Classic 60 or 60SE or EL34 vs KT-120

From tubes to solid state.
Charles2552
Regular
Regular

Classic 60 or 60SE or EL34 vs KT-120

Post by Charles2552 »

I have the CJ Classic 2SE preamp and I am currently using a VTA ST-70 power amp. Don't get me wrong the VTA IS a great amp. It can use EL34, KT66,KT77,KT88, 6550. I'm currently using the Gold LIon KT88s and those are unbelievable tubes.

I was considering a Classic 60SE but I have never heard a KT-120 based amp. Something is telling me to go with the nonSE version and it's not financial.

I am familiar with the EL34 based amps and they have a more "mellow" sound. The KT's that I have known have the high and low end energy I seem to have become accustom too. Some have a little TOO much energy like the KT66 I tried.

Would the SE be too bright and clinical. I do like a "tad" of mellow that maybe a GREAT !! EL34 based amp can provide. Like a Marantz 8b - detail yet smooth.

Any thoughts ?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Classic 60 or 60SE or EL34 vs KT-120

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Charles, yes I can certainly comment on these amplifiers. I have owned quite a number of cj gear over the decades, including the MV60/SE, Classic 60/SE and now the CAV45 (with EL34's).

Although I enjoyed the Classic 60SE with my ACT2 very much for endless hours on my Quads, I did notice quite a fuller sound, that was expansive and quite powerful. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad sound but rather notes were heavier, excellent bass and extended airy highs and superb depth in soundstage. A similar experience was encountered with the MV60SE using KT120's, replacing the 6550's, with far greater bass extension.

When I finally took delivery of the CAV45, everything sort of fell into place REAL nice! The bass was tight and very well defined. All bass lines could be heard from every bass note and subtle nuances revealed. The highs were very smooth and most of all that midrange on the EL34- simply the best!
The soundstage through Quads was quite spectacular but with EL34's it was even more revealing with spatial cues, soundstage ambience and superb clarity with 3-D imaging that I had not experienced before on my Quads. In summary, the resolution was far greater than the KT120's.

This also reminded me of the good old days with the Premier 11A, which I later converted to the "XS" version using EL34's and halving the output from 70w/ch to 35watts, simply musical! Similarly, I also tried the ARTSA with EL34's in triode mode, delivering only 70w/ch rather than 140, and it was just superb! Hopefully, one of my next purchases when finances permit...

From that point right away, I sold off my ACT2 and Classic 60SE, and went down the simple route, by eliminating the preamp altogther with the CAV45. I also got rid of my Quads (phew!) and went in for Martin Logan instead. I must say that the CAV45 and Martin Logan's are a match made in heaven!
Though I'd just share that with you for what it's worth...

Having said that, I would highly recommend the Classic 60 with EL34's and not the SE version BUT that's only my preference. I would highly recommend that you audition both amps (preferably on similar systems) before deciding. Also the EL34's take a while to get going and they run fairly hot. Once they have settled in nicely and take full control of your speaker's load, they do work their magic, and as you probably know, once they get going, it is really hard to turn off the system...

Cheers mate and enjoy those EL34's! BTW, what speakers are you using mate?
RJ