Premier 2 Blue Book Value

The PV-1 to now...
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Premier 2 Blue Book Value

Post by AudioDIY »

I got a Premier 2 needs fixing, one channel faded out after using it for 30 minutes. I have put in all new tubes and the problem still persist. Can some one tell me the blue book value such that I can make an informative decision regarding how much money I would spend on fixing it. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premier 2 Blue Book Value

Post by admin »

I think this would depend on how you want to go about fixing it.

Method/Chance of Success/Price
Send it into CJ for repair/High/$$$
Local electronics/audio shop/Med/$$
DIY/Med-low (depending on your skill)/$

We do have the schematic in our database which obviously would be very helpful in trying to find out where the problem is and finding the faulty component. How good are you with a soldering iron and a multimeter?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

I've no problem fixing my self since I've built several tube and solid state amp in 80s and was a hi-fi technician while I was in college. CJ quoted me $1500 to upgrade just the power supply section, but I want to replace all aging electrolytic capacitors and purchase the parts from CJ which may cost me $400-$800.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you feel fairly confident that you can replace the parts that may be malfunctioning for a fraction of the cost of sending the unit in,... that would definitely be a pretty good option.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camoz
Regular
Regular

Post by camoz »

Hello.
I write on this thread because I also own a Premier 2 which presented some problems just taken.
I had a problem on the left channel of the phono stage (no audio), caused by a bad contact on a tube socket (V3).
The diode bridge that feeds the tube filaments had been replaced (the original was broken).
I also had several problems caused by boring false contacts on RCA connectors of the inputs and outputs.
In essence, the interventions that have been made are:
Replacement of all electrolytic (less or more they were all dead).
Replacement of the tube sockets of the phono section (maybe even those will replace the line)
replacement of RCA connectors leaving only the phono, line, and one output.
Bypass the balance potentiometer.
replacement of antivibrating support of pcb board (the originals were completely crushed).
After these "necessary mods" the machine seems to be reborn and plays in a truly excellent way.
I never expected he could do such a big leap ...
Currently I use it only as a phono preamp in my system (for the line, i have a Premier 17) and despite i still have not did a good tuning (headshell, phono cable, load capacity etc. etc.) it is already magic!
Here some photos of the phono stage with new sockets.
Probably my english have some mistake... Sorry for it! :D

Ciao!
DSCN1202.JPG
DSCN1202.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 677 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

camoz,
Very nice work. Looks great.
-admin
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

Camoz, nice work. Would you mind let me know where did you buy those capacitors and what kind? Thanks.
camoz
Regular
Regular

Post by camoz »

Hello.
I replaced the original capacitor (60 uF each), as all six were virtually dead! (As well as the other electrolytics placed on the line section side of the board).
The only capacitor that seemed to still be ok, was the Sprague atom 150uF, but I decided anyway to replace it with a modern production vishay Sprague atom tva serie.
The new capacitors that you see in the picture are the SCR MKP PPE series.
The capacitance is 47uF, 630V each.
Were put 47uF, because the next step capacitor is 68uF and they would not have space to be installed.
I bought them on ebay.
I hope to be proved helpful.
If you can think of something else about this fantastic machine ... please ask! I would be very happy to share the experiences of other holders of the premier 2

Ciao!
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

Camoz, the information is very helpful. Thanks.