What are your favorite tubes for the MV60/60SE?

From tubes to solid state.
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

What are your favorite tubes for the MV60/60SE?

Post by TONEPUB »

I just got my hands on a really clean MV60SE, one of my all time favorite CJ amps!

What are you guys using for the 6SN7 and 12AX7 that you really like? Anything good that isn't crazy money?

Thanks!
Publisher, TONEAudio Magazine
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: What are your favorite tubes for the MV60/60SE?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

The EH were the best in my opinion, very reliable and easy to obtain from CJ or other vendors.
When I had the MV60SE, I always ordered from CJ directly, and they sent me matched pairs that were tested, burned in and approved good to go.

The Classic 60SE uses one 6922 and smaller tubes for phase splitter similar to what the GAT uses as their input stage. I found the Mullards to be great sounding, especially on subtle shadings and fine detailed nuances, which is superb on the CAV45.

To sum it up, I would first go with EH (Eletro Harmonix) because they're readily available and if you want something special without too much spending, the Mullards are superb.
Cheers, RJ
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

I don't have a Classic 60 though. The EH tubes are really kind of no big deal, as are the new Mullards. Not bad, but not great. I was hoping someone had a favorite 6SN7 or 12AX7 that really added something to the presentation here over the stock issued tubes. Not always, but usually, a great vintage NOS tube will last a bit longer than the Chinese tubes too. Some of the old RCA and Sylvania 6SN7s were very robust tubes.

Also curious for those who have rolled tubes in this amp, what made a bigger difference in the sound quality, the 6SN7 or the 12AX7? Or are they about the same?
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That's also a hard question to answer; it's like asking which sports car you fancy- Ferrari or Bugati Veyron. Both are equally great, I guess it's upto personal preference. Usually when I come across such questions, for a beginner or someone who is trying out tubes for the first time, it's good to go with stock brands to be safe, plus the reliability factor in my experience has been more favourable. I know many who have ventured into NOS and expensive fancy stuff that didn't quite perform upto par as claimed, so why bother?

I can see that you are fairly well versed with your tube gear, and looking for exotic brands that people may have used. I didn't keep my MV60SE for too long to try out such tubes to that effect. I am sure the NOS tubes that you are talking about are quite good, trust they deliver what you're after.

If you state that the EH tubes are no big deal, and the new Mullards are not bad & not great- then why do CJ amplifiers sound so fantastic?

Have a good one, RJ
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

Well, you obviously haven't heard one with better tubes. Of course they sound just fine out of the box, and they have to go with hand picked samples of what is commercially available and voice accordingly. As does ARC, McIntosh, BAT and the others. If you talk to the people who actually make the gear, they all lament the days of better tubes. It's pretty much a given. The tubes from the golden age did last much longer too.

Comparing a Ferrari to a Veyron is a pretty weak comparison. Most Ferraris are in the 250k range and the Veyron's go for about 2M these days if you can get one. This is more like comparing a baseline BMW328i to an M3/M4. The tubes don't make all the diff in the world, but if you buy a good set or two, you will be surprised at how much more music is revealed. I'd hardly call RCA or Sylvania "Exotic brands".
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Okay points noted. Thanks, something I learned there.

No, I haven't heard exotic tubes in my own system but I have auditioned other tube amplification such as Sonic Frontiers, ARC and BAT with so called exotic tubes in them done by the dealers for demo- hoping that I may buy it off them... but to no validity. I just preferred what CJ provided in their stock other than when I did the change of KT120's from the standard 6550's on my MV60SE.

Over here it is very hard to get hold of the ones you're referring to. I know which ones, and most of them are only available on-line. I personally wouldn't pay for anyting over $50 dollars and wait for shipping to arrive, not knowing what's going to show up.

Speaking of Ferrari's, there are classic models that go for over 2m. One of my previous workplaces, we shared a two story building with a Ferrari service centre called Monarello. They had a classic model in pure silver going for 2.5 M. That was one awesome looking piece of motorised machinery I have ever seen. I sat in it just to feel the wheel and touch the gear for mankind, what a cool feeling it was!

Even if I had that kind of money, whether Veyron or Ferrari, forget it! I just prefer my Honda CRV, it's simply the best!

Speaking of tube brands and superior sound- do you have any recommendations for the 6922? and the 5965?
The CAV45 uses one 6922 and a pair of 5965's. I've come across some fancy EL34's, any suggestions on these better brands that would give a "significant" improvement?

Would be an interesting learning experience obviously with careful thought and tread.
Cheers, RJ
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

I can see that your the alpha on this forum, and why I've not bothered being on any of these things in years. I'll respectively bow out now. It was fun being here for five minutes. You remind me of a guy on the Steve Hoffman forum that knew everything too.
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I only asked your thoughts of any recommendations regarding these reference quality tubes. It does seem to have made a difference to your experience.

I don't think it is necessary to get flustered.
Like I said, sorry if I have offended you in anyway, that was certainly not my intention.

When it comes to CJ gear and this audio stuff, I'm like a kid, I get all very excited, especially from those having used gear similar to what I had in the past (Quads, MV60...) Being dominant is NOT my character. If you think I am too full on, then by all means I will certainly back off.

Thank you for pointing that out, I was not aware that I may be viewed like that. I will certainly work on this.
Take it easy Tonepub, no harm intended.

Cheers mate, RJ