Any one thinking about a GAT Series 2 preamp?

The PV-1 to now...
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Any one thinking about a GAT Series 2 preamp?

Post by joeinid »

Last edited by joeinid on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any one thinking about a GAT Series 2 preamp?

Post by admin »

I think "dreaming" would be a more appropriate term.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Ha!

I stand corrected. All reports are great so far. Darn it.

admin wrote:I think "dreaming" would be a more appropriate term.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Joe,
Trust all is well at your end of the woods.
Speaking of woods, took the family out to the Alpine regions yesterday (long weekend) to the snow covered caps. Although there was nothing much of snow compared to good old Chicago or NY, it was definitely something different and a good 3hr drive from Melbourne.

The GATS2- definitely a worthy contender in the ultra-highend. I reckon it can compete with the best out there, and probably is one of the best preamps I have had the absolute pleasure of experiencing with the ARTsa driving stats. Everything was superb, I couldn't find any flaws whatsoever, just enjoyed the music in its true essence.

The only thing I could whinge about I guess, is the extra spend in upgrades to the Series 2. Although the standard GAT is no affordable unit by the masses, having to cough out another 10 grand in Aussie dollars just for upgrades, places the GATS2 at nearly 30 grand just for a preamp!
Being a family man, plus already having an ACT2, I don't feel the extra spend is justified to that price point.

I guess, at the end of the day this is what you pay for- if you can afford it and think is it justifiable- according to your priorities, then perhaps go for it!
Actually speaking, for myself, I would be happy with any cj pre-power combination for that matter, cj is and has always been "faithful" to the music.
There are plenty of gear out there who will trounce cj in other aspects, such as bass and overall slam but at the end of the day, cj hasn't earned its badge of "just sounds right" for nothing... it does actually just sound right, and only us cj fans would understand that.

Hey Joe, after you got me excited about their new CAV45, I have decided to go for one! I am using a 300B integrated at the moment, which is just 8w SE. Therefore, a triode version of EL34's pushing 45w/ch will be plenty of musicality for me. This reminds me of that glorious Premier 11A in triode mode with just 35 w/ch. The triode version had far more depth and superb soundstage on stats. It was something I was missing a great deal of since having the Premier 11A. The LP125 monoblocks came & went, the MV60SE came & went, the Classic 60SE (really loved that one) also came & went... Now, I can clearly see the stats midrange and superb dimensional ques will be achieved from triodes, hence the EL34 is all that kind of tube, and cj knows it!

When using the 6550's and KT120's, I was experiencing better dynamics and much louder presence, greater impact, far better bass and all those goodies... however, I did notice a major diminishing factor in that special type of cj musicality, and that was the EL34. It is a kind of golden glow, caramel super sweet sound of triodes that captures all those nuances. The KT120's were sounding more like SS amps, plenty of oomph and power but to me lacked the overall musical presence when comparing an EL34 to a KT120 side by side. This is perhaps why I was so taken up by the ARTSA in triode mode with EL34's, plus GATS2 and Quad stats- wow! now that was something "real special."

I think the CAV45 is a good start to venture back into tridoes to those looking for simpler systems that include the pre-power all in one component.
The GATS2 is simply stunning but remember you also have to accompany it with the top-of-the-line gear. Then it's complete, there really is no point in paring a GATS2 with a Classic 60 or LP series, I don't think the chain of top-quality would be complete unless there was a ART series amplifier in there. Perhaps some of the older premier series amps may be a good match, such as the Premier 11A, Premier 12's / Prem 8's or Prem 140 may be a good match with the GATS2, I wouldn't know...

I can only see the GATS2 and ART amps only affordable to a just a handful of people, the rest can simply sit back and enjoy their music knowing that they are listening to their favourite through cj gear.
Cheers to cj! I'll let you know how the CAV45 goes once I have it.
Take it easy mate, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Great to see you here RJ.

I'm also hot for the CAV45.

