LP125SA + tube rolling

From tubes to solid state.
marbeck
Beginner
Beginner

LP125SA + tube rolling

Post by marbeck »

Hi, would appreciate your advice here..., I’m try to find the best tube for the 6189 (already tryed RCA, valvo, and radiotechnique) I’m having problems getting options for the 6N30P.
Thanks!!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: LP125SA + tube rolling

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! the good old 6N30P- frankly I believe there isn't any substitute with this tube, if I am correct that is...

When I had my much beloved ACT2 that uses 4 of these very rare triodes, I searched far and wide for a suitable replacement to find nothing! Then I was informed by CJ HQ- that they were the only ones who possessed this rare tube and I had to eventually place all my AVCT2 tube replacement sets through CJ. After a few years, and eventually selling the ACT2, I came across Lamm, who also happens to use the 6N30P's. They may also have stock for purchase but would cost just as much as buying directly from CJ, which is going to cost a bit.

And that's all she wrote!
RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

RJ is correct in that there isn't a substitute available for the 6N30P (also known as the 6H30P) that I'm aware of either. However, they are offered by reputable tube dealers such as Upscale Audio.

According to their ad copy:

"6H30 - There are two types of 6H30 tubes currently being produced. The Sovtek brand which have the chrome pins, and the Electro Harmonix Gold pin. They are the same tube from the same factory. Don’t get your panties in a bunch over which is better, as the gold plating is laid over the chrome plating. They are both terrific. What is most important is how they test."

The Sovteks were what came stock with my Premier 140 amp. Keep in mind this was a dozen years ago but I was able to source both older Soviet military production and the DR (as opposed to P) variant. I found both to be more to my liking but the availablity of either would most likely be very problematic (read "expensive") nowadays.

Hope this helps.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Joe!

Just wanted you to know something- on my third visit to my dealer mate to place an order for some M8080 tubes,
low and behold in the second demo room there was a system playing some wonderful very lively tunes...

I ventured into the room and there for the very first time I got the chance to listen to something that always intrigued me.

The new CA150 driving a pair of Martin Logan top Motion 60xt's. I think it was this model and they were quite tall, 3 or 4 drivers with a ribbon looking tweeter but looked like a stat driver. At once I remembered you!

Those motion xt speakers are superb!
They don't require big rooms are quite easy to place. Once set up and dialed in correctly, they can present a superb soundstage with all the good qualities of an ESL. I think if I'm correct, the ML team voiced and engineered the drivers to sound close to that of stats, being able to deliver the speed as well as outstanding tight fast bass.

This was one real treat to listen to with the CA150 and especially using top of the line Nordost Cables Valhalla's, it was a very remarkable sound indeed. I have heard many wonderful systems in the past and have owned so many great ones too but there are a very few that truly stand out- and the Motion XT with CJ ss was one of them. Well done Joe, now I understand why you don't miss the Premier 140 & prem 16LS one bit...

cheers & a big woof to that!
good one mate! RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Well...I do sometimes miss them. There's a special magic in my opinion with tubed electronics and stats or stat hybrids. During the 90's I had the original Aerius speakers and they seemed to marry quite well even with mid-level electronics such as the c-j PV10A and two different amps I had from Golden Tube Audio (the SE-40 and then the SE-100). Later I had a pair of QUAD 989s and they also took well to various c-j tubed equipment.

That having been said, tube rolling became a mania of mine and before I depleted my savings entirely I switched to the solid state CA200. It doesn't have quite the magic of the previous equipment I had but it does keep a firm hand on Martin-Logan's modern day Aerius, the ElectroMotion ESL.

I think the tweeter in the new XT series is some type of folded design that may "pinch" the sound similar to the old Heil Air Motion Transformer design.

At this point except for perhaps a tweak here or there, I'm sticking with what I have.

Regards,
Joe
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, actually I can see why you would miss the overall sound/presence of tube amplification...

Infact, I was thinking down the line to try to simplify things, hence the love of the CAV45. That was probably my best purchase so far until...
Now with the new Classic 60SE, I getting that tube magic back with more power, transient control, depth in soundstage and a wonderful sense of realism in spatial cues. Although on the CAV45 I was quite used to the very seductive and magical midrange, with the Classic 60SE I'm actually sacrificing a little of that for more of the total performance on another level. I was told to wait to order in the new ET7 but I wanted something more simple and reliable and something that I knew very well, hence I settled for the PV15.

I decided though to keep things simple, at least in the tube replacement department, since the number of tubes on these two amplifiers is nothing compared to having monoblocks, which was actually my main move. Until I actually brought the Classic 60SE home did I realize that this was a perfect match with the Ethos.

I know when you talk about tube rolling, that can definitely make you go berserk, almost like a drug... So far, it took me nearly 13 years or so to settle down and be pleased with what the manufacturer recommends.
I'm going next Sunday to the Martin Logan place to have an audition to the new Impression line (ESL11A), he claims it to be far better than the Ethos.
Well, probably but the price rise to double does not justify that, unless it was the CLX. He also wants me to bring my Classic 60SE in for the demo, he's very confident and thinks he will close a deal with me walking out with the ESL11A, I don't think so, especially from what the Ethos is sounding like now! Completely different to what it was with the CAV45, or with any of his amps in the demo-room, other than the top line Pass Labs gear.

Well, let's wait and see how this one goes. Till then have a good one Joe and enjoy the music mate.
Cheers, RJ