Tube rolling and recommendation in a Premier 14

The PV-1 to now...
AudioDon
Frequent User
Frequent User

Tube rolling and recommendation in a Premier 14

Post by AudioDon »

Hi,
I've been trying some tube rolling with my Premier 14 preamp, and I'm not hearing a difference. Are there listeners here who have had a similar or different experience? I've tried Sylvania's, Mullard's and Hitachi's. I read somewhere that the rear pair of tubes have more of an impact on the sound. Is that accurate? Recently when I was trying to sort out a cartridge issue, I noticed a slight harmonic sound, almost a ringing in one channel. Is this whats referred to as microphonics?

Right now the pre is paired to a Premier 11A. As I write this I'm thinking I should do some comparison with different sources and a different amp to isolate the harmonic I spoke of.

Thanks,
Don
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tube rolling and recommendation in a Premier 14

Post by admin »

Can't help you with the Premier 14 as I don't own that lovely piece of equipment. As for tube microphonices, this may be of help: https://www.tubedepot.com/what-is-a-microphonic-tube
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
lsyankees
New User
New User

Post by lsyankees »

I have the same setup. Premier 14 connected to a Premier 11A. I have had tubes in the past produce microphonics within the premier 14. Currently have mullard's with hitachi's. Have you tried switching tubes in the pre from one channel to the other to see if it changes. One way to test is open the top cover and with a pencil eraser, lightly tap the tubes. If you hear ringing, then it is the tube that you touched. Have you confirmed it is not coming from the amp.
Tonydog
Regular
Regular

Post by Tonydog »

Hi.

I have the same set up. I'm not hearing much except for a tiny hissss on both speakers. I have a feeling its the input tubes or out put tubes on the amps.

My Prem 14 i just bought didn't come with the rubber rings on the tubes. I think those help. Do you have those rubber rings?

-Anthony
Tonydog
Regular
Regular

Post by Tonydog »

Whoops!
I didn't realize how old the thread was/ is..