I'm having trouble justifying the GAT S2. Sure I want it, but I don't see it happening, at least not now.
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

I'm using my GATS2 with factory upgraded Premier 8's to grand effect! Right now I've got Maggie 3.7i's/Mye stands in the system and these speakers clearly reveal whats going on upstream. The improvement in the GATS2 over the original GAT was profound. Much more transparency, detail, and a more believable and natural soundstage, all while keeping the gorgeous tonality of CJ gear. Although expensive at about 25% of the original cost of the GAT, I felt like I got more than a 25% improvement in the sound. Glad I took the plunge.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations Jasper, so happy to read you're loving the upgrade. So far, no negative words at all on the GAT series 2. Looks like CJ hit it out of the park again.
Rafaelmuente
Regular
Regular

Post by Rafaelmuente »

I am a lucky guy who got started in the c-j world by buying a combo consisting of the ART monoblocks, an ET5 preamp and a TEA2 MAX phono stage. After about some 5 glorious years of happy listening, I have been able to upgrade to a GATs2 some months ago and finally to a TEA1s2, which I installed just last night. I’m as happy as a lark! My speakers are the 3.7i Maggies (with Mye stands) and my analogue front is based on a VPI Aries 3D while the digital set up relies on a McCormack UDP-1 c-j edition. Cables by Audioquest and Verastarr.
As I have experienced the evolution from an ET5 to a major high end contender as the GAT s2, I’d say “Go for it if you can afford it”. Although the ET5 is a gorgeous preamp, the GAT is in a different league. The level of detail, musicality and the incredible soundstage will absolutely captivate you. It’s so naturally filled with detail and coherence that all of a sudden you get transported into the real stage. Absolutely wonderful.
Last night I brought the TEA1s2 home. After a final farewell listening and deinstallation of the TEA2 MAX and replacing it by the TEA1s2 I decided to give it a first quick listen. I couldn’t stop until 4 AM!!!. Although The TEA1 will need several more hours of use to unveil all its goodies, it immediatelly made a clear statement of its lineage. It’s clearly the GAT’s counterpart as a phono stage, showing a perfect natural warmth paired with an extraordinary level of detail. Notes came out of absolute silence and travelled clearly and seamlessly to open up the soundstage even in a deeper and bigger way. I was shocked and could have stayed until even later if not for my saturday duties.
If anyone is interested, I can post my impressions on the evolution of the TEA1 as hours of listening sessions keep on rolling.
I’ll post some photos too, if you like.
Last edited by Rafaelmuente on Sat May 12, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafaelmuente
Regular
Regular

Post by Rafaelmuente »

Finally, I got my GAT S2 set up and running (replacing an C-J ET5). Amazing tonality out of the box. Still missing the soundstage I was able to obtain though, but it must surely be a matter of breaking in time. Does anybody have any experience in the breaking in period for the GAT or GAT S2?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Although not specific for the GAT, from personal experience I find that around 40 hours is where most tubes start settling in.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

Rafaelmuente wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 pm Finally, I got my GAT S2 set up and running (replacing an C-J ET5). Amazing tonality out of the box. Still missing the soundstage I was able to obtain though, but it must surely be a matter of breaking in time. Does anybody have any experience in the breaking in period for the GAT or GAT S2?
After 100 hours there is a noticeable performance bump as those Teflon caps break-in and the soundstage expands. After approx. 300 hours, maximum performance is reached.

I've had my GAT Series 2 for 10 months now and twinned with my Premier 350SA (purchased new in 2004) the sound is sublime!
CJ GAT2/Premier 350SA, dCS Vivaldi full stack, TAD CR1 MKII, Melco NIZH/60/2, TW Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L, Whest PS.30 RDT 'SE' phono stage, MIT Oracle MAX/MA cabling, DAAD room tuning, Stillponts racks, balanced PSU.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

Sitting pretty in one of my Stillpoints ESS racks!

CJ GAT2/Premier 350SA, dCS Vivaldi full stack, TAD CR1 MKII, Melco NIZH/60/2, TW Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L, Whest PS.30 RDT 'SE' phono stage, MIT Oracle MAX/MA cabling, DAAD room tuning, Stillponts racks, balanced PSU.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Beautiful setup! Looks incredible. Can you give us a list of the other equipment?
-admin
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

admin wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:16 am Beautiful setup! Looks incredible. Can you give us a list of the other equipment?
Thank you for your kind words. It's been a labour of love over many years!

