Two new power amps from CJ for 2017!

From tubes to solid state.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Two new power amps from CJ for 2017!

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mates, from down unda...

So it looks like CJ has arrived with a few new items; both Classic power amp series- one a version two of their current 60 watter and the other a 120 watter with EL34's. These can also be ordered for SE versions with KT120's for that extra special oomph.

Looks totally Classic to me, just awesome!

Was wondering whether any of you over there (USA humble folks) have auditioned any of these newer amps? And if so what are your impressions?

Admin, have you come across these ones as yet?

We don't have any delivered to Australia as yet, and even if they were, these are going to be quite pricey. I can bet the 60w version two would start at 10 grand plus, and the 120w version would be around 15 grand. Currently there are the LP125m monoblocks at the dealers (the only one in Melbourne), being sitting around for nearly 3 years. Now they're on special, going for 10 grand. Most Aussies will not spend this kind of money on audio/hi-fi, on sports cars perhaps or to pimp their ride.

However, there's a new emerging Asian and Middle Eastern clientele that can afford just about anything. No clue about high-end audio or the way reproduced music should sound but prefer to buy the most expensive items on the block, regardless of whether they sound good or not...
These chaps would actually look down on the new CJ amps as being "cheap" hence perhaps ART series would be considered affordable.

That's good! I should have married a camel!

Just kidding around, anyway I am quite interested to learn about these new offerings from CJ, and if anyone has come across them, please do share.
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Two new power amps from CJ for 2017!

Post by admin »

I have not had the opportunity to audition the newer offerings from CJ. Unfortunately the nearest authorized dealer is over an hour away. There was an audio shop that carried some of their line that was relatively close by. Unfortunately, they moved their shop to another town and now they are a good hour away which makes visiting a little difficult.

I would love to spend a day just listening to these new designs. They sometimes have "open house" nights where they invite guest speakers and demo new speakers and other hardware. I was planning on going up on one of these days but the last few have always fallen on days where I was away on vacation or otherwise not available.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. I am getting both new amps this coming week. The Classic 62SE and the Classic one twenty SE too. I am confident that these models do own the C-J signature sound. Lew Johnson told me to get both, and I bought his recommendation. I will keep you posted. Both models are built with the KT-120 output tubes, teflon capacitors and metal foil resistors. These quality parts make to have a very good S/N ratio, and also the harmonic texture that we all love about Conrad Johnson.
There is a new pre-amp coming out soon, so I recently sold my ET-5. Right now I am using a Sonic Frontiers Line 3, but lacks the C-J magic. I am not going to say that its bad, no but there is a warmth that I am missing a lot.

Regards to all from Costa Rica,
Roberto.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Wow! I did not expect such big difference of what I had previously. This new One twenty SE really rocks! Just out of the box, the stage is more precise with much air between the musical instrument(s). Right now, I have over 30 hours of listening and I am really pleased. The harmonic texture of the delicate passages of the music is wonderful. Its a jewel to use. My ears are grateful with this new incredible musical sound. The size of the voice vs musical instruments is just right! Andrea Bocelli never had this quality voice.
Anna Netrebko is singing like a canary. The voice of Ann Hampton Callaway singing "Tenderly" is very chesty without any glare.
Congratulations Conrad Johnson for this new power amplifier!
Happy listenigmg!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

Hi Roberto,

Are you a CJ dealer? What CJ amplifier did you use before when you say there is a big difference?

Thanks, Ronen
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Ronen.
I had an ARC VT-100MKIII modified. Still have it. I did change the capacitors and all carbon resistors for Vishay metal film. Also use the KT-120s as power tubes. The unit is very clear and nice to my ears. I had this amp for over 10 years, and just listen recently on a friends system the ARTSA stereo power amp. He also is a owner of the ET-5. We have the same speakers, the Martin Logan CLXs, he uses two BF-212 subs, I use only one BF-210. My room is very small, but I do like a lot what I have. When I listen music that I was very used, in his system, I said to myself, I must try in my system C-J. I am glad that I did that. Not only I am convinced of the quality sound of C-J sound, I am re-discovering newer nuances, harmonic textures that I was not getting them as I am now. I love this new Classic One twenty. The simplicity of the circuit and the quality parts is the clue!
Happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Gday mate, glad to hear that you are enjoying the new Classic 120. That should be a fine amplifier indeed.

