Premier 17 LS2 and valves

The PV-1 to now...
cromm2
Regular
Regular

Premier 17 LS2 and valves

Post by cromm2 »

Hello,
My name is Daniel and this is my first post. Thanks for keep running this fórum.

I have a CJ PFR and a CJ Premier 17 LS2 with the stock EH 6922 and it's time to retube it.
I have read a lot about the big number of tubes to buy, but I have choosen only two options:

. Tesla NOS 6922
. Genalex Gold Lion 6922

My kind of sound is dinamic, with punch, big holographic scene, warm sound, very present and rounded bass, forwarded voices ....
Please, would you help me about which is the best option of the both described?

Many thanks and best regards

Daniel
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Premier 17 LS2 and valves

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Daniel, greetings from melbourne.
Re. To which tubes, all depends on what you're after. Generally the stock tubes that comes with cj gear are quite good because of being tested, matched and burnt in. The prem 17LS is one of their previous models so obviously the choice/ brand of tubes is your choice. I would actually buy both since they don't cost much and try them out. In this world of audio, especially tubes, although there maybe very good reviews, it may work out differently to each person. You can only consider reviews as a guideline. At the end of the day, the sound has to be based on what you're looking for and something that pleases your ears, not someone elses.

If you are able to experience different tubes in your preamp without having to purchase that would be great! But this is nearly impossible since you have to wait for a while for the system to settle in before confirming which is better. On the other hand, no dealer is going to have a spare set of tubes such as these to try out/demo.

Based on practicality, I would suggest to buy whatever you can afford and try them out for yourself. Only your ears are the final judge!
Hopes this helps, cheers
RJ
cromm2
Regular
Regular

Post by cromm2 »

Hi RJ,
Many thanks for your answer.

Well, it's hard to find anyone who wants to leave me some tubes to try them, and I'm afraid I must to take the risk and buy one of both to test it.
I'm agree with you about I have to try for myself, but now I can`t buy both and I would like to choose the tube nearest to my taste, as I wrote before.

I have read a lot about options and I don't want to get more of two options to choose. It seems like the Genalex would be the better option, but I'm wondering if the Tesla NOS would sound better......

Greetings from Barcelona

Daniel
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Hi Daniel,

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters but have you considered mixing two different brands of tubes in the 17LS? As long as you do not mix different types such as 6DJ8 with 6922 or 6922 with 7308, etc. this may open a whole different experience for you. In the 17LS tubes V1 and V2 are for the right channel and V3 and V4 are for the left. You might want to try one brand of 6922 in V1 and V3 while using another brand in V2 and V4, or vice versa. When I owned the 17LS I tried this a number of times with good results.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Joe
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
cromm2
Regular
Regular

Post by cromm2 »

Hi Joe,

Ufff. If it is a hard work to choose the correct valve, I can't imagine how would be to find the two best tubes por my preamp. :-). But maybe it's a good idea to try both of them (Tesla & Genalex) and try to do the possible combinations.

Many thanks for your idea.

Best regards

Daniel
cromm2
Regular
Regular

Post by cromm2 »

Hi again, Joe,

Then, and to avoid mistakes, Can I use the following combinations on my CJ?

. Electro Harmonix 6922 & Tesla NOS E88CC
. Tesla NOS E88CC & Genalex E88CC Gold Lion
. Electro Harmonix 6922 & Genalex E88CC Gold Lion

Many thanks for your help
Regards

Daniel
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Hi Daniel,

Yes, they're all 6922/E88CC tubes and have similar electrical characteristics. I know of some who have even mixed types but that always seemed worrisome to me.

Let me stir the pot again. I have used 6DJ8/ECC88, 7DJ8/PCC88, 6922/E88CC, 7308/E188CC, and 6H23 (Russian equivalent of 6922) in both my 17LS and 16LS2 all with good results. It seems that conrad-johnson's preamps (and amps for that matter) haven't met a tube it does not like. Just, depending on the model, they like some better than others. :)

The Premier 17LS is an excellent preamp. Good luck in your ventures.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
cromm2
Regular
Regular

Post by cromm2 »

Hi Joe,
Good news. Conrad Johnson would be reasonable about tubes.
Maybe it's time to get some tubes and try. First, two Tesla I have just bought.
Thanks again for your help and have a nice day !!

Daniel