CJ Premier 350 and 350SA

From tubes to solid state.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

CJ Premier 350 and 350SA

Post by JONTY »

Hi can anybody tell me if there were 2 versions of this amp i.e. The Premier 350 and The Premier 350SA.
As when I look at the vintage section on the CJ website it doesn't mention the. Teflon Caps and on The 350 and no mention of the SA.
I'm currently running a MF2500 in my system and have the opportunity to get the Premier 350SA at a good price and was wondering if this would be a noticeable improvement and does this one have Teflon caps...? Pre will be The Tea2SE along with ET5 Pre and Audio Physics Avanti 30s.
Also what dates were they released if they are both different versions.
Many Thanks,
Jonathan.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: CJ Premier 350 and 350SA

Post by Joe Appierto »

I believe that they are one and the same amp with the "SA" designating that it's a Stereo Amplifier. The face plate reads Premier 350SA under the conrad-johnson company name.

Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Joe,
Thanks, do you know if CJ used the Teflon caps in all there Premier 350s or is this an upgrade..? I ask becouse one is being sold on ebay, as a rare limited edition model with quite a high price.
Jonathan.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I don not know for sure, Jonathan, as there is some contradictory evidence on the c-j site. It does not mention the Teflon caps in its vintage product description. However, the 350SA is also missing from the listing of power amps eligible for the C1 Teflon capacitor upgrade. The latter would indicate to me that it already has them.

Your best bet may be to contact c-j directly by phone and ask. It'd be a good idea to have the serial number of the amp in question just in case they say some did have them and some didn't.
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Yes I also noticed that in there description of the Premier 350SA in the vintage section on the CJ site.
But if you read the reviews they mention the Teflon Caps in the reviews Circa 2004.
Anyway I have sent them an email so we should get a Definative answer soon....!!
Thanks Again Joe.
Jonathan.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi all,
Here is a definitive answer to the Premier 350SA conundrum above, from Jasmin at Conrad Johnson.
Quote:
First and foremost, there is no SA version. This was fabricated by the public. The only model designation is PREM 350. All premier 350 were built with the same quality components VHAY resistors and CJD Teflon capasitors. Typically, consumers use the SA designation to imply STERO AMPLIFIER.
Thank you,
Jasmine
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Has Jasmin ever looked at the amplifier's faceplate? Not intending to sound disrespectful but it's plain as day: Premier 350SA. It's good to know, however, that ALL of them come with Teflon capacitors.
C-J CA200
Polk T50
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Lew johnson told me personally, years ago, that 'SA' means 'Stereo Amp'. So someone may think there is such a thing as, for instance, an ET250 (Enhanced Triode, 250 WPC), but there isn't--it's an 'ET250SA'.

And FWIW, this ET250SA sounds EXCELLENT!
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

I think Jasmine may be confusing the 350SA nomenclature with 350"SE" denoting "Special Edition" which is an urban myth!

I have owned my CJ Premier 350SA since 2004 (purchased new from the UK official importer/distributor, Audiofreaks.

It is still my main system power amp and having added a new CJ GAT Series 2 preamplifier last year, it is a wonderful combination.

My owners manual confirms that Teflon capacitors are fitted as standard.
CJ GAT2/Premier 350SA, dCS Vivaldi full stack, TAD CR1 MKII, Melco NIZH/60/2, TW Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L, Whest PS.30 RDT 'SE' phono stage, MIT Oracle MAX/MA cabling, DAAD room tuning, Stillponts racks, balanced PSU.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Xcop5089,
I'm sure that's correct, interestingly I've just purchased the CJ 350sa I'm going from the CJ 250 and will be using an ET5 pre, I've just sold my ET3 wth phono and replaced that with the Tea2SE.
What are your thoughts re: the Premier 350sa with the Gat....? I will be using Audio Physic Avanti 30th
for my speakers and am hoping it'll all be a good match.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

JONTY wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:30 am Hi Xcop5089,
I'm sure that's correct, interestingly I've just purchased the CJ 350sa I'm going from the CJ 250 and will be using an ET5 pre, I've just sold my ET3 wth phono and replaced that with the Tea2SE.
What are your thoughts re: the Premier 350sa with the Gat....? I will be using Audio Physic Avanti 30th
for my speakers and am hoping it'll all be a good match.
Hi Jonty,

I don't have any experience with Audio Physic speakers, but I have used my Premier 350SA with three different preamps (Tom Evans Vibe with Pulse 2 power supply, Karan Acoustics Reference MKII and now a GAT Series 2) and four different speaker systems (Avalon Indra and Compas, Estelon XA and my current TAD CR-1 MKII's).

