Newbie PV11 questions ...

The PV-1 to now...
Too much stuff!
New User
New User

Newbie PV11 questions ...

Post by Too much stuff! »

Hello, my name is Tom. I'm new here and I have an audio addiction problem!

Now that the intro is over, I plan on acquiring a PV11L next weekend and have a few questions. If they have already been addressed please point me in the right direction, but I did try searching with no results and there is no owners manual with the preamp.

1) Has anyone seen this rebuilt PV11 on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsN-thCtvE0

I was wondering if any of our members might own this preamp and know what kind/value the PS caps are. The PV11 I'm looking at functions properly, but I am a proponent of preventative maintenance rather than waiting until something breaks down and causes more damage. I'm far from an EE but have no problem replacing parts if I know what needs to be done.

2) I'm looking at the linestage only version, but I'm wondering if CJ offered the phono boards as a separate add-on? Not really a deal breaker for me as I still have to get my turntable a rebuild anyway and I don't mind getting a separate phono preamp ... but inquiring minds need to know. I imagine it would have also included a different faceplate too?

3) Can 12BH7's be subbed for the 12AU7's without circuit mods?

4) Has anyone tried 5814's in lieu of the 12AU7's in their PV11L? Does the reduced gain of the 5814 cause any issues other than reducing the gain?

5) Does CJ voice the PV11L for any specific brand of vintage tubes?

I have quite a few different vintage 12AU7's which I like to roll to try to get the sound I like, but thought it might be quickest to hear what others think sounds best in their system. I know that's very subjective, but sometimes that's a product of the tube so rolling if very effective, and others it's the circuit design so not much change in sound when rolling.

Sorry for all the questions, but this would be my first pc of CJ gear, although I have numerous other tube gear. I love vintage 1950's-60's mono and stereo gear for the type of sound it produces and in my research I think the CJ PV11L will provide that lush sound too but in a more modern package. (Maybe not as much as a PV5 though?) I was also looking at other used preamps: ARC 6A or B, Audible illusions, Cary, Sonic Frontiers and thought older CJ would be the best choice for what I would like to hear - lush yet detailed.
Tom
bkrpdx
Regular
Regular

Re: Newbie PV11 questions ...

Post by bkrpdx »

I do not know the answers to your questions, but I do have a PV11, and I have the manual as well. I could probably be talked into scanning and emailing the manual. Regarding tubes, you can call c-j support, and they will tell you their opinion on tubes, 703-698-8581, but they definitely are not very open to alternatives.

Mine has had the filter and coupling caps replaced, Audiocap Theta used in signal path.

Tubes are (but mine has phono):

2 Telefunken U/Tan matched for phono -- should be 12AX7
1 NOS 5751 phono buffer -- should be 5751
1 NOS RCA 12AT7 phono line match -- should be 12AU7
2 NOS RCA 12AT7 gain match line driver -- should be 12AU7

"The indiscriminate substitution of type 12AX7 tubes for the 5751 will seriously degrade the sonic performance of the unit."

Brian.
mharris3344
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mharris3344 »

Brian. Hello, currently having my pv 11 refurbished. Did yoy ever scan the manual. Been lookinf for any and all manuals for the pv 11 , any ideas . Mharris3344@sbcglobal.net. . Mark harris . I aquired all the tubes ,nos and checked thru upscale audio out where i live in southern cal.
bkrpdx
Regular
Regular

Post by bkrpdx »

Email sent.

Brian.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you guys have a copy of the PV11 manual, I can put it into our database for download. You can email me the manual at admin@conradjohnsonowners.com . Thanks.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
bkrpdx
Regular
Regular

Post by bkrpdx »

Admin,

Email sent.

Brian.
bkrpdx
Regular
Regular

Post by bkrpdx »

Admin,

Your email rejected mine.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bkrpdx wrote:Admin,

Your email rejected mine.
Yup, can confirm there is something wrong with the email address. I have a support ticket open with my hosting company. Will keep you updated when it starts working again. Thanks for letting me know there was a problem.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mharris3344
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mharris3344 »

Hello brkpdx. I am so thankful for your quik response. I am printing as i write . Got all pages . Thank you . I will post my new set up as soon as my amp doctor is done with it along with a stock 1210 mk11 i had upgraded with all the internal parts upgraded where it made sense. . Thank s again and have a great 2016 .
egay
Beginner
Beginner

Post by egay »

Hello Tom,

I just acquired my PV11L yesterday and it is playing very well with my Wadia A340 Amps. It has been modified by my friend who is quite known in our 'circle' for Mods and Restorations. The Preamp looks really 'dated' that at first I didn't like it's aesthetics due to potential clash with my system (and my 'taste') - and then I heard it, and I'm hooked.

I just downloaded the Owners Manual from the CJ Website via the Products/Vintage Products; here's the link (if you still have not gotten one):
http://conradjohnson.com/vintage-conrad ... -products/

I think there is a thread here that puts the Diagram, too.

Greets from Manila!

Egay

.e.