Yes, yes, yes! The ML CLX Art- that is my reference speaker of all time. I have done a post somewhere here, after having listened to a good mate's CLX system. He's using the Pass Labs XA30.8 (30w pure class A) and it is just superb! Of course his other gear is top end, Leben tube line stage, Allnic phono stage with separate 300B tube power suppy, Linn TT with separate power supply, and some very high quality DAC's which he's about to upgrade to an all tube DAC. He feels that this is the best combination he's had so far, and I do agree! Although I would prefer tube amplification all the way for the front end and back end, with the Pass Labs power amps for the macro, and and tubes for the micro, I think this is a superb combination with the CLX. 30w of class A is just unbelievable.

We both previously owned Quads with tubes, including Quad amps, SET 845's, KT120's, and so on. But after listening to his CLX system, I couldn't go back to Quads, hence I sold off the dam things and went in for the Ethos. One definite superb value in hybrid electrostats, however not perfect and not as coherent as a full range CLX system, with the new CAV45 it is more than musical for me. Totally satisfying and gives you ample power when called for.

I have put the CLX's on hold for now, as I/we are building our new home. Further up north and 15km's away from where we are now. Once we move in mid next year, perhaps towards the end of the year, the CLX's will be on my list of upgrades. One superb stat speaker system like no other.

I am sure the Classic 120 must be marvellous on your CLX's! bloody great stuff mate!
Wish I could audition this, because I don't know anyone here in Melbourne who uses CLX's with tube power amps. There is one chap up in Canberra who uses his CLX's with Lamm gear and 5 subs! The moment I came across the 5 subs, I passed the "long" drive to Canberra to audition thumping bass.

Honestly speaking, the bass of the CLX is more than adequate for me, and it is super fast!
Cheers, and a definite happy listening.
RJ
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

Well said. Although I currently own Sonus Faber speakers I owned several ML speakers in the past including the CLSz and they were all phenomenal speakers and some of the best value in audio today. I am sure your setup sound absolutely marvelous.

Enjoy!
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos...and thanks for your kind words! I have to admit it, I am a crazy tubed guy! I had tried all combinations, including digital Bel Canto gear, and always ended with tubes. Because I do have a workshop where we service most hi-end brands, I had the opportunity to ¨see¨what´s inside of many well known brands in the audio circle. Also I had learned about quality parts, and Conrad Johnson is one of the best audio brands to use in their goods high quality parts! Sonic Frontiers was another.
I have to admit it...I had lost valued good time spent to listening other brands instead C-J, but the good thing is that I always had landed again with C-J. Mr. Lew Johnson is a very good friend. Each time that I go to the CES, going to the C-J booth is always in my priority list. I always had a very nice welcome, even that I am a very small fish. I always be grateful with Lew for his kind patience to explain all my silly questions and no business!
Now back to our beloved hobby: Listening to the music.
I have to tell you that I studied classical guitar since I was 12 years old. When I was 19 years, at College, here in Costa Rica, my dad once told me: Roberto come here and please be seated in the sofa, I have to talk to you. Once I got to the sofa, he came by and said to me: I had noticed that you are putting a lot of time in your guitar, besides that I had supported you since long time ago, and still do it. Do you want to be a profesional musician? You are spending more than 5 hours a day with it. My advice is: If you think that you are going to pay your life bills with the guitar, I recommend to you don't do it! And do you know why? Because you are not that good! Coming from a father, my eyes were wide opened. He said, if I do believe that you are OK with the guitar, you perhaps will be in Berkeley, or a similar College. Don't get me wrong. I love to listen to you playing, as your mother and family, friend, but paying the bills of the life, is going to be very hard and difficult for you. Study other thing where you can pay the bills, and please continue playing guitar for us and friend. Its nice to listen to you...I ended studding electronics.
Same as you, I ended with electrostatic speakers long time ago. Still have a Quads ESL-63 in my storehouse. Also had Beveridge 2WS, and the cylindrical shape model 3. Then went with ribbon with Apogee and ended with ML. I had lived the bad and the good days with ML. My heart is with ML...perhaps its just a me-thing (lol). And with C-J, I am a "Prodigal Son" with much respect!...I am coming back with C-J definitively!
When I had my first CLS, I did modify two MV-50s and put then in bridge. I took the 100K resistor at the input, and put both channels in parallel, also connected another jumper the 16 Ohms speaker connector together, and used it as 8 Ohms impedance. Yes I do know that ML should be connected in the 4 Ohms connector, but I liked more here...the overall sound was not too bad. I did like a lot what I was listening. Also remember that at that time, I had my Linn LP-12 with a magneplanar Unipivot tonearm, and still do. Also have a Goldmund Studio and a Oracle Delphi VII.
Still have my record collection...over 3000 LPs...but I do not use them anymore.

