Fans and Premier Five Power Amps

From tubes to solid state.
SpatialKing
Beginner
Beginner

Fans and Premier Five Power Amps

Post by SpatialKing »

Well, I have run out of space in the rack and I need to either build a rack for the two Premier Fives or put fans in the existing rack. I grossly violate the air space recommended by CJ for cooling and breathing, so fans are needed. I could build a small rack out of some really exotic wood and mount them vertically, each facing away from each other with a couple of inches between them. I'd set them on the floor next to speakers but that won't fly with the good Lady.

Anyone have any suggestions on how much air flow and where to put the fans? I thought I would explore that option before starting construction on a new rack.

Robert
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fans and Premier Five Power Amps

Post by admin »

Hi Robert,
First, let me welcome you to CJO. Nice to have you with us.

I have a little experience with heat problems in my equipment as well. I have an Onkyo receiver in my home theater setup that runs incredibly hot. Like so hot that you can't put your hand on the cover for more than a second or it will start burning you. I also have this cramped into a rack that only has a 1.5" clearance. Obviously this was concerning as the temperatures on the unit would be rather extreme with only short periods of on time. The solution is a "cross flow fan." They are small, easy to install, can be hidden in the back of the rack so you don't see it, etc. Even minimal active air flow will remove the vast majority of heat and will be superior to the passive cooling of fanless equipment. A cross flow fan should provide plenty of airflow to keep your hardware nice and cool.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SpatialKing
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SpatialKing »

By a cross flow fan, do you mean a 4 inch box fan blowing horizontally?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGJ78-8- ... s+flow+fan

They have many different models, sizes, etc. It depends on the size of your rack and which one would do the job best. They have a smaller height profile than "box fans" and are designed for short but wide exhausts. Essentially perfect to put in a tight equipment rack back end.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.