PV7 - MM or MC phono cartridge compatbility

The PV-1 to now...
Elrick
Regular
Regular

PV7 - MM or MC phono cartridge compatbility

Post by Elrick »

I picked up a new (used) Denon DP62L turntable the other day and need cartridge. I'm interested in trying a Denon DL-110 or DL-103 cartridge, but not sure if the PV7 will play good with these moving coil cartridges. The DL-110 is considered a high output moving coil (HOMC) cartridge with 1.6mV output. The DL103 is a normal MC cartridge with 0.3mV output.

I looked through the PV7 manual and it didn't mention any internal settings or jumpers to change the phono input characteristics. I thick I read that it will distort at 0.5V input and had 47KOhm input impedance. This will be my first venture into MC cartridges but just not sure if it's suitable in my case. Any one have any other cartridge recommendations for the Denon DP-62L with the c-j PV7 ?

Thanks, hope my question makes sense.
petertg
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: PV7 - MM or MC phono cartridge compatbility

Post by petertg »

Neither of these cartridges suits the pv7. For the dl103 you will need a step up transformer with at least 22db of gain (1:13 turns ratio). Denon makes a nice one (au-s1). For the dl110 the denon au-300lc should work. Otherwise stick to mm cartridges, audio technica makes some that are mc-like sounding - very clear and transparent.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

Another option would be a high output MC cartridge like the Sumiko Blackbird. A great performing cartridge but at the higher price point.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura
Elrick
Regular
Regular

Post by Elrick »

Just thought I would report back. The Denon DL110 (High Output Moving Coil) cartridge that I installed works wonderfully on the cj PV7. Sounds way better in every way than the standard MM carts I have used for the last 40 years. If I ever decide to make the move up to a Low Output Moving Coil cart like the DL103 line, a separate phono preamp stage is indeed needed, but not with the DL110. Got to say, my new 35 year old Denon DP62L direct drive w/ servo controlled tone arm is the best performing table I have tried. I'm listening to mostly LP's now, depending on the record they sound better than CD!