CJ Premier 350 and 350SA

From tubes to solid state.
Saab77
Regular
Regular

Re: CJ Premier 350 and 350SA

Post by Saab77 »

Its nice to hear others are enjoying the setup despite this small problem with gain .

I use an Auralic Aries streamer going to the Auralic Vega Dac(via USB ). Dac to ET5 , ET5 to prem350 (via RCA) . It drives a pair of Focal Scala Utopia V2s- very well .

The sound is detailed, a bit warm . The sense of rhythm and timing and overall upbeat nature of this amp amazes me. I keep swapping back and forth from the ET250s - which I'm reluctant to sell , because I love the more 3D/ holographic presentation and slightly more body in vocals from this amp. However, it doesn't have enough power to bring out the dynamics and details with these speakers ( the prem 350 excels there ).

I set the Auralic Vega to 85 (instead of 100 ) as that outputs 2v , instead of 4V ( at 100). Any lower , I'm worried may affect SQ.
I tried Rothwell 10db attenuator plugs over the weekend between ET5 and Prem 350 . I guess it does what it is supposed to - I have extra 15 steps that I can go up in the ET5 now. However, I worry that I might compromise SQ ( although it probably doesn't if I tested blind ) . So I find myself removing them and just sitting back and enjoying the system LOUD - even at 10 or 12 volume on ET5 !
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Saab,
The Gain is also very loud on my ET5 Premier 350SA and is audible at 1 and loud at 25 however I'm fine with that as I can't detect it overloading the input and sounds fine otherwise. I too looked at the rothwell's but decided against them as most reviews said they soften dynamics and roll off the top end. I think that the volume/loudness issue doesn't matter for me so much, once I get used to using the amps at this lower setting.
Saab77
Regular
Regular

Post by Saab77 »

Thank you Jonty , for your feedback on the attenuator option .

It is a wonderful combination - to my ears - the ET5 + Prem 350 .
However, lots of people seemed to adore the older ACT 2 with the Prem 350 . Having never heard the former, I wonder how that may sound. Would love to hear if anyone has 1st had experience with this.

Otherwise, might wait for the day I can pick up an old ACT 2 and try it out for myself and see.
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Hi Sabb,
My ET5 is Now sounding the best I’ve ever heard it with it breaking in nicely, 340 hours on the clock, as Regards the act 2 if it’s just about inquisition to how your combination may sound with that pre amp, I would want to try it in your own System first, so you’ll know if it’s what you want before committing.
Also try to read reviews on the Gat as I’ve heard people say that the ET5 is very close with some people finding it hard to tell the difference, often synergy is more important than equipment in isolation and can become the defining moment. A lot of people fall into the trap of buying something because it sounds different and interpreting that as better, and then realising that
they actually preferred their system as it used to be before the so called upgrade...!!
Jonty.
Saab77
Regular
Regular

Post by Saab77 »

You make a very wise point about the upgraditis bug , which may be a fruitless endeavor .

Should resist this affliction of sorts . :roll: May try and just enjoy the music instead .
JONTY
Pro
Pro

Post by JONTY »

Exactly, if the opportunity ever arises for an Act2 and it’s a great price and it’s in mint condition and you can live with it for a couple of week in your own system before committing then who knows....!! I’ve always felt the best way to go about it is what is this going to tell me about my own pre amp, and many a time if you listen objectively they just sound different.
music first always... happy listening.
Jonathan.