All I can say is I am recovering all my music with this new power amp. The detail, the harmonic texture, the nuances, the timbre, the stage, the quality clean signal, the lack of distortion, the pure sound of the musical instruments...I am really in heaven!

Thanks C-J to give me again the wanting to be in my room to listen to the music again. I am not getting bored as I used to be!
Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@roberto

Thank you for the insight and what a great story about your father. It's nice to see parents supporting their children but also instilling realistic views of the world.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks Mr. Admin, and yup, He was a truly gentleman!. Loving with my brother, who is three years older than me. Please notice that I was born on December the 25th at my grandmas house. My parents were visiting her on Christmas days, because they lived in a farm away from the Capital, San Jose, and my grandmother was only one block away from the Hospital. But God wanted me to be born on her house, because my only brother wanted for Xmas a brother. I was born around 5 o'clock in the morning, and I was his Xmas present! Another true history...but I will tell later on...lol.

Getting back to my new improved sound, I can tell you that now I am getting more dynamics and more inner detail than yesterday. I do not understand this...with 24 hours of singing constantly, I can pick new things that were masked and now are more present, with incredible focus. Focus is the clue now...very well with more emphasis in relief. Listening to Johanna Rose playing Viola Da Gamba playing to a work by Karl Abel, is breath taking! What a strings contrast!...and the viola resonates as it is, with robust bass and energy. I found her at Youtube, but you should try to get her DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvpU3UYtVmI
Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. Just a little note about the bass in the CLXs. Martin Logan has available and free software for the subs models BF-210 and BF-212. This is a firmware designed to work for the right frequency crossover cut for each speaker model. You download it from the site, using the provided flash drive. Once you have the file, there is a USB soket in the sub, just plug it and thats all. Works great!
Will come back soon with another report of how the Classic One Twenty SE is doing.
Happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Roberto,

Great life story mate, especially when the family is involved and there is more joy to everything.

I can tell you one thing for sure; is that the heavenly / breathtaking sound you are experiencing is not all about CJ. It is your total system synergy, and that being a fact- your ML CLX's ! These are one of the best transducers you will ever come across.

I have heard and owned many wonderful systems with very high priced gear but the sound didn't live up to expectations, simply because the transducers were not so transparent and could not deliver what the rest of the gear was capable of. Even though these speakers systems were very costly, they just could not open up the soundstage or there was far too much distortion, which many, including myself, gets used to thinking that it is glorious.

Being a classic guitar player and one that has been around live acoustic music, such as yourself, when you here something good, clean and open, you will notice it straight away. Similarly, my experiences have been all around Jazz. Live performances from Diana Krall, Casandra Wilson to Kenny Burrell, George Benson and so on... Seen them live in Melbourne as well couple years ago.

To me, the ML CLX Art is one of the most transparent speakers you will ever come across. They are capable of incredible articulate, clean fast-tight bass, down to low notes (if the amplifier can drive it properly, Pass Labs is another superb match). The CLX's are also capable of lightening quick transient response, with a totally coherent sound, delivering an equally superb soundstage when set up properly. Therefore, with amplification such as CJ to back it up, you will find the sound to be marvellous.

I have noticed that with Pass Labs amplifiers, operating in pure Class A, can drive the bass with phenomenal control. It's able to bring out the bass of the CLX very cleanly and with ultra speed, that I have not experienced on any other speaker system to date! Therefore, adding subs would just introduce more distortion, plus phase issues, and I find mating subs with CLX's to be highly unnecessary. (this is a personal preference)

I very clearly remember my first experience with the ML Statement Evolution III. Now that was one awesome sound to experience, it was like no other. Having previously owned the CLSIIz's and two versions of Quad's, coming back to ML's was a revelation! More than two decades after, experiencing CLX's was just outstanding, and ML have done it again! What a remarkable transducer system indeed! It reminded me of the Statements but with even more cohesiveness, since the Statements were a multiple tower array with separate bass towers.

Although, CJ in general is fantastic no doubt. If not matched with the right type of transducers, that pure magic of CJ's capability is not found. However, when matched with a totally coherent transducer, and one that is as transparent as your CLX's, that sound is the "absolute sound."

