Conrad Johnson SC 25 Sonographe.

The PV-1 to now...
ol-fa
Regular
Regular

Conrad Johnson SC 25 Sonographe.

Post by ol-fa »

I bought this amazing preamp some days ago. It has a most likeable sound quality BUT, some strange harshness when light pianotones or trumpettones are played. I would like to ask other owners if this is something I will have to live with ?
Will this change when played more With ? Do anyone know a way to Cure this ?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conrad Johnson SC 25 Sonographe.

Post by admin »

First, welcome to the site. :)

So this "harshness" is with only certain frequencies? I would run a test tone CD and see if you could narrow it down to what frequency it is happening at. Also, I presume you tried this with a different set of speakers to make sure it's not potentially a speaker or amp issue. Is the harshness effected by volume (meaning that it is only apparent with high volume but ok with low (or vice versa))? Also, is it in both channels?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
ol-fa
Regular
Regular

Post by ol-fa »

I have just changed from McIntosh C-15 to SC 25. I have not changed anything else. Signals from Hegel HD2 through the SC 25, a Musical Innovation MI18 and my well known Infinity Kappa 7. The SC 25 play with a huge soundstage, great airyness and somewhat more punch from bottom to top; Which I like. It Plays so convincing that it is hard to believe that it should be so poor when a trumpet enters the scene. It performs somewhat like a brand new component that have not been broken in yet. I am letting it play nonstop now hoping it need a break-in ?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As I stated above, I would definitely try it with a different set of speakers to make sure it's not the speakers that are having performance issues. Also, if it is indeed the sonographe, knowing the answers to the questions I posed can help narrow down the fault to a specific area of the circuit.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
ol-fa
Regular
Regular

Post by ol-fa »

I can happily tell you that the unit just needed to break in. I have been playing almost nonstop since I got it; It is the best preamp I have ever owned ! I feel it still is improving ..........?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ol-fa wrote:I can happily tell you that the unit just needed to break in. I have been playing almost nonstop since I got it; It is the best preamp I have ever owned ! I feel it still is improving ..........?
Glad to hear it's coming around and your happy. Nothing like listening to a CJ piece of equipment that sounds wonderful.

If you have time, perhaps you can post some pics of your setyp in the "Member Systems Gallery"?
-admin