CAV45 - What Speaker Are You Using

From tubes to solid state.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

CAV45 - What Speaker Are You Using

Post by jahatl513 »

Hello All,
I have had large tube power from Premier 140 c1 and large SS power from Premier 350 and more. There are times I am fascinated with the idea of a CAV45 which always seems to bring high praise to low watts.

My question at the moment about the CAV45 is, what speaker set up are CAV45 owners using? Please enlighten me. Thanks!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CAV45 - What Speaker Are You Using

Post by roberto »

Hola jahatl513,
The output tubes EL34/6CA7 makes the sound quality to be very mellow. This tube produces a very sweet sound and of course, the quality sound of all CJ products. But having only 45 watts/channel we think that this power is too low, and I assure you that it will drive easy most all speakers on the market place today. I have long time ago, the MV-50 along with the first Martin Logan CLSs and had no issues regarding power. Yes, it did play a pleasant level. The good thing about this wonder CAV-45, is the simple design of the circuit.

You can use any brand of speakers having less than 88 dB/2.83V/ meter of sensitivity ...there are many high end speakers with more sensitivity and you will get enough SPL with this wonderful integrated.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/conrad ... amplifier/

If you do a google search, you will read about this fantastic integrated amp, the same enthusiasm about the quality sound and construction design. You can´t go wrong with it!. Highly recommended.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Looks like a great little control amplifier. Too bad it has no remote.

c-j_without_cover_II.jpg.648x460_q85.jpg
c-j_without_cover_II.jpg.648x460_q85.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, it is truly fascinating.
In fact I have posted a lengthy review of this in one of my previous posts under the CAV45, when I owned one.

At the time, I just got the Quads working again after a total disaster... Finally got them fully done up by John Hall in Melbourne, I had already placed an order for the Cav45 and it arrived at the same time John arrived!

All I can say is the following: (to summarize my previous long post)
1. It is super quiet, one of the quietest amps I've ever owned by CJ.
2. The musicality is just superb! Those EL34's are just magically tuned on this very special amp.
3. It is probably the most enjoyable amp I've ever owned to date!

Cheers, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Wow!
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

I think CJ just recently upgraded the power supply output for The CAV45 if I remember hearing correctly. That is was also an available upgrade to current owners.

I owned the CAV50 for many years and enjoyed that amp very much!
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Yes, the CAV-45 is now in Series 2 version. Gotta love Conrad Johnson!
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

This was a very good decision for Conrad Johnson. I agree.
warnie7
Regular
Regular

Post by warnie7 »

With my CAV-45 S2 my speakers are SAP Quartette 6ohms 95dB, 1 cross over and the sound is magical
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very cool. The CAV-45s2 is a get unit. If I was building a smaller 2nd system, it's probably what I would get. Congrats.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.