do with it? C'mon maaaate, a Lucian? Oh no Joe, that's definitely not a CJ.

OK, I guess times have changed, tell us about your journey because I clearly remember that you did have one of the SOTA top of the line CJ pre-power combinations and that was the GAT with the Art amps.

I'm waiting for your explanation because this is very "uncj-ness... Even if such a word exists!
Cheers Joe, hang in there mate, I'm sure by the way things are going at your end, you will have a wonderful pair of Art300's or perhaps the Art150!

Let's see how you feel down the road...
Take care bud, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Sorry mate, I meant Luxman not Lucian, see even the smart phone spell checker doesn't recognize Luxman...
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,

The Luxman is a good preamp. It will do the job with a CJ amp. You can also with to CJ preamp at a later time, if you so choose.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hey RJ,

The prodigal son returns. Thinking about jumping back in. Nothing made me happier and more sleepless than my beautiful Conrad-Johnson gear. I’m just trying to figure out what I want.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Yes it is Tim but I remember well my previous GAT and ART monos. I’m missing my Conrad-Johnson gear.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

After previously owning the ART & GAT combination, the only thing out there that can slightly do better is their very own GatS2 & Art150 / 300's, nothing else I would say.

Let alone the GAT series 1 with the original ArtSA or even the monoblocks, will very easily out-perform every other pre-power match up, regardless of price. Lew & Bill made these two their last design and my golly was it a true work of Art. I am aware that Jeff was also heavily involved in the original design series and wanted to better it when he gets the chance, and that's exactly what he's done!

Take care to all CJ enthusiasts, keep that passion alive!
RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Nowhere to go but up :)

Stay tuned.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,
That GAT is a nice preamp , you are correct!