CJ Amp Recommendations -Sold my Premier 140 w/ CJD Teflon; have (3) CJ Pre's PV12 w/ phono, P17LS, P16LS2

From tubes to solid state.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

CJ Amp Recommendations -Sold my Premier 140 w/ CJD Teflon; have (3) CJ Pre's PV12 w/ phono, P17LS, P16LS2

Post by jahatl513 »

What amp CJ or otherwise are you running on your PV12, 17LS, 16LS2's?
I just sold my Premier 140 that I upgraded to C1. I have a PV12 w/ phono in excellent shape, Premier 17LS, Premier 16LS2 pre's. I have a CA150 not yet broken in, just for fun and because I got it new and super cheap. I'm driving old Klipsch Forte's (gen1), Revel Performa3 F208, and using an OPPO BDP-105 and Thorens TD-160 Super reproduction from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana and using Graham Slee eragold phono stage. The Premier 140 was my first venture into CJ world. I actually upgraded it w/ Jeff so that I could make some money selling it and move up. I am Just wondering what some might recommend paired with these pre's. I loved the Premier 140's big bold sound and am curious about pairing my existing pre's with CJ amps and others such as Pass, Ayre, Mark Levinson or Audio Research. I like the CJ thought but want to keep an open head/ear to it.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ Amp Recommendations -Sold my Premier 140 w/ CJD Teflon; have (3) CJ Pre's PV12 w/ phono, P17LS, P16LS2

Post by admin »

I can't speak to all of those, but I do own the PV12 and I use a CJ Evolution 2000 amp. I need a lot of power because I have very inefficient speakers. I can compare the PV12 to the PF2 and can say that the PV12 is definitely a big upgrade. If memory serves, the Klipsch Forte is a very sensitive speaker so even a very low power amp should be able to drive it rather easily with good dynamics. For the Revel you may need more power for best performance. I think it would also depend on what listening volume you prefer. Classical, jazz, etc... on moderate listening levels you should be fine with just about anything.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: CJ Amp Recommendations -Sold my Premier 140 w/ CJD Teflon; have (3) CJ Pre's PV12 w/ phono, P17LS, P16LS2

Post by jahatl513 »

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of more power, most speakers I have demand it and sound best when it is applied. What do you like about the Evolution 2000?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree, the more power the better. I do think that with many (if not most) speakers you don't have to go "crazy". Quality power trumps Quantity in most cases. There are cases where you do need a lot of power but that is usually restricted to playing music at high volume on inefficient speakers.

I won't go into a full review in this post as I already did a discussion post about the Evolution 2000 a few years back. You can read it here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

With the help of a CJ friend, I've landed on a Premier 350; The Legendary SS. It is everything they say it is and plays with the Premier 16LS2 very well. I'm impressed so far after 3 hours of listening.