Best Option - Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp, $1,800.00 Or Under - Used

The PV-1 to now...
Highlander
Regular
Regular

Best Option - Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp, $1,800.00 Or Under - Used

Post by Highlander »

As the title says, I am looking for my best option in a Conrad Johnson tube preamp with an $1,800.00 price limit. I would be buying used to maximize purchasing power and value.

This will be paired with a First Watt F6 power amplifier. This is a wonderful amp, and with the right dose of tube magic from a pre, should make a great combination. I would appreciate your thoughts on what would be the best choice(s) available in this price range, that will add the golden glow of tubes to this scenario. It appears that the newer models have less of this characteristic? Thanks for any assistance.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Best Option - Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp, $1,800.00 Or Under - Used

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, Just came across your post.
Have you managed to get hold of anything as yet?

Any of the older cj preamps are super fine, if you can find one in mint condition. I'm not too sure about the $1800 price range, I do know for a fact there would be over a thousand preamps that you could choose from including other well known brands.

Any of the pv series are very good: pv8, 10, 12 would certainly be within that range. The premier series would be more and these are hard to find in both preamps & power amps. Many years ago I sold off a pv10al in mint condition for just $900. It was a beautiful preamp, very simple to use but that's here in melbourne, not sure where you are located.

I would try to find the closest cj dealer and check with them if they happen to have any trade-ins or demo models for quick sale. You never know what nice gear you may find. I wonder whether you could strech your budget a little and go for a brand new classic preamp, they are well worth the spend and probably one preamp you could happily live with provided you're not after remote and balance control. I would look into that.
I used a classic se version for sometime and it was wonderful. Matched with the power amp very easily.

Have a good one, and happy findings.
Cheers, RJ
Highlander
Regular
Regular

Post by Highlander »

RJ,

thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated. I just came across a mint condition Classic SE that had just returned from a complete checkup at Conrad Johnson, wherein they had tested and verified everything and also installed a new set of tubes. I was even able to pick it up for far less than my $1,800.00 limit. Based on the many glowing comments about that unit, I feel it should be exactly what I need.

Oddly enough it was your comments in a recent thread here that gave me the final push to go in that direction:

"Having said that even the more affordable ET3se is equally good and to me the Classic SE is simply superb! For the money the classic se beats all except the Gat, only downside it doesn't have remote nor balance control, so what...

The pv15 was very nice sounding preamp partnered with the mv60se. The ET3SE took this to a slightly higher level in terms of overall refinement and soundstage but then the Classic SE was just simply marvelous! One preamp I should have kept just for classic simplicity. Superb value for money."

JC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hooray! It's a classic indeed.

Well done mate. This is one preamp that you will simply love for endless hours of pure musical enjoyment. After a few months of getting used to it, you start to wonder why the hec pay more for a preamp, and can it get any better...

The SE version is outstanding, it will capture every single detail and subtle nuances from your favorite recordings. Like I said it doesn't have the balance function or remote- big deal!

It does have a solid feel to the controls, it has a very well designed circuit with superb electronics and quality transformers, high quality rca connectors and a decent weight to it. To top it all up, it has that absolute "classic cj" look. Fit a good quality reference standard phono stage to it and you'll have a state of the art front end.

Can't go wrong with this one, I'm more excited than you!
Enjoy and do let us know how it added more musical pleasure to your system. Also, don't forget the SE version requires some time to settle in, and after a couple of months it will suddenly take off opening up the soundstage like never before. This is the hall mark of every cj component that bears the "SE" mark. Once you listen to their SE versions of any gear, they are so enjoyable you cannot live without it!

Cheers mate, do have a good one, enjoy that music.
RJ
Highlander
Regular
Regular

Post by Highlander »

Thanks RJ!

I'm excited and very pleased to have found a Classic SE in perfect condition, and especially right after a checkup at Conrad Johnson, and with new tubes to boot. To also get it at a great price was an additional bonus. A balance control and remote don't matter to me at all, I bought this unit solely for sound quality. It will arrive roughly mid-week, and can't wait to plug it into the system and hear what it can do. I promise to report back.

JC
Highlander
Regular
Regular

Post by Highlander »

Quick question. Does Conrad Johnson sell the 8080 replacement tubes for the Classic SE? There have been comments that some of the CJ preamps really go through tubes (not sure if the Classic SE is one of those models), and also limited availability of NOS 8080 tubes. Just wondering if I should stock up on at least a spare pair or two. At the moment, I have a source for matched, NOS Mullards from the 60's at a reasonable price.

JC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey JC how's it going?

