Convert PV10-al to PV-10-a

The PV-1 to now...
Asitreadalong
Beginner
Beginner

Convert PV10-al to PV-10-a

Post by Asitreadalong »

Just picked up a new in box never used CJ PV10-AL. Any suggestions for adding the phono section to the amp? DIY or service companies?

Should I add an outboard phono pre? Any suggestions?

Glad to own such a nice piece of equipment sad that I now have high fidelity bug
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Convert PV10-al to PV-10-a

Post by admin »

First, welcome to the site. Great to have you.

If you plan to add the phone section you will have to send the unit in to CJ as I don't see phono sections on sale by themselves on ebay or other sites.

There are of course a large number of really great phono preamps available. If you are comfortable with a soldering iron, I would highly recommend the Jolida JD9 as it can be modded to sound top of the line and is inexpensive. I wrote a review and upgrade guide, you can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27

Let us know what you decide! Have a great day, and once again, welcome.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Asitreadalong
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Asitreadalong »

Thanks for the welcome and really unbelievable well done step by step upgrade. Best I've ever seen in a forum. I may go that route, but I'm going to try to add the tube section to the Conrad Johnson if possible. The pre-amp I have was purchased in 1994 and never opened. Just sat in the box. I don't even know if it works. I'm going to turn it on tonight. I have a Technics sl3200 TT and QSC 1400 amp with my Apple wifi music and TV plugged in as well. The speakers are Klipsch Cornwalls. Can't wait to replace the SS cheap pre with this PV10-AL Beauty. Fingers Crossed.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I had a PV-10AL converted to a PV-10A back in the late '90's by Bill Thalmann at http://www.musictechnology.com/. While he was at it, he put in new capacitors and Cardas RCA connectors. The improvements to clarity and frequency response at both ends were not subtle. Bill used to be the number three man at conrad-johnson and was involved with the design of the PV-10A so he knows where some concessions were made to come in at the price point c-j wanted.

You might want to contact them if you decide to go that route.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
arnel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by arnel »

I am thinking of Bill Thallmann doing the same thing. How much did it cost in total? Wondering if it's worth just looking for a preamp with phono built in instead.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The conversion was done in 1998 so the cost has changed for sure. Plus, I had capacitors upgraded and Cardas RCA connectors added as well. Your best bet would be to contact them for information.

I can tell you this, what he did to the PV-10AL in its conversion to a PV-10A brought the preamp's performance up signficantly.

Hope this helps a little.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets