My New Classic 120SE

From tubes to solid state.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

My New Classic 120SE

Post by jahatl513 »

Hi All, I just wanted to go to the rooftop and shout out that I have this night fired up a new Classic 120SE and it is paired with a new ET-7. I'm about 2 hours into it and I should still be holding my breath. First impressions have nothing to do with the fact it is as quiet as a church mouse, no hum coming from anything like my Premier 140c1 or 350SE, it's just music and the absence of music. I was sitting here reading and I can already hear where this amp is headed as it takes much time to break in so my impression will continue to evolve, however if you've experienced it, the low volume gives up those subtle effervescence of what is to come. Until then, I'll continue to read and listen to music and be surprised as my subconscious tells me that the jazz I'm hearing is live, that cymbal hit was real.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My New Classic 120SE

Post by admin »

Very nice. Keep us informed as you get more hours on the device.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations!

What a wonderful combo. Looking forward to reading more about your system.
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

Yes, congratulations!! Very interested to hear any further specific listening impressions of the 120SE. I'm close to a final decision on this being my next audio purchase as well (as replacement for both my mv-55 and PV-11 that for years I've rotated btwn depending on type of music).
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Jonathan,

Congratulations. Did you have the chance to listen more this amp? Usually, our ears are accustomed to a particular and specific quality sound. Tell us more...
Thanks!
Roberto.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Congratulation on your new amp ,
Did you have a chance to hear the Classic 120 version with EL34 tubes? I am curious on any impressions on this version.

Tim
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Timo62,
I did, and the sound is fantastic too. The 6CA7/EL34 is a very warm sound. If you like this type of warmth, it is the right amp for you. I chose the KT-120s because their midrange, to my ears, are crystal clear and having the right harmonic texture. I do believe it is a matter of liking. You can not go wrong with the EL34s if that is your liking. Go for it. You won´t regret it!
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

Thanks for that feedback Roberto.

I'm thinking that the 120SE (with its upgraded parts) swapped 'back' to EL34's (gold lion KT77 actually as I use in my MV55) may be the ultimate version of this amp - for those of us looking for all the 'tube magic' of the MV55 with more slam, control, and possibly just a bit more openness. Any info/insight on this path would be greatly appreciated.
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. You said it! You can´t go wrong with this superb amp. New quality parts is the clue. The philosophy of the design is almost the same...there are new paths in the signal process (smaller). I do like a lot what I am listening. And also, it looks that I am not the only one that its reporting the same thing. Stage, harmonic texture, right size of the instruments with huge air between them, the feeling of the musician(s)... we are getting just pure music. As CJ says: Conrad Johnson sounds right!
Happy listening!
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

Hello, I have to count up the hours now; somewhere between 150-230 hours on the CJ 120se and it just recently in the past 3 weeks opened up to me and is "Showing me the love" that I want to hear; that I've been starved to hear; depth, dimension, presence timber...its starting to show and I'm getting pleased.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very nice one indeed mate, especially that ET7!
It is a remarkable preamp one that can very easily match up to the GAT, in my opinion.

The SE version on your Classic 120 as everyone has pointed, will take quite a while to fully blossom. You will hear the difference and all of a sudden, couple hours into the music, it will just open up like no other! It is a phenomenal experience to experience! Bit difficult to express in words but when it happens you will know how it takes the performance to another level...

The Teflon caps and Vishay resistors plus high grade metal foil or computer grade film caps, plus all those other goodies CJ utilizes in the SE upgrade circuit in order to achieve a level of refinement and finesse, does take a while.

In fact on many occasions with the personal experience I've had owning several SE version amps, I've noticed the full potential is only realised around 3-4 months, and sometimes a good half a year!

What you are hearing now, will be very different to what you will experience in Nov... It will amaze you no doubt.

Also, one more thing, get ready to put on a few kilos because once the music starts you will not be able to simply shut down and get off the couch... You will be transfixed to the music for quite a number of hours...

Having a top line system in place along with CJ amplification, really takes a toll on time management, especially when having to manage work/family/ household /health/ not to mention wealth... And whenever you want to listen at length something nearly always interrupts! You can never get enough of that glorious sound and it only gets better as the tunes continue...

I guess an early retirement plan would be very beneficial.
Cheers mate and look after those amplifiers, they are truly worth more than you think.
RJ
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

roberto wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:30 pm Hola Timo62,
I did, and the sound is fantastic too. The 6CA7/EL34 is a very warm sound. If you like this type of warmth, it is the right amp for you. I chose the KT-120s because their midrange, to my ears, are crystal clear and having the right harmonic texture. I do believe it is a matter of liking. You can not go wrong with the EL34s if that is your liking. Go for it. You won´t regret it!
Happy listening!
Thanks for the reply Roberto. Yes , I prefer the sound of the EL34 tubes. They sound sweeter to me , so that is why i was wondering about the Classic 120 version. Thanks, Tim
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

This message is for Timo62,

From Roberto's last response to you in Re. To the Classic 120 fitted with EL34's, just checking whether you finally decided on that amp and did you manage to go for one?
I've listened to this amp and it is simply marvelous with the EL34's. It had a superb outstanding mid-range like no other and you just melt in your listening seat... It also has plenty of headroom since it delivers a fairly high amount of power and seems to go full throttle with no strain...