I always thought the Karan reference two-box preamp and the 350 were well-matched (both brands are sold by Audiofreaks UK and often feature together in systems reviewed by the British hi fi press) but the pairing of the GAT 2 and 350SA is sublime!

The 350SA has bags of power on tap (600 watts RMS into a 4 Ohm load) and current delivery is 66 amps. The amp is capable of driving virtually any speaker system and the myriad of online reviews attest to it's sound quality, which some have described as "tube-like" but with the grunt and bass attributes of a big solid-state amp. Adding the GAT 2 reveals a grainless quality to music, detailed and fluid with excellent bass power and sound staging!

My CJ 350SA is now my oldest system component (purchased in 2004). Yes, there are some amps which do some things better, but I have yet to find one at a reasonable price (I paid £6000.00 GBP) that does it all as well as the 350SA!

Congratulations on your purchase! I am certain you will be very happy with it!
CJ GAT2/Premier 350SA, dCS Vivaldi full stack, TAD CR1 MKII, Melco NIZH/60/2, TW Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L, Whest PS.30 RDT 'SE' phono stage, MIT Oracle MAX/MA cabling, DAAD room tuning, Stillponts racks, balanced PSU.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

My Cj Premier 350SA sits on a quartet of Stillpoints Ultra 6 + Ultra Bases, on an Ikea bamboo chopping board, which in turn is supported on a Stillpoints Component Stand on a quartet of Stillpoints & Risers! Power cord is a Vertex Hi-Rez Roraima, interconnects MIT Oracle MA-X and speaker cables MIT Magnum MA.

Imagefullsizeoutput_901 by Steve Coward, on Flickr
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

My GAT 2 sits on a grid level of one of the two Stillpoints ESS racks I have, supported by a quartet of Stillpoints Ultra SS. Power cord is a Vertex AQ Hi-Rez Roraima.

Imagefullsizeoutput_8fb by Steve Coward, on Flickr
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola...beautiful units, enjoy!
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

roberto wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:35 pm Hola...beautiful units, enjoy!
Happy listening!
Thanks Roberto!
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

I second that Roberto, the 350SA looks Stunning on its pedestal.
What's the going rate for a decent 350SA in good condition these days.....? Have they had any revisions along it's much exalted path...?
Saab77
Regular
Regular

Post by Saab77 »

I have a Premier 350 and an ET5 . They sound great together. The bass goes really deep and is tight, the mids are holographic and 3D like . Overall ,a very pleasing, well balanced and detailed presentation.

However, I have a small issue with too much gain . Music is loud enough at night with ET5 on volume level 1.

Does anyone else have this issue with gain ? If so , please share what your experience with addressing this issue has been .

I have ordered a pair of 10 db Rothwell Attenuators to try .
I hope it doesn't suck the life out of the music.

Thanks
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Saab77 (Saab was my first car, front wheel drive and three cylinders), can you explain to us your hook up connections at the ET -5 please?

Happy listening,
Roberto
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Sabb77
I have exactly the same issue 13-14 on the volume scale is loud and at the other end of the scale 1 there is enough Gain to listen too where you would expect it to be barley audible so Gain is very high. However I'm ok with it as it doesn't seem to overload the input. Might be worth contacting CJ to see what they say.
Jonty.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

Too much gain is not an issue with my GAT2/350SA.

I can adjust the output of my dCS Vivaldi DAC in four increments (.2, .6, 2 & 6 Volts) so using it on the .6 Volt setting means that for normal listening levels with my 86db efficient TAD speakers, I am around 50, or halfway on the preamp volume setting.

Adjusting the gain setting on my moving coil phono preamplifier achieves the same result!
Last edited by XCop5089 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.