The CJ Premier 350SA power amp is the oldest component in my hi fi system, having purchased it new in 2004 from the official UK importer. I always imagined that I would partner it with a CJ preamp, but it took me until 2016, to acquire a new GAT Series 2 from Audiofreaks (UK CJ importer). The intervening years were filled with a Karan Reference preamp MKII, but the GAT 2 was the preamp which the Premier 350SA was always destined to be paired with! The rest of my system consists of:-

dCS Vivaldi 2.0 CD/SACD Transport, DAC, Master Word Clock and Upsampler Plus digital front end.

TW Acoustics Raven One turntable, Graham Phantom II arm, Transfiguration Orpheus L mc cartridge, Whest PS.30 RDT phono stage.

Melco N1A Digital Music Library (digital file streamer).

Conrad Johnson GAT Series 2 preamp.

Conrad Johnson Premier 350SA power amp.

TAD CR-1 MKII speaker system (+ Stillpoints Ultra 5's under stands.)

REL Gibraltar 2 subwoofer (+ Stillpoints Ultra SS X 4)

Stillpoints ESS equipment racks with grid system and Ultra SS footers X 4 under each component.

Stillpoints Component racks under power amp (+ 4 X Ultra 6 feet) and Vertex Alethiea PSU2 balanced power supply (+ 4 X Ultra 5 feet).

Interconnects are MIT Oracle MA-X (analogue & digital). Speaker cables are MIT Magnum MA.

Power cables are Vertex Hi-Rez Roraima & Tellurium Q Ultra Silver.

Acustica Applicata DAAD room tuning.

I'll post some more photos in due course.
Coppy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Coppy »

I own and love the GAT series 1 now and plan to upgrade to the series 2 later this year. I would make one correction to Big Dog RJ's fine post. The LP series was the Premier amplifier series from c-j in the period before the ART power amplifiers were introduced. Best circuits, full teflon, etc. My LP140s are certainly the proper mates for GAT. Also have the Premier 350SA and enjoy it with the GAT as well. Speaking of the LP140s, just re-tubed from the KT120s to GL KT88s on advice from Jeff Fischel at c-j. An excellent tube in these monos.
Coppy

ART88 PRE, TEA1bc, ART27a AMP, Wilson Yvette, Rega Planar 10, B&W DB-D subs,
Wireworld Platimum ICs and SC, dCS Bartok, Shunyata Denali 2
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

Coppy, I also prefer the GL kt88 to the KT120. Another option is the Mullard kt88 which is virtually identical to the Gold Lion at a lower price. Every report i read said they are virtually identical which I confirmed myself.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
givin2u
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by givin2u »

Hello to everyone I would first like to say I just joined and I am pleased to see there is CJ lovers to this extent. I currently own a et5 and just ordered Gats2. Not sure how it will sound but if its better than the et5 I will be in audio heaven cause the et5 sounds outstanding. I guess I will be selling my et5. Thanks for reading.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

I had an ET5 and loved it! I had an opportunity to get a GAT (V1) a few years back..and now it's been updated to GAT V2.
The bad news is that I'll never, ever part with the GAT.

I can't imagine anyone enjoying an ET5 won't love moving up to the GAT.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
kw6
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by kw6 »

There is a used Gat for sale around $9k is it better than the new ET 7 S2?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola KW6,

Yes, the GAT is the top of the line of Conrad Johnson preamplifiers. Do you know from where it is coming? That's less than the distributor price, and below the cost of Conrad Johnson factory too. That is a hell of a price for the GAT!

With much respect, I would be suspicious because it is very difficult to find such kind of product at almost one third of the US retail price. Can you find the source and the reason why it is so low price? Find out if the unit is working properly with no issues. You might got a jackpot there.

The current model is the GAT V2. There is a difference with a more organic sound and more Conrad Johnson magic. Still, the GAT is a superb preamplifier.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.