I am not saying that the CLX's are the best. There are others out there, such as Maggies, Sound Lab, and other stats, plus dynamic driver systems like Magico, Harbeth's, Sonus Faber and so on that can capture many fantastic attributes of sonic bliss but to me, there is nothing as transparent as the CLX.

So with that and my 50cts worth of gibberish, yes the ML CLX Art is the best!
Cheers mate, enjoy to the fullest, and you will experience more detail and transparency as the amplifiers run in.
All the best, RJ

p.s. if ever you get "bored" of your CLX's, just send them across to Melbourne, I'll be waiting...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

hahahaha, I will call you first of course. I think that we had talk before. Did I send to you some bossa nova music that I recorded with friends? This was at the Martinloganowners.com.

And you are right with the CLXs. At the Munich Electronic Show in 2008, ML presented the CLXs for the first time to the World. At the end of the Show, two finalist remain, the Grand Utopia by Focal, JMLabs, a pair of speakers costing in the US $180.000.00 and the CLXs. For the first time in the history of the Show, the 11 judges declared the CLX as the best sound of the Show, unanimously! This told me something about the quality sound that they have, and also, did encourage a dear friend to bring a pair to Costa Rica. The Angel Cupid hit the arrow right to the center of my heart!

And now Cupid had done that to me again! I am experiencing great results with this C-J Classic One twenty SE power amp. Its a very simple design and also the quality sound that I am getting is due to this new baby. I wrote to my friend Lew Johnson and told him some of my findings. My ears are granted with this new power amp. It weights about 80 pounds, but its not too big.

Because my dedicated room is small, the LEDs for the bias adjustment, usually blinks when the music is playing. Blinking is normal. I had adjusted them in a such way that when the LED is lit, I turn the adjusting screw just enough to turn it down, in all 8 KT-120 power tubes. When I listen to the level that my ears like and do not bleed, because the level is high, and having the musician(s) with the size that I like, all LED remain off. They do not blink. This is telling me the big head room that I do have now too!! Its a truly clear, no stress, no ear fatigue, no compressed, no distorted, no stretched, overall sound! Spacious, with air into the musical instruments, right size between a piano and a violin, with truly sense of 3D, is the sound that I am getting now. I have a big Wow when I listen to Brian Bronberg playing the acoustic bass.

Here is a little sample of Brian playing acoustic bass with some great well known jazz players ( George Duke, Boney James, Rick Braun, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jeff Lorber, Gannin Arnold ). You can listen an organ B-3 along with piano, a drummer and a sax. The keyboard player is amazing too. The sax timbre comes just right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UybrIEIeC6M

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The CLX's are my dream speakers. I had fallen in love with Martin Logan's when I had a pair of vantages. I currently use magnepan 20.1's but if one day the budget allows, the CLX's is what I would love to put in my listening room.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I do know what you mean...but also Magnepan is one of the brands that sounds right!. I had long time ago the Timpani model IIIB. There were eight panels as follows: 2 Tweeters, two mid ranges and four bass. The look was as a big folding screen, and you could adjust the panels for the best stage on your room. I did use two Bryston 4B at that time, and Conrad Johnson PV-5. I had an electronic crossover and also the LP12 turntable by Linn. Still have it.

I don´t know if you are aware of the design of the CLXs. The stat panels located inside, are the mid range and highs, and the bass panels are outside. There are four double stat bass panels at the bass section, and are connected in a bi-polar array. The mid range and highs are di-polar. This array makes the CLXs to be very dynamic with outstanding size and to have nice air between the musical instruments and voices. With the help of this marvelous new Classic One twenty SE, they are singing as never before. I have about five years to have them with me. Because I do really have the audio-aficionado bug, many friends who are in the same hobby, do own quite different systems, and the brings to me the opportunity to listen many different speakers and electronics.

All I can say is this: I am discovering new musician(s) that were playing along with music that I do like, but I was only listening to the main artists, and not the others, because they were masked. Not any more. I can listen every musician(s) in the recording with tons of clarity and getting their soul, getting how good are they playing the instruments. Also the voices that are at the back of the main artist...never had this quality before.