Cj preamps do through tubes as is the case with any other tube electronics manufacturer. In my 25 years or so being with cj and a host of others, my sincere advice is turn off the system when not in use. It is also not required to warm up tubes, they are pretty much good to go right after a few minutes unlike solid state. 5 mins warm up is fine and when shutting down, turn off straight away without allowing them to idle for too long...

All of this would extend tube life. As for keeping them very quiet, it is extremely difficult to find a perfect tube. They can even go bad or weak during transit, although you would purchase a brand new pair, the minute they get shaken around, their tube life diminishes. Tubes must be handled with care as much as possible.

With ref to M8080 tubes for the classic se, cj has a plentiful stock of these which will last for generations. By the time they run out of stock, you would have lost your hearing. ..

Always good to keep a reserve pair just in case but these are input signal tubes which don't cause major issues unlike big high current output tubes. If the tubes are really weak and going fuzzy, you will notice a very dull sound, lack of life and energy. This would be where they require changing.

Since your classic se has just been recently checked by cj, I think you're good to go for a few years. I wouldn't sweat it. Just enjoy that music once it arrives.
Cheers, RJ
bgiliberti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bgiliberti »

I have the Classic SE and agree it's a great preamp, I waited almost 2 years/2000 hours to replace the tubes, and that was too long -- the immediate improvement was a little too noticeable, meaning it was sub-optimal for a while, even though I didn't really notice. I think 18 months /1500 hours is a safe bet. FWIW,, the lack of remote has turned out to be a major source of exercise, since the CJ volume control way overesponds to the slightest twitch. It's hard to get it to the right place without getting up 5 times. Every CJ preamp I've owned has been like that, so I guess there's a reason.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, agreed with that mate. The level control on cj preamps are quite sensitive and remote level controlled did certainly help. Having said that, I never thought of it as an issue until I actually got up like you more than 5 times to adjust. After a while, I got used to it and it felt like driving a wonderful sports car with manual transmission. When I started using the remote function, it felt weird, like driving an automatic transmission. ..

It just didn't feel right at first. If I had the option of selling off my Act2, for a manual adjustable level control based on similar standards, I would very easily be pleased with. I really miss those wonderful golden knobs to touch and feel the power and finesse of a fine preamp.

That classic preamp is going to be one very hard preamp to beat. Matching all round, from sonics, to simplicity to overall performance, to me it is probably the best preamp money could buy for the value. I obviously haven't heard all competitor preamps in similar price range but who cares, enjoying the classic is an absolute pleasure!
Cheers, RJ
Highlander
Regular
Regular

Post by Highlander »

My early impressions of the Classic SE are nothing but extremely positive. It has an ease with which it seems able to portray music that is rare indeed. On a number of good recordings I've listened to, there is also almost a 3D aura to the sound that is simply wonderful. The quality of bass is exceptional too, and was an unexpected surprise. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my decision and the purchase. I will admit that the sensitivity of the control knob is a bit of an early challenge, but, like you, RJ, I'm sure I will master it.

I had a bit of concern when I first unpacked the preamp, not that it wasn't in excellent condition, as claimed, and well packed in a new box and packaging fresh from it's checkup at Conrad Johnson. However, when I lifted it up from the packaging, I heard a single rattle, almost like a screw was loose inside the unit. I opened it up, checked everything carefully, and all was pristine and clear of any object or debris. Whatever the shipping company caused to become loose must be under the circuit board. After a bit, there was no longer any sound of a loose piece, as it must have lodged somewhere. I did one final check before closing up the unit, installed it, plugged it in and hoped for the best, and all is well. Since it will likely never move from it's current position right next to my listening chair, I suppose there is no continued reason for concern, especially as it is performing perfectly.

JC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey JC, glad to hear that you are enjoying your classic se, I am sure you will be extremely delighted with it, especially after a few weeks to couple months, it will just shift a couple gears in overall performance. Trust me, you will know.

Re. To the loose part inside, shouldn't be a major issue. I cannot quite remember the full layout of the classic, other than I do remember it being very simple. I am not sure if there is actually another level of a circuit board. I thought it was just all fitted and laid out on one board, having the caps neatly on one side a very simple circuit on the other. With the pair of tubes easily accessible and the transformer with protection fuses located towards the back right of the chassis. Is that about right?

Anyway, if all is well and no apparent internal noise or anything unusual, I think it's fine!

There is one thing you could do and can be easily done, since you think it maybe something from below... try opening up the bottom cover instead and have a quick look. Turning the preamp upside down won't do any harm, just to be sure.

Also, remember after all is checked and bottom cover is back, make sure you press down on the tubes just to make sure they are in good contact with the pins/tube sockets. Let us know if you find anything unusual.

Have a good one mate,
Cheers, RJ
bgiliberti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bgiliberti »

On mine, the bottom doesn't come off. Just the top. I wouldn't worry about whatever it was at this point.