Moved to the suburbs, Ideas?

The PV-1 to now...
geinhorn
Regular
Regular

Moved to the suburbs, Ideas?

Post by geinhorn »

Hello everybody. I just learned about this web site. Wished I found it years ago. I have a PV-15 pre-amp, MF-2250, along with a CR pre-amp for my turn table. We just recently moved to the suburbs and I was looking for suggestions how best to connect a second set of speakers to the stereo. It would be for a set of outdoor speakers and I am not concerned with the degradation of sound quality outside. I was hoping to figure something out without adding too many more components. Don't have much space to play. Thanks for your help. Until now I have never tried to use my CJ stereo for anything more than what it was intended, but would love to try to channel that music in my backyard if possible.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moved to the suburbs, Ideas?

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, it's great to have you with us. If you are not looking for audiophile quality sound outside, I've seen some pretty good wireless outdoor speaker options. Running wires through an exterior wall can be tricky and expensive if hiring a contractor.

The inside equipment can be used for serious listening and switched to a cheap wireless transmitter for the outdoor speakers. Just a suggestion.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
geinhorn
Regular
Regular

Post by geinhorn »

Thanks for the reply and assistance. I actually already have speaker wire in place that dead ends at the stereo. What would you suggest as the best way to connect the second set to my stereo? Is there a way to have an A/B without degrading the sound indoors?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the wiring is already done then a simple A/B switch at the speaker wire would be the best bet. A good switch should not have a bad effect on the sound.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
geinhorn
Regular
Regular

Post by geinhorn »

thank you
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

I speaker switch is a good idea.

Another idea. If the PV15 has two pairs of Pre-outs, you could obtain a second amplifier (power amp or integrated amp) and connect it to the second pre-outs on the PV15 and to the outdoor speakers. Then when you want to listen to your system indoors, you power up the MF-2250. When you want to listen outdoors, you power up the second amp. I would expect that quite compact amplifiers are available that may be suitable.

An example compact amplifier, though I have never used this model http://www.crutchfield.com/p_543D250LS/ ... 250LS.html

Anthony
geinhorn
Regular
Regular

Post by geinhorn »

Thanks Anthony. I appreciate it. That is the direction I think that I am taking this.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate,
If I'm correct, I don't think the pv15 has two sets of pre outs. I can't quite remember even if the ET3se had two pre-outs. I do know the ACT2 and ET5, and other premier series do usually have two line outs. If that's the case, as suggested you may have to use a switch. This will definitely drop the overall finesse of that special cj sound but not to a large extent though.
I guess it depends on how "your" ears finds it. If after switching you really don't find that much of a difference then great! If you do, perhaps upgrading to better quality power cords, cabling and interconnects may also help for the primary system. Use a basic set of cables for the second system then you will have a pristine primary sound overall. In this case the switching wouldn't be a big deal.
I currently know someone who does have this config for three systems and it has worked pretty well. All sorts of gear is connected to the preamp and it does not drop in quality in the primary system. The preamp is however a CT5, so the quality is right up there in any case.
Cheers and have a good one, let us know how it goes.
RJ
geinhorn
Regular
Regular

Post by geinhorn »

Thanks for the comments. I plan on tackling this during the upcoming weekend. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks all again.
geinhorn
Regular
Regular

Post by geinhorn »

Thanks all very much for taking the time to help. Whether the change in sound was real or perceived. I just couldn’t add the switch. I dug out an old onkyo receiver and cd changer and a found a corner to use them for the outdoor speakers. Have a great week.