Yes, I had changed many gears in my system. Right now I am using the Exasound E-32 as my DAC. I am convinced that this unit really plays my computer music with outstanding clarity. I am listening most DSD format. I do love what I am listening. I am using the HQPlayer by Signalyst. This virtual player is very unstable, but when you have it right, I really get a lot of goosebumps along with the music. Also, when I am not really listening, just having fun with the music, I have also installed the Audirvana Plus virtual player. I do up-sampling all my PCM music to DSD. Some of you might say this is crime! But I think it does help the music to have more air, more ambiance, more real sound. As I always say, music listening is a matter of taste, like the food. Some love garlic, others hate it. I do like the spice food, but keeping the food flavor...so its the same in music. Each instruments has a distinguish tonal balance. The guitar as an example, has upper bass and from there, the mid range and highs are unique. Did you know that the first string, the thin one, at the 5th fret, the note is an A and the frequency of that A musical note is 440Hz.

I do not want to bother you with my stories, so I wish to all of you a very happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day maties, the time has come for that audition but...

This time the transducers are not Martin Logan's rather Quads, errr...

Anyway, the new Classic series has arrived, and I will be heading out to my dealer chappy's place tomorrow arvo for a dedicated, careful, full of life experience listening session with these new amps- lets see what's on!

Although, I am not interested at this point in any sort of purchase whatsoever, due to the new house being built, my priorities have been changed. Therefore, this is only going to be an audition and nothing else. No deposits whatsoever, plus the wifey has a close eye on all accounts, so I cannot do a "stealth deal" anymore... Sorry USA, UK & France, your joint strike fighter will unfortunately be banned from this mission!

Audition time takes place around 2pm and it will be the Classic 120 with EL34's. Then we will move onto the 120SE with KT120's and finally settle on the Classic 60 series 2SE. mmm, seems like a good plan on paper, wonder how this is going to turn out. One thing for sure is my reference sound will and has always been the ARTsa in triode mode with EL34's.

However, as well respected CJ enthusiasts have pointed out on this forum, there is always a learning curve with the SE series, especially the Teflon & Vishay upgrades, this makes the difference. Price is going to be a huge factor because as I had predicted, the new Classic amps start at bloody 10 grand and go up to 30 grand! Forget it, might as well just sit back and enjoy the humble CAV45...

Will report next week on my findings/learning, and whether it's worth it.
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Look forward to hearing the review. I'm interested on what your take on the 120 vs 120SE is going to be.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola...I am too very interested in your findings. I read a lot about the Teflon Capacitors, they exhibit a very stable capacitance all the time, no matter the operating temperature. Also, they need a lot of time to break in...so doing tests without the proper time, in my opinion, might give a wrong idea. Just out of the box, the sound was a little thin, making a comparison with my previous amplifier, but the next day, only some time, and the unit started to show sprinkles of what I was going to get soon...50 hours of break in, it started to show a richness in the strings as I never had before, and now I have over 200 hours...all I can say is, thank you Conrad Johnson, for a such wonderful sounding effortless and brilliant performance with my music. I can't go back...my ears are granted!

Happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Sorry fellow cj specialists,

The amplifiers have not yet arrived as hoped...
seems to be some delay in shipping / ordering, I think they are also wanting to sell off the old stock first. I was under the impression they would at least have a few demo models on site but to no avail.
So, I listened to the LP125's with the ET5, great combination by the way. Also had a good run with the ET3se and a PV15, which I also used for a while when my Act2 was in service. I must say between the pv15 and et3, the difference was very subtle. I would be happy with either of. The et5 was definitely a step up in overall refined sound.
The LP125's driving the Quads were very musical and relaxing to listen to. However, when I headed home and listened to the cav45 driving the Ethos, I didn't miss the pre - power combo one bit! The transparency, speed and dynamics were far greater on the Ethos and this was delivered with just 45 watts of tube power on the panels. Okay, I understand that the bass section is active with 200w on board but still...

I think the best possible sound obtained with a "cost no object" policy would be the Gat and Art amplifiers. However, in the real world with real world prices and budgets, family priorities and grappling with long term issues, I sincerely think if you can put together a system that delivers the highest level of satisfaction to your ears according to your finances, that's all that matters.

According to proposed shipment dates, my chappy reckons the new gear would arrive around April/May. He is also eagerly waiting for their first demo amps to arrive. I need to check on two basic aspects- 1 what can these new amps deliver, and 2 at what price.
I wouldn't be surprised if the previous versions are as good with just a tiny bit less finesse compared to the new ones...
We will report on it then, until such time enjoy your music!
Cheers, RJ