CJ PV-12L: Recommendations for Tubes

The PV-1 to now...
BNR_1
Regular
Regular

CJ PV-12L: Recommendations for Tubes

Post by BNR_1 »

I have a CJ PV-12L with a pair of RCA JRC-6189/12AU7WA tubes. The unit sounds good, but I have no reference when it comes to this setup (pre and tubes). Can anyone provide their experience, opinion, recommendations, etc. as far as different make tubes and this pre?

This unit is paired up with a Dynaco ST-70 (restored but stock form) and Dynaco A-25. The music source is ALAC files played through an Apple Ipod, Pure-20, and Schitt BiFrost DAC. Occasionally, I will play vinyl on a Technics SL-1600 through a Budgie phono. But regardless of the source it all channels back to the CJ.

Thanks
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ PV-12L: Recommendations for Tubes

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, definitely nice to see another pv12. One wonderful sounding musical instrument done in true classic style by cj. Although I didn't do much tube rolling when I was using the pv12, at one point I substituted for mullards. They were really nice and gave the pv12 a more enveloping sound with a fuller sound stage. Having said that, the stock tubes provided with the pv12 were just as fine. I later sold off the pv12 with the standard tubes and retained the mullards for premier series preamps, which again I ventured into so many over a period of time.

Overall, I think the pv12 was one of those preamps that no matter what you do to it trying to make it sound better, it was just as good the way it was. With perhaps subtle differences along with brands of tubes used. Mullards were definitely preferred over the EH types (electro harmonix) but this again is very personal. Hence, would be better if you tried it for yourself and made the choice. At the end of the day, only your ears are the final judge.

Perhaps admin can contribute since he's being using a pv12 for quite a while, and seems to work really well with his current setup (cj evolution and maggies).

Have a good one, cheers
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As mentioned above I use a PV-12L. About 4 years ago one of the tubes went bad and I ordered a replacement. For the love of god, I can't remember off the top of my head what specific tube it was. I called CJ and had a wonderful (and quite lengthy) conversation with Ed. He helped me trouble shoot the problem (I was getting a low level static sound in my unit) and recommended a tube replacement. Sadly, he is now retired from what I hear and no longer working at CJ. Sorry I can't be of more help, I have to dig out that old invoice to see exactly which tube it was that they sent, but the unit sounds absolutely wonderful ever since. You may want to call CJ and see what they recommend.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
BNR_1
Regular
Regular

Post by BNR_1 »

Thank you all for your responses. Anyone else?

I may have to drop a few different tubes in just to see what my ears tell me. I was hoping others would chime in with their vast experience with this particular pre-amp and tubes.
epiengineer
Regular
Regular

Post by epiengineer »

I have a PV-12AL and have tried a number of different tubes, but am really not good at describing them. I've tried Mullard, Brimar, RCA clear tops, Amperex Bugle Boy, and Telefunken, among others. I also tried some Baldwin tubes from an old organ, which were surprisingly good. It's hard to say what were "best" but possibly Telefunken or Amperex on the brighter end and Mullard or Brimar on the warmer end (other people may think my assessment is wrong - like I said, I'm not good at describing them), and the clear tops were good bang for the buck. Brent Jessee has a good inventory and describes the tubes well (http://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm).