Re-tubing Premier 17LS2

The PV-1 to now...
vidal23
Beginner
Beginner

Re-tubing Premier 17LS2

Post by vidal23 »

I recently bought a CJ Premier 17LS2 with electro-harmonix 6922 EH tubes. Could you tell me the best tubes for this preamp? Thanks
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: Re-tubing Premier 17LS2

Post by pstrisik »

vidal23 wrote:I recently bought a CJ Premier 17LS2 with electro-harmonix 6922 EH tubes. Could you tell me the best tubes for this preamp? Thanks
I had the 17LS and settled on gold lions. Never tried exotic NOS, but the gold lions were clearly superior to the EH gold pins I also had.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Just like Peter, I had the previous 17LS version of the preamp and my favorites were the Amperex 7308. Not cheap but also not super expensive either. Years later I had the 16LS2 (also not a Teflon capacitor-based model) and really liked the Telefunken PCC88/7DJ8 (which were actually made by Siemens). They're about the same price. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post a vendor's web address so I won't but if you're interested in either then send me a PM. No affiliation with the vendor other than he's always supplied good tubes and service when I'd dealt with him.

Update: Based on the Administrators comments, the vendor I'd been referring to is http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922/. Thanks for permission.

My personal progression in c-j preamps was from a PV-10AL (modified by Bill Thalmann to a 10A), 17LS and finally a 16LS2. Each one had its charms but my favorite was the 16LS2. Within the last year or so I've decided to simplify things and that's why I've gone to a c-j integrated (the CA200) and while I sometimes still yearn for that special tube magic, the CA200 doesn't disappoint.
Last edited by Joe Appierto on Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe Appierto wrote:.... I'm not sure if we're allowed to post a vendor's web address so I won't but if you're interested in either then send me a PM....
If you have an experience with a vendor/store it's ok to post so that other people know about good/bad experiences. I have no problem with site/vendor reviews which are pertinent to CJ equipment.

On a side note, I'm really jealous hearing about the Premer 17 you guys have, although I love my PV12, I would love to get a 17 into my system! :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.