PV14L and receiver for headphone amp

The PV-1 to now...
DennisC
Beginner
Beginner

PV14L and receiver for headphone amp

Post by DennisC »

I use an older receiver as a headphone amp. Its source has been the analog outs from my CD player. The CD player raw coax output goes to a external DAC then to the main system via my CJ PV14L preamp. I believe that I can connect the receiver to the DAC for headphone listening using the CJ's EPL (external processor loop) circuitry but the CJ manual language is minimal and isn't clear to me.

If I understand the manual correctly, with "CD" (DAC) input selected, when I select "Source" out, the signal will go through the line stage to the power amp as usual but if I select "EPL" out, the signal bypasses the line stage and loop to the receiver through the (EPL Out) as if the DAC were directly connected to it. Or should I use the "Theater" out, which according to the manual "sets the level at unity gain for both channels" since the receiver (as headphone amp) controls volume? My concern is overdriving the Parasound's preamp section and damaging one or both preamps. I guess I'm not clear on "line stage", "line level", or "unity gain". I'd love to actually have the PV14L drive the receiver and headphones but I don't think that's doable with the current equipment.

Secondary question: Can I safely connect the receiver's tuner to the the PV14L via its "Tape Out" to the preamp's "Tuner" input?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV14L and receiver for headphone amp

Post by admin »

I don't own the PV14 but I am fairly certain that you can use all these inputs and outputs without damaging anything. Basically everything is at the same gain level range (the only exemption would be the phono stage, but you don't have that in your CJ model).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.