CA200 issue - HELP!

From tubes to solid state.
LozzaB
New User
New User

CA200 issue - HELP!

Post by LozzaB »

Hi there from Perth, Australia.

I am the proud owner of a CA200. Best sounding 'integrated' I have ever heard in my 40+ years of hifi experimentation.

However, I have a problem and would greatl appreciate any assistance as I am far from help here in the most remote city in the world! I am connected with A Chord Hugo at the front (only thing I have found that lets me listen to digital without getting tired), and via a REL328 sub to a pair of Usher Dancer-Mini X speakers. Ordinarily sounds wonderful with deep bass and room filling sound, pin-point accurate imaging that I can listen to for hours. Suddenly though, there has been a noticeable drop off in relative volume, sound has become thin, the amp (whose heat fin usually gets pretty warm) remains cool at even 80+ volume level (a level I have never played previously), and, critically, there is NO BASS and no signal getting through to the sub which would shake the room before. Its like it is running at 10%. The sub appears to be ok and set up hasnt changed (as per balanced instructions - and always worked previously). The sound is very thin and there is definitely a massive diminishment in volume compounded by the massive loss of bass. This is independent of source - same on Airplay through my backup Arcam DAC.

The 4 fuses at the back appear to be in tact.

Any ideas out there? I've not taken the lid off but could this be a simple internal fuse to one of the power supplies?

I'm all ears!

look forward to a response.
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: CA200 issue - HELP!

Post by adeep42 »

Hello to you Mate, I am also a very happy CA-200 owner here in the States. Feel the same way as you about it. I wish I could really help. I'm just here for moral support.

Have you tried e-mailing CJ support. They were quite helpful to me once in the past.

Regards an best of luck. I'll be watching.

Alan
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate,

Best would be to contact CJ directly as advised by Alan no doubt. Perhaps email Jeff from tech/service, should be able to sort it out.

The other closest route would be to contact Caxton Audio in Brissey- have a chat to David Neilen, he should be able to assist. I only hope he's not too grumpy when he answers the phone...

Cheers mate, RJ
Cam
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cam »

Hi there,

I have the same problem, did you get any resolve to this issue? It is odd as there doesn’t appear to be any problems with distortion or noise which would be there if a component failed and it is consistent on both channels.

regards,

Cameron

Tasmania
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Hi Cam,

Wish I could help. Never had any issues like that. I know you are far away from CJ, but they have been helpful to me in the past. If the time difference is an issue, drop them an email. They're good folks.

Good luck,

A
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

David Neilan from Caxton Audio based in Brisbane, they're the sole importers of CJ in Aus, he's being servicing CJ gear for decades and also knows Jeff quite well. It's just a matter of making a phone call and arranging for the unit to be sent over there if required.

Damien, his son, runs and owns Sound Reference, based in Melbourne but he does not service any gear, only sells and offers the full line of CJ. If there were any service matters relating to any CJ amps, they would be sent directly to David for a full check up. He's outstanding with CJ amplification and has been doing this for decades, will not be an issue whatsoever to get it working right.

The decision is yours.
Cheers mate, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. Just thinking loud, first, measure the regulator's voltage. Also, a bad capacitor could be the culprit too. I do not have the schematics for this integrated power amp, but usually all are about the same circuit topology, What makes the difference is the quality parts and the FET output stage. Of course the design has to do with the sound quality. I will check first the power supply, because it affects both channels at the same time. If you have the problem in only one channel, then the problem is located there, at the bad channel.
I wish that I could be closer to you to give you a better info and checking the voltage regulator stages. This will be my very first choice to look at.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Cam
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cam »

Thank you, I have decided to do a frequency run on the lower octaves, say below 400Hz to see what is really going on - need to make up a load for testing, used to have access to test gear but will have to improvise.
Is both channels and no other issues like d&n so puzzling.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Cam, are both channels having the same problem? I want to track right from where is the problem. A thin sound, and lacking of bass energy usually is due to a bad capacitors or a bad tube, but yours is SS.

I had once a Mark Levinson preamplifier with terrible sound. All the electrolytic capacitors on both channels were dried. I did change all of them, and the Mark Levinson sound came back again.

Do you have a service info of your CA200? Please, tell us your findings.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Cam
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cam »

Hi Roberto, certainly looks like electrolytic capacitors - 4x 6800uf 100v near the heatsink, 3 with definite bulges so will replace all of them. Surprisingly they are 85 degree rating and being so close to that heat sink would de-rate quickly. Will also do the PS caps over by the mains transformer, again I am surprised they are 85 degree C rating only.

Will let you know now it goes.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Cam,

How is your CA200 doing? Did you change the caps? I will check also the coupling stage caps. The signal goes through them. The power supply caps are culprit of high hum and lack of power. Yes I do know that you know this too. I do believe that your problem remains in bad capacitors...

Happy listening!