It brings back the most wonderful memories of the CAV45 and that mid-range sweatness, smooth palpable and highly addictive!

The KT120 is equally good and adds more body and weight to the tone, both have excellent depth and resolution that CJ is known for. Therefore, as Roberto confirmed, you really can't go wrong with either of these designs, it's basically a matter of personal preference.

Let us know how it all goes...
Cheers mate, RJ
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

RJ,

Hopefully Timo62 will confirm his purchase decision is a go, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the very specific insight and impressions you've provided here...And I do have a question if you don't mind:

Presuming that the Classic 120 with EL34's that you listened to was the standard version (non SE, without teflon caps), and the KT120 version you heard was the SE version, do you have any impression of the impact of the SE components distinct from the differing tube characteristics? As alluded to earlier in this thread, I'm thinking that a Classic 120SE retrofitted back for EL34 use could fit the bill as my last amp purchase.

AJ
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hi there aj,
Ah! Indeed mate, in fact the last one I listened to of the classic 120se fitted with EL34's was superb!

However, I must mention the speakers were Martin Logan's Ren15a, and it had plenty of drive & grip. This is the version that I was actually very very keen on but didn't want to fork out that kind of spend, especially with our new house in the making, plus keeping some extra funds for the ML CLX's...

Hence, when I set up the deal with my previous classic 60se with an upgrade/ trade-in for the LP125m's, I decided this would be my final amplifier (more or less) to match well with the CLX's.

If not for this special offer from my CJ dealer buddy, then I would have certainly settled for the classic 120se EL34.
The only other thing is that with the SE upgrade, there is also something sort of extra special that this amp does with those KT120's. It's definitely a fuller sound, more body and depth, that added weight that is more apparent on electrostats rather than dynamic driver types I would think...

At the same time though, those EL34's are just magical! The mid-range, specially vocals and strings, are superb, it sort of has an uncanny palpable affect on the listener. Then again the KT120's on mids-highs is equally superb, especially on piano that added weight helps with a good solid tone coming from stats.

I guess it's a very personal thing at the end of the day. There have been great things said about the KT150, having those special attributes of both the EL34 magic & KT120's special features on bass control. I've listened to a few amps with KT150's but was not overly excited...

There obviously wouldn't be a way for you to try this out first but one thing for sure is if you're really after that sweet tonality, remarkable resolution and extraordinary soundstage, the EL34 version delivers!

It reminds me of my very first experience with CJ & Quads. Prem 11a fitted with EL34's driving a pair of ESL 63's placed on top of Gradient subs, with a specially modified crossover, that overall sound is still hard to match. Does it have flaws? Of course! But the musicality factor was one of the highest I have ever experienced to date. Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers, RJ
ajf75
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ajf75 »

Thank you RJ, so you actually listened to the SE version with the EL34's - thats a surprise since as far as I know this exists as a special order only, or by having the bias circuit mod done after purchase.

I haven't owned electrostatic speakers, but have heard a few, so I do understand your insightful comments and agree the weightiness balance would be different for dynamic drivers. Seems probable I'll find a KT120 equipped 120SE then listen for a while before converting for EL34 use. Ultimately can't imagine not making that swap because of that EL34 magic that, for me, conveys more emotion and intimacy to many types of music (I've given up caring about why this is the case).

AJ
AJ________________
CT5 Pre
ARTsa Amplifier
P11A Amplifier
MV-55 Amplifier
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes AJ, that's a definite confirm!
In fact you're very correct in reference to CJ making this a special order. Very similar to when CJ offered their premier series amplifiers in "XS" mode, from the Prem 11a to the mighty Prem 8 monoblocks. This is going back few decades... And by doing this, the overall power was halved in actual output but my golly was it a glorious sound!

Now the good news is that their latest amplification can be custom fitted in any way you desire, without having to sacrifice on output power. So in this case you will be getting the full throttle of pure 120w/ch at your disposal backed by EL34 magic!

Another amp that really captured my full attention with EL34's was the ARTsa, that was another very special and absolute wonderful sound. Either of these combinations would be all an amplifier could be.

Cheers mate, and all the very best in your quest. Please do keep in touch and let us know how it all goes.
RJ
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

RJ ,

I did purchase the Classic 120 amp and it is currently being shipped . I bought it for a birthday gift for myself. Thanks for asking!
I was going to wait and buy there Classic120 at a later time because I just recently bought a pair of Harbeth M40.2 speakers and also upgraded all of my cables. Conrad Johnson will be having a price increase as of July, 1st. I was going to buy the Classic 120 at some point , so I figured I would get it now and save some money and beat the price increase.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the purchasing the Classic 120. Let us know how they sound with the Harbeth M40.2's.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Thank You!
I will let everyone know how the Classic 120 sounds with my Harbeths once it arrives!