CJ Premier 10 Balance Control

The PV-1 to now...
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

CJ Premier 10 Balance Control

Post by AudioDIY »

My Premier 10 balance control seems not working, however the sound is still stereo. Is this normal? It seems like someone by pass the balance control. Thanks for your help.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ Premier 10 Balance Control

Post by admin »

Did you try opening it up to see if it's been tampered with. Also, the balance on my CJ preamp only adjusts the channel volume ever so slightly (I think only 0.3 db per click) so it may be difficult to tell (unlike most modern day equipment which will fully mute a channel). Not sure if the Premier 10's balance controls are similar to my PV12 but I could imagine this being the case.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

When I fully turned the balance control to one side, there are still some sound came from the other channel and it was not totally mute. My other CJ Premier 2 pre-amp balance control can fully mute a channel and therefore I expect the Premier 10 will do the same thing. I wonder whether it is normal?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like it is normal. At maximum you will only get a 4 db attenuation of the signal. Here is the quote from the Premier 10 manual:
BALANCE: This control is an eleven position stepped attenuator, adjusting
the channel balance in approximately .75 dB steps. The maximum
attenuation is under 4 dB, so both channels will be present even
in the extreme positions. In normal use the control will be centered.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

OK and thanks for the info.