other new PV-7 caretaker/ owner

The PV-1 to now...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: other new PV-7 caretaker/ owner

Post by admin »

Solyndraloxnda3bears wrote: My question:I have the Hafler electrostatic 2+2's and slave amp and C-J out back in a Mayflower van and it's winter again and temps can drop to ZERO. Is it okay to be storing this stuff in that temperature range? I understand about that it should 'thaw' before turning it on. Thanks, chris
I typically would not recommend storing them outside under these conditions. I do not think the electronic components would be damaged by the cold (resistors, tubes, wiring, transformers, etc can certainly tolerate sub zero temperatures). However, I find that wood seems to do a fair amount of contracting/expanding with temperature changes. The speakers may not be in a very good condition after undergoing 30+ degree daily temperature shifts for months on end. I would also worry about condensation on your other components as metal will attract a bit of moisture out of the air (same concept as seeing frost on the ground even though it didn't snow or rain).

It's up to you of course but I would try to get the equipment into the basement at the very least.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Solyndraloxnda3bears
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Solyndraloxnda3bears »

Thanks for the advice, chris
Solyndraloxnda3bears
Frequent User
Frequent User

Okay. I was looking at bringing it all inside (I think it was about 10 or 12 f. this morning); but there are 2 problems with that. We live in about 650 sq. ft., and and when I tried it the first time - and melted down the system..with Bee Gees, tragically! being the last signal to the C-Johnson before the crash - my wife was of the opinion that it dominated the space too much, and she didn't like that; and our daughter thought it was simply overkill: "We don't need speakers like they got at the white house, Dad." And I am scheduled for my second hernia surgery in just 14 days, and the last time I brought them up here (without help) was a few weeks before I was going in for the first operation and, oh! yes, our place is upstairs and there's a sharp corner to turn on the landing, and last time we were kicked out, I scuffed a corner of the grill-fabric at the 8-ft. summit of one of them, when - making that turn - we grazed the stucco..because my arm got weak; and though my wife is out of town right now - so conceivably, I could do it - I don't have any help available, which puts an equal force against a meddle-free window of opportunity ending this evening. But now it came to me that the other problem is last time I had it all up here there was but one caT in the household and now there are THREE..and when the two new ones see those magnificent speakers, what they will be seeing in their minds' eyes is twin 8-ft. climbing walls, and that'll be the end of it..I'll murder the cats and get sent to the pound! to be destroyed. So I think I will work out covering them with kustom sheets of plastic, and then sleeping-bags over that; and hopefully retard the expansion of the wood sufficiently to preserve their awesome sound reproduction capabilities for the posterity. Okay? ~chris
PS: Also, I've been hanging insulation in the trailer. There's something thrilling for me about sitting in a 43' moving van, by forests, with the dog; and looking out through an open loading-door at snow, falling fresh, pure..like the Seeburg outputting through a Conrad-Johnson PV-7; and getting up off the couch, dropping a dime in the slot and punching the number and letter that gets ELVIS singing 'Blue Christmas' off an RCA E.P. 7' 45, taken from the album, 'Elvis Sings The Songs Of Christmas'. I don't know about you..but that turns me on, --a little. ~c.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Those are some serious limitations. 650 sq ft apartment, wow brings back memories when I was in school.

Do you have any friends that could give up a little space in their basement for the winter? Sounds like you simply don't have the room right now to bring all this stuff inside but at the same time I would hate to see such awesome equipment ruined by the elements.

BTW- best of luck with your scheduled surgery.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Solyndraloxnda3bears
Frequent User
Frequent User

Exactly! Our daughter's returning home tomorrow to transfer to a campus closer to home and share rent with her brother who is renting a room for too much money someplace else. They are considering an apartment that's 700 sq. ft., right above, and over a jog from the college football field. I'd ask her about space, but I think she already gave an answer on the last occasion she came in the door and saw the speakers. (Why the 'W' in ANSWER? It's just frivolous waste of a great letter, Double 'U' "..a big double-ewe!")
Hey, speaking of colleges, when I was in shcool I lived in a room at the end of the hall on a third floor in a crumbley Victorian with a wrap-around kitchen-window view of a big chunk of uptown Frisco..$110/month in a designated laid-back 'welfare' community, by the Zen Center, listening to a local, and very eccentric jazz station, often broacasting rarities going way back into the 20's from 655 Sutter Street. You can hear some air-checks online at the website BAYAREARADIOMUSEUM.ORG and the station was KMPX and the best presenters were Jim Watt and Bill Chase (IMO). Listening to these guys was like having a record-party in your living-room and sharing favorites with your good friends,
who never failed to bring out some real gems!
Thanks for your thoughtful recommendations, and well wishes. I'll give you an update on my progress, but boy! did that last one hurt..Merry Christmas, all, --Love,chris
PS: I've been tossing around the idea of somehow making a kustom cartridge for the Seeburg to replace the standard 'Pickering 0342D' (or whatever it's called) that could really dig stuff deep out of the vinyl to pump through those Hafler's..like one of those Japanese things built in a pink-tinted pear-tree wood body that retails for about half the national debt. Silly me! ~c.
Solyndraloxnda3bears
Frequent User
Frequent User

I hate to get started, --but I have tigget started and the only way ta get started is get started..so here goes, I am preparing to sell off a lot of high end stereo components. Of course the one of major interest here is the PV-7 (I'm thinking 1200); then the other stuff is a Delta 200 amp by PS Audio which is an awesome amp (read about it in STEREO REVIEW). Btw, all this stuff was put together by my friend who had a music store way back then, and with him it was everything 1st class, so this is a pile of 80's vintage hi-fi. There's the ACOUSTAT speakers, 8' tall 2+2 coils model 121-c, and the CALIFORNIA AUDIO LABS DX-1 cd player, there's a digital fm tuner, if anyone's interested in that (I think fm broadcasting is dead now, but that's just my op.ed) So right now I have to hook everything and make sure it still all works, I've just been storing it for a couple years, so it should still work, but so there's no doubt, I'm turning it back on and turning IT UP. So I am mentioning this now in advance, and if anybody's interested, let's develop a dialog. okay that's it i'm posting NOW
Solyndraloxnda3bears
Frequent User
Frequent User

You can post photos by either uploading them directly via the "attachments" tab, or via other hosting and using the "insert image" button. These are on the "full editor" reply selection (not quick reply).

We do have a classifieds section on CJO that you can list equipment: https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewforum.php?f=24
Solyndraloxnda3bears
Frequent User
Frequent User

Thanks..for